Stupid Question about 17-Game Question (1 Viewer)

How do we know they agreed to it?
IDK where they got the info from but they were talking about it like it's a done deal on sports talk yesterday. And it was Strief, not, Hebert, saying it so I believe it more than if it were the other way around.

ETA: And they also said there were talks about it being an international game too. Not just London. All over Europe and even Australia.

I think a 17 game schedule will happen and the NFL will add another BYE week. They will also cut pre-season down to two games. The 17th game will be a neutral site game. Adding a "17th game" means that each of the 32 teams plays one more game, that means there are 16 more games every season in total. That is perfect math. You add the extra game based on the current schedule formula, you maybe play the other conference and division that you played last year, again. These 16 games are broken into four sets of four games each. Say the NFC South plays the AFC South, all at a Neutral Site, four weeks in a row. Not sure where the games would be played, it really does not matter. It can be International or in the USA. Then you have the next set of four games, by two other divisions in the AFC and NFC and so forth. It would be a very natural thing for International games. You would have a four game "home" package of games, four weeks in a row, and you would know the teams well ahead of time. You could also set up the field once and have all of the equipment in place for a four game set of games in four weeks. You could even have a Division vs Division "rivalry" series that never changes. Such as NFC South and AFC South always playing each other. I personally like the rotation idea, but a "rivalry" between corresponding divisions and conferences would actually be kind of interesting.

The 17 game schedule will VERY likely happen because of MONEY, just like Thursday Night Football is not going anywhere, it is all about MONEY, to the owners AND the players.

Money is driving the NFL's quest for a 17-game schedule, and I am assuming that the principal source of additional revenue is television money, not gate receipts. Why not simply add one or two more bye weeks? With two bye weeks, there would be 18 weeks of regular season television, and if three, 19. Is this not a practical solution?

yes, I would not want three byes but I could deal with this. I still enjoy football weekends where the Saints don't play; there is always some game on that has potential to help or hurt our season. Sometimes rooting against another Falcon I mean team is almost as much fun as rooting for your own.

but this doesn't fit their agenda because it will affect TV dollars some but doesn't directly put more money in owners pockets for that extra game they play.

I think a 17 game schedule will happen and the NFL will add another BYE week. They will also cut pre-season down to two games. The 17th game will be a neutral site game. Adding a "17th game" means that each of the 32 teams plays one more game, that means there are 16 more games every season in total. That is perfect math. You add the extra game based on the current schedule formula, you maybe play the other conference and division that you played last year, again. These 16 games are broken into four sets of four games each. Say the NFC South plays the AFC South, all at a Neutral Site, four weeks in a row. Not sure where the games would be played, it really does not matter. It can be International or in the USA. Then you have the next set of four games, by two other divisions in the AFC and NFC and so forth. It would be a very natural thing for International games. You would have a four game "home" package of games, four weeks in a row, and you would know the teams well ahead of time. You could also set up the field once and have all of the equipment in place for a four game set of games in four weeks. You could even have a Division vs Division "rivalry" series that never changes. Such as NFC South and AFC South always playing each other. I personally like the rotation idea, but a "rivalry" between corresponding divisions and conferences would actually be kind of interesting.

The 17 game schedule will VERY likely happen because of MONEY, just like Thursday Night Football is not going anywhere, it is all about MONEY, to the owners AND the players.

Not a fan of "neutral" site games. Seems like a lot of uncontrollable variables to me and injuries waiting to happen from tired players or improper field conditions. Or a lot of ho hum games with neutral fans wearing who knows what jerseys. This sounds terrible and a desperate money grab when other aspects of football need to be fixed.

With the physical toll these guys take I am ok adding 1 game and removing 4th preseason game?
the starters dont play the 4th game about 90% of the time. so removing that game would mean nothing. plus the 3rd preseason game now would basically be the 2nd the way you suggest, and the fringe camp players would play about 90% of the new 3rd game.

money, it makes sense, but physically for the players it doesnt. we'll see what happens. it definitely sounds like something is about to change.

the starters dont play the 4th game about 90% of the time. so removing that game would mean nothing. plus the 3rd preseason game now would basically be the 2nd the way you suggest, and the fringe camp players would play about 90% of the new 3rd game.

money, it makes sense, but physically for the players it doesnt. we'll see what happens. it definitely sounds like something is about to change.
That last game is determining who is gonna make the team. So it really does matter. It also showcases the cut players for their next team if they know how to show their product correctly.

That last game is determining who is gonna make the team. So it really does matter. It also showcases the cut players for their next team if they know how to show their product correctly.

It's only important because it's the last game. If the 3rd game was the last game, then that would be used in this manner. As it stands, starters do not play much in the 1st or 4th game, and recently, not much in the 2nd game either.

So in a revised 3 game system, the 1st game would be where starters played a QTR or so. The 2nd game would be where starters played a half to 3 QTRS. And the 3rd game would be the cut down evaluation.

You are actually cutting out the 1st preseason game, not the 4th.

Last edited:
A 17 game schedule is going to happen. The players have pretty much agreed to it and the sticking point is about when to start it. The owners want 2021 and the players are trying for 2023.

So we've only got a year or three left for a team to pull off a perfect 19-0 season. After that, they'd have to go 20-0 for a perfect season. .

I'm gonna throw another thought out here too. How about adding more XFL games to the season and keeping them on the big networks. For all we know it could become the next big thing. Even the all mighty NFL use to be small at it's beginning. I don't even think it's all mighty anymore though, I've lost interest in it over the years and probably wouldn't even watch it if the Saints weren't a thing. Goodell ruined it. XFL has been a nice change of pace though!

Not a fan of "neutral" site games. Seems like a lot of uncontrollable variables to me and injuries waiting to happen from tired players or improper field conditions. Or a lot of ho hum games with neutral fans wearing who knows what jerseys. This sounds terrible and a desperate money grab when other aspects of football need to be fixed.

Then what do we get, a season where some teams get one extra home game? That is not fair at all. The NFL is a "for profit" enterprise, at least for the teams and players. They don't really care about anything else but money. The owners and players alike. Money is the Number 1, Number 2 and Number 3 concern for both entities.

My guess is that there's a 90% chance this goes to 17 games and the "extra" game will be a "Neutral" site game. I could see games such as Saints vs Texans...played in Dallas or maybe the Dolphins and Panthers playing in Atlanta. It does not have to be games played Internationally. You could do regional games between conferences, played at another NFL stadium in the region. I could even see the NFL adding a regional game at a "neutral" site as a rivalry game every season. How many Saints fans would be ok with a 17th game every year vs The Texans, played in Dallas? I think that would be kind of cool. Now about the Niners vs the Raiders played in Los Angeles? The Eagles vs the Patriots, played in New Jersey? Seahawks vs Broncos played in Santa Clara.

My guess is that the neutral-site games would largely be overseas. More games in London and Mexico City. Is there a stadium in Frankfurt or elsewhere in Germany suitable for NFL games? What about Paris, Madrid and Barcelona?

Coach Pete says the toll on these players with a 16 game season and for those that play in the playoffs is immense. He says that nearly all players must take Roids to compete at this level and near absolute to recover faster from many injuries. So we literally have superhuman athletes who are stronger, more muscular and faster than their real bodies would support. One of the trends Pete has seen over the last 3-4 years is pretty nice if not real nice bonuses to take ice baths right after a game in order to reduce inflammation and bleeding.

The current injury rate is insane and seems to be getting worse. How many QBs were lost last year? Felt like I didn't know half of the starting QBs by mid season. So add one more brutally physical game for the players? It sounds like more owner greed and disrespect for the players. I am at the point where I a seriously concerned for player safety. One thing for sure, this is very disrespectful for the vets and a clear trend the owners are going towards a younger plug and replace player model.

My guess is that the neutral-site games would largely be overseas. More games in London and Mexico City. Is there a stadium in Frankfurt or elsewhere in Germany suitable for NFL games? What about Paris, Madrid and Barcelona?
Paris - https://www.stadiumguide.com/stadedefrance/ - Capacity 80,000
Madrid - https://www.realmadrid.com/en/santiago-bernabeu-stadium Capacity 81,000
Barcelona - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Nou - Capacity 99,000
Frankfurt- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldstadion_(Frankfurt) -Capacity 48,500

Any High level soccer stadium could be converted into a football stadium with minimal effort, except that those European leagues are running an overlapping timeframe as football (August to May) and with the money involved over there, I can't see many clubs being eager to risk their home field being destroyed by the NFL in the middle of their seasons. Games are on average a week apart, some 3 day gaps, some scattered 10 day gaps. So there is room to work out a schedule that works for both, just whether the will and desire is there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom