Stupid Question about 17-Game Question (1 Viewer)

Does not sound like "pretty much agreed to it", but I get your jist. It's actually being considered where as in the past it was always a hard "no".
17 game season is 100% guaranteed to happen. No CBA will be agreed upon unless it’s in there. The players know this already

17 game season is 100% guaranteed to happen. No CBA will be agreed upon unless it’s in there. The players know this already

Let's see the owners stay stubborn after the NFL loses an entire season to work stoppage. They have way more money than the players and could easily outlast them but they're miserably weak when it comes to having the will power to suppress their greed. I think the players forked themselves during the 2011 lockout because I'd heard some of them literally were having financial trouble and needed to get back to work to make ends meet. That's embarrassing for them and shows how horrible many of them are at managing money. They'll have to cave in to the owners' terms again if they've continued to have the same lack of financial prudence.

If they have somehow gotten their sheet together and prepared themselves for a stoppage, then based on what little bit we've heard on their end thus far we can expect them to dig their heels in. If the players can make it to the halfway point of the season then their leverage becomes huge cuz there's no precedence in NFL history of a stoppage longer than the 57-day 1982 strike. These owners make Ebenezer Scrooge look like Mother Teresa in terms of how much they salivate over money and most of them probably would stress over even two weeks of missed game revenue.

Not a fan of "neutral" site games. Seems like a lot of uncontrollable variables to me and injuries waiting to happen from tired players or improper field conditions. Or a lot of ho hum games with neutral fans wearing who knows what jerseys. This sounds terrible and a desperate money grab when other aspects of football need to be fixed.
Agree. Just one game in Mexico City caused chaos.

I realized that once I read through the CBA proposal. I think it's just a matter of how much more they will get paid for that extra week. I'm not really excited about an extra week, though.

If season is expanded, just push the Super Bowl to happen on President's day weekend so we can have Monday to recover. Mmmmkay?

The biggest issue with the 17gms that most people are not considering is that it will effectively be shortening players careers/yrs of service over time because the body only has so many games it can take. Which means if you're turning players over faster you most likely become younger and less expensive. That's the real financial gain.

The 17 game schedule is probably a 99% done deal. PFT has estimated that player compensation, with the new TV deal AND the 17 game schedule will add over $800,000 per player in income. Works out to be over $100 million per team per year in revenue, with about half of that going to players.

It's all about the money. Always has been, always will be.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom