Study Finds gender differences have a biological basis (1 Viewer)

Awesome! My kids are all in college or high school now. I miss those days when I was teaching them sign language and spoken language. It's a really fleeting time tbh, all went too fast for me.

Not to threadjack, but sign language has been awesome for our 17 month old. I can't believe it isn't a standard method of communication offered to most or all children. She had all sorts of words way before she was able to verbally communicate them. And now that she is speaking words, she is really quick with implementation and learning. I really couldn't imagine her without her signing.

Not to threadjack, but sign language has been awesome for our 17 month old. I can't believe it isn't a standard method of communication offered to most or all children. She had all sorts of words way before she was able to verbally communicate them. And now that she is speaking words, she is really quick with implementation and learning. I really couldn't imagine her without her signing.

Without a doubt. Babies and toddlers learn at an amazing pace when starting out with sign language. My kids were always ahead of their peers when they were younger and they've all managed to continue to do well in school. I really believe it's attributable to learning ASL, then English at an early age. They're all trilingual today. Oldest is proficient in French and is taking a Japanese class in college, 2nd and third Spanish and 4th early Spanish, but wants to learn Japanese.

They're all way smarter than me...usually, lol.

my wife's friend is an pre-school and elementary teacher for deaf students and came over and did some sessions with our oldest when she was just a few months old. Her ability to learn signs quickly and use them correctly before she was pre-verbal was pretty incredible.

And we've done it with each of the two that followed her.

It eased a lot of the frustrations borne of inability to communicate, ask for something they need or want.

Our daughters were better with it than our son, and maybe that ties into the topic of the thread, I've no idea. Sample size of the 3 isn't anything I'll be submitting for publication.

But regardless, it worked terrifically for us

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom