Stupid Conversation (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Last week a friend and I are out to lunch and I don't know how it came up but he says "you know when you think you hear your own voice in your head?"

I said , "yeah?"

He says, " what do people who were born deaf "hear' when they think?"

I said that's one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard and totally dismissed it.

Later that night as I'm trying to fall asleep I think, so help me, "what DO deaf people "hear" when they think?

just felt like sharing. i know it's a tad insensitive.

Well, since we have a few deaf members here, maybe they'll chime in. But I would imagine it is no different than you or I, since you don't actually pretend to hear yourself when you think. The process is more like communicating to others, and deaf people do that too.

i dont think the internal voice changes even though you cant hear...i mean you cant really "hear" your voice inside your head so sound is irrelevant.

I'll take a stab at it.

Now, I don't know if people that are NOT born deaf are able to make words for the most part, and those born deaf make sounds not fully knowing what they are supposed to sound like in the first place.

Using that theory (which I have NO idea if it's true), one NOT born deaf can still remember what words sound like, so their thoughts are still "heard". One that was born deaf may just "feel" and "hear" the vibrations and may be "heard" that way.

Hmmm......I'd like to know myself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom