Stupid solution for keeping blowouts interesting so y'all can all leave negative reactions (1 Viewer)

black_floyd

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
This is such a radical departure from the norm that the NFL will never implement it but the XFL would be a great candidate for using it since they seem to be having a higher percentage of their games being blowouts than the NFL does plus they don't have to deal with the bullshirt pressure of traditions and purist fans like the NFL does.

Make each game have three different "wins" at stake. The first half score, the second half score, and the final score. Whether you wanna weight all three of these things equally or weight the final score more heavily so that it still respects the integrity of the full-game experience is up to you. Here are some possible formats:

1. Each game is worth 3 points. First half winner gets 1 point. Second half winner gets 1 point. Final score winner gets 1 point. If the first half is tied, maybe give each team 0.5 points or roll that 1 point over so the final score winner gets it, and subsequently, all 3 points for the game. If the second half is tied, but not the final score, I think it'd be unnecessary to play overtime so there'd be no rollover for that. Maybe rolling over is just dumb in general since it'd be dumb to do it in the second half (since it would involve overtime just because both teams scored the same amount of points in the second half even though the final score wasn't tied) and it'd also be dumb to have both halves having different procedures for dealing with ties.

2. Each game is worth 1 point. Maybe make make the final score worth 0.4 points and each half worth 0.3 points that way a team getting their doors blown off at halftime could still save face by only netting 0.4 in the loss column since if they win the second half their 0.3 points subtracted from the 0.7 points their opponent gets has a net total of them getting 0.4 less points than their opponent as opposed to the 1.0 deficit in the traditional winner-take-all format of the NFL.

The last thing to iron out is whether we'd have the points system replace the wins/losses system or work alongside it like in the NHL.

I just don't see any reason to fix what's not broken.

If a team is good enough to blow out another team, they've earned the reward of resting players at the end of games if they choose. Or working on new formations, etc.

I don't see any reason to change.

I just don't see any reason to fix what's not broken.

If a team is good enough to blow out another team, they've earned the reward of resting players at the end of games if they choose. Or working on new formations, etc.

I don't see any reason to change.

Because most of us want an alternative to the NFL due to how pathetically it's been run in the Goodell era. The XFL is a possible candidate for that because it's doing a lot of things right so far. One problem for it, though, is the blowouts. Five of their 12 games during the first three weeks were 20+ point blowouts. It's been speculated that the NFL tries to avoid losing viewers by tilting some officiating to keep games close. The XFL obviously has better and more transparent officiating but it seems like we're left with choosing between rigged officiating or a wealth of boring blowouts. My proposal tries to address that. If you enjoy watching a blowout with a foregone conclusion, then good for you. But most of us don't.

I’d rather see point differential be the first tie-breaker. That would keep the foot on the pedal and games interesting to the end.

This is such a radical departure from the norm that the NFL will never implement it but the XFL would be a great candidate for using it since they seem to be having a higher percentage of their games being blowouts than the NFL does plus they don't have to deal with the bullshirt pressure of traditions and purist fans like the NFL does.

Make each game have three different "wins" at stake. The first half score, the second half score, and the final score. Whether you wanna weight all three of these things equally or weight the final score more heavily so that it still respects the integrity of the full-game experience is up to you. Here are some possible formats:

1. Each game is worth 3 points. First half winner gets 1 point. Second half winner gets 1 point. Final score winner gets 1 point. If the first half is tied, maybe give each team 0.5 points or roll that 1 point over so the final score winner gets it, and subsequently, all 3 points for the game. If the second half is tied, but not the final score, I think it'd be unnecessary to play overtime so there'd be no rollover for that. Maybe rolling over is just dumb in general since it'd be dumb to do it in the second half (since it would involve overtime just because both teams scored the same amount of points in the second half even though the final score wasn't tied) and it'd also be dumb to have both halves having different procedures for dealing with ties.

2. Each game is worth 1 point. Maybe make make the final score worth 0.4 points and each half worth 0.3 points that way a team getting their doors blown off at halftime could still save face by only netting 0.4 in the loss column since if they win the second half their 0.3 points subtracted from the 0.7 points their opponent gets has a net total of them getting 0.4 less points than their opponent as opposed to the 1.0 deficit in the traditional winner-take-all format of the NFL.

The last thing to iron out is whether we'd have the points system replace the wins/losses system or work alongside it like in the NHL.

I hate the idea, but it beats Joe Blow's 20th Mock Draft thread and you put thought into and at least laid something original and thought provoking out, it so I'm still giving you the Fleur de Lis

A win is win.

A loss is a loss.

A tie is a tie.

Been fine for 100 years. I’m cool with it staying that way.

I find blowouts to be plenty interesting. Let the gamblers in Vegas figure out ways to make them more “interesting” to casual fans.

The NFL already has a system to limit the number of blowouts. The refs just have to make sure to make technically correct calls on things they never call to stop one team from getting too far away from the other team or just so happen to blow a call to stop a game from getting out of hand. A holding call on a Tackle or a DB, or a PI call, at the right time does wonders to keep games close. Relatively similar team talent does the rest.

The NFL already has a system to limit the number of blowouts. The refs just have to make sure to make technically correct calls on things they never call to stop one team from getting too far away from the other team or just so happen to blow a call to stop a game from getting out of hand. A holding call on a Tackle or a DB, or a PI call, at the right time does wonders to keep games close. Relatively similar team talent does the rest.

Seriously? That is literally what 90% of us hate the current state of NFL officiating for. If you're joking, then it's pretty well played facetiousness and I misread it but otherwise you're literally wishing for the perpetuation of what many of us hate most about the NFL.

Because most of us want an alternative to the NFL due to how pathetically it's been run in the Goodell era. The XFL is a possible candidate for that because it's doing a lot of things right so far. One problem for it, though, is the blowouts. Five of their 12 games during the first three weeks were 20+ point blowouts. It's been speculated that the NFL tries to avoid losing viewers by tilting some officiating to keep games close. The XFL obviously has better and more transparent officiating but it seems like we're left with choosing between rigged officiating or a wealth of boring blowouts. My proposal tries to address that. If you enjoy watching a blowout with a foregone conclusion, then good for you. But most of us don't.

The XFL's blowouts are more of a result of unknown players and teams. We had no idea who would be good and bad in the XFL. Compare that to the NFL where before the season even starts we have a pretty good idea of the elite, the good, the average, the below average, and the horrible teams. While the predictions are nowhere near perfect, a team that finishes 32nd in the league and has a disastrous offseason having to face a playoff team that returned 95% of it's roster... pretty easy to guess how that game is going to end up.

I agree with most in this thread, but I'll play along....

If you're trying to "level the playing field" to keep things interesting between "unequal" teams, it sounds to me like you're talking about "handicaps". Similar to bowling or golf, I guess, although I don't really play either. But it's my understanding that handicaps are "fluid" and change throughout the season. As players get better, their handicap decreases. So in that spirit, how about handicapping XFL games?

If Team A is averaging a POINT DIFFERENTIAL (margin of victory) of 20 points, and Team B is averaging a POINT DIFFERENTIAL of 7 points, then start the game with Team B ahead 13-0 at kickoff. Could get interesting when Team A (averaging 20 point victory margins) plays Team C, who is averaging 14 point differential on losses, but starting the game ahead 34-0 at kickoff. Certainly not fair, based on traditional understanding of the game, but in theory would make a boring expected blowout into a tense nail-biter....will Team A be able to overcome that 34 point handicap before the clock runs out, or will Team C be able to hold them off long enough to still be ahead at the buzzer? Stay tuned...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom