Stupid Question about 17-Game Question (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Money is driving the NFL's quest for a 17-game schedule, and I am assuming that the principal source of additional revenue is television money, not gate receipts. Why not simply add one or two more bye weeks? With two bye weeks, there would be 18 weeks of regular season television, and if three, 19. Is this not a practical solution?

I say remove a preseason game an add a bye week. Makes real season longer but more healthly and does not add an unbalanced 17th game. In order to have 17 games, you will have to have an un-even number of homes games each year. I do not like this.

I say remove a preseason game an add a bye week. Makes real season longer but more healthly and does not add an unbalanced 17th game. In order to have 17 games, you will have to have an un-even number of homes games each year. I do not like this.
Knowing the NFL the added 17th game would be a natural site game played in an international city

Yes but it would lengthen the TV weeks in an NFL season, thus adding to TV revenue recieved by the NFL

But whats the revenue compared to during games, pre game, and post game vs coverage of NFL through shows such as ESPN Get Up or Good Morning Football? Does the NFL even get money through those shows or mainly during game broadcasts cause of commercials. If most of the revenues comes through game broadcasts then adding bye weeks wouldn't help them because it doesn't increase the amount of games.

A 17 game schedule is going to happen. The players have pretty much agreed to it and the sticking point is about when to start it. The owners want 2021 and the players are trying for 2023.

But whats the revenue compared to during games, pre game, and post game vs coverage of NFL through shows such as ESPN Get Up or Good Morning Football? Does the NFL even get money through those shows or mainly during game broadcasts cause of commercials. If most of the revenues comes through game broadcasts then adding bye weeks wouldn't help them because it doesn't increase the amount of games.
Networks pay the NFL to broadcast the games based on how many games they show.
Networks can only show 4 games per week maximum, unless the NFL sells the Thursday night game. Adding a bye week will add 4 more games per season a network could show.
I believe the networks get the advertisement money.

Outlaw, I am assuming--perhaps erroneously--that the important factor with television revenue is the number of weeks in which there is football programming rather than the number of games being broadcast. And perhaps I am wrong, which is the reason what appears to be an obvious solution is not the answer. In short, if each team has two bye weeks with a 16-game schedule, there would be 18 weeks of regular-season television rather than 17 weeks, and I am assuming that the 18-week package would be more valuable.

A 17 game schedule is going to happen. The players have pretty much agreed to it and the sticking point is about when to start it. The owners want 2021 and the players are trying for 2023.
When did the NFLPA agreed to this?
All the players interviewed at the pro bowl had reservations about a 17 game season citing increased injuries as a concern.

How do we know they agreed to it?

Networks pay the NFL to broadcast the games based on how many games they show.
Networks can only show 4 games per week maximum, unless the NFL sells the Thursday night game. Adding a bye week will add 4 more games per season a network could show.
I believe the networks get the advertisement money.

The networks get all the advertising money generated from commercials shown during the broadcast. They are guaranteed a set amount of minutes during the game to show the commercials so that they can make money also.

There are only a limited amount of national games per week. This would allow for another week of national games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom