Stupid question... (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
My LCD TV has an HD receiver built in. I am just using an aerial right now and I am getting all of the local HD Channels. I shouldn't need an HD reciever from COX should I? I should be able to just plug the coax cable right in, correct?

I think you will need to sign up with Cox's HD service, which will cost a little more than just basic cable.

There's no option for HD service on their webpage. Just an HD tuner and an HD DVR.

cable hd uses QAM, not ATSC.. so if your hd tuner supports QAM, you're good. if only has atsc.. then you'd need cox's box.

Your TV has a QAM tuner for unencrypted chans but I don't think it has CableCARD. You'll need a cable box to receive the encrypted and SDV HD chans that Cox BR just rolled out.

I have the new 37" Vizio which does indeed have ATSC with 8VSB & QAM demodulation, but alas no cableCARD.

Bastages...

Last edited:
you shouldnt need a cablecard or anything if your tv has qam, the guide takes care of the functions the cablecard used to be used for.

at least on cableone, i just plug basic cable into my tv, and the qam tuner pulls the hd channels off the line.

you shouldnt need a cablecard or anything if your tv has qam, the guide takes care of the functions the cablecard used to be used for.

at least on cableone, i just plug basic cable into my tv, and the qam tuner pulls the hd channels off the line.

If he wants any encrypted (non locals/premiums depending on systems) or newer SDV HD chans he will need a cable box. Cox is moving to SDV chans which use dynamic transmission and require two way communication. I'm not aware of any TVs that have implemented a solution for SDV.

funny, i pick up non locals and premiums as well as digital music over the line with cableone, on 4 different hd tvs. like i said, cableone may be different.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom