Subtle thing Drew Brees did one time that puts him ahead of the class for me (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
I think this happened back in 2011.

Drew sees there are already 11 players in the huddle, waits til the offending player leaves the huddle, then he enters the huddle.

Not sure I've ever seen a QB be that perceptive.

Brett Favre, maybe? :hihi:

He does it all the time. If you pay attention, when we are changing personell Drew usually stands very far back so he is not considered in the huddle, and he does a head count. When its correct he will walk into the huddle. Very efficient and even thought it sounds simple, you'd be shocked at the sloppy huddle habits of other teams.

There is a leaked playbook of Payton's offense on the internet somewhere from his Giants days. Download it and take a look. The first few pages go into detail about how to huddle. Payton is almost obsessed with the huddle and body language. Give it a read one day and then watch the Saints huddle, then look at the opposing team...pretty interesting stuff. It's amazing the discipline Payton instills.

How he calls the play lower than everyone else in the huddle also has been mentioned. He gets much lower than any QB I've seen, he basically squats.

I will give you some credit for at least paying some attention on the huddle thing, but if you really want to see why Brees is who he is, get to a game early (2 hours before kickoff) and watch Brees and all of the Saints receivers in shorts and t-shirts working with their passing drills and then look at the other side of the field and you might see a player or two for the other team. And then, in the game, you will see those same routes being done and those same passing being completed just like in practice!

He does it all the time. If you pay attention, when we are changing personell Drew usually stands very far back so he is not considered in the huddle, and he does a head count. When its correct he will walk into the huddle. Very efficient and even thought it sounds simple, you'd be shocked at the sloppy huddle habits of other teams.

There is a leaked playbook of Payton's offense on the internet somewhere from his Giants days. Download it and take a look. The first few pages go into detail about how to huddle. Payton is almost obsessed with the huddle and body language. Give it a read one day and then watch the Saints huddle, then look at the opposing team...pretty interesting stuff. It's amazing the discipline Payton instills.

Playbooks in the NFL and even in college typically spell out rules such as "huddle procedure," "who can call a timeout," "who is allowed to talk to the official," etc. on the first few pages, so Payton isn't really innovative in that regard. With that said, I would have to say that Payton has done one of the best jobs I have ever seen with instilling these particular practices and team discipline.

One of the things I saw us slipping up with this past season without him was our team's sideline ettiquette as it relates to contact with officials. We had players and random assistant coaches going after officials and asking for calls. That never happened with Payton. He is the one and only guy allowed to speak to them when he is out there.

It is amazing watching these subtle things and then seeing how undisciplined other teams are on their sidelines and game behavior.

The other thing Brees does better than anyone is clocking the ball. Saints are the most organized offense I have ever seen when the clock is ticking down to 0.

Playbooks in the NFL and even in college typically spell out rules such as "huddle procedure," "who can call a timeout," "who is allowed to talk to the official," etc. on the first few pages, so Payton isn't really innovative in that regard. With that said, I would have to say that Payton has done one of the best jobs I have ever seen with instilling these particular practices and team discipline.

One of the things I saw us slipping up with this past season without him was our team's sideline ettiquette as it relates to contact with officials. We had players and random assistant coaches going after officials and asking for calls. That never happened with Payton. He is the one and only guy allowed to speak to them when he is out there.

It is amazing watching these subtle things and then seeing how undisciplined other teams are on their sidelines and game behavior.

Well Im not at all saying Payton is the only one who spells out how to huddle. But if you read the his directions, then watch a Saints huddle, it's to a tee. I dont see than with many other huddles like that.

Here is the 2000 Giants playbook.

http://www.footballxos.com/download/offense/pro-offense/2000-NY-Giants-Offense.pdf

Here is a screenshot

Attachments

• payton.JPG
    payton.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 58
The other thing Brees does better than anyone is clocking the ball. Saints are the most organized offense I have ever seen when the clock is ticking down to 0.

Which is why I was shocked in the Falcons game. That was the worst clock management I have ever seen by Brees. I was stunned. I dont expect that to every happen again.

Which is why I was shocked in the Falcons game. That was the worst clock management I have ever seen by Brees. I was stunned. I dont expect that to every happen again.

I was pretty shocked myself. Payton had to be fuming.

I was pretty shocked myself. Payton had to be fuming.

He probably broke one of his LCD TV's after that. I know I was close to doing it.

There was a story I read awhile back that said one night Brees was inside a dimly lit Superdome by himself simulating an entire offensive game.

The preparation he has for the game is unlike most any other NFL player. He has a extremely hard work ethic.

There was a story I read awhile back that said one night Brees was inside a dimly lit Superdome by himself simulating an entire offensive game.
Wow...that story has really morphed. It was actually on the practice field at the Saints facility on the Sunday of our bye week. Payton saw him out there and went to find out what he's doing. Brees said he was simulating the game we would have been playing if not for the bye. Payton then asked, "Well are we winning?"

He probably broke one of his LCD TV's after that. I know I was close to doing it.

The preparation he has for the game is unlike most any other NFL player. He has a extremely hard work ethic.

Same here my girl had to calm me down. Man i hate the Falcons.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom