Subway's Sweet Bread (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ireland’s Supreme Court has ruled that bread from the international fast food chain Subway can’t legally be called bread under Irish tax law. The problem? Subway’s bread simply has too much sugar and must be considered a “confectionary.”

The ruling, first reported by Ireland’s Independent and available online through the Republic of Ireland’s Supreme Court website, was delivered on Tuesday and is incredibly dense reading. The court noted that Subway’s bread has a sugar content of roughly 10% of the flour’s weight. The amount of sugar in the dough would need to be 2% of the flour’s weight to be considered “bread” under Irish tax law.

The case made its way to the Supreme Court because Subway’s Irish franchisee, a company called Bookfinders, was trying to argue that it shouldn’t have to pay Ireland’s national sales tax, known as a “value-added tax” (VAT) in Europe. Staple foods like bread and milk are exempt from the tax, but non-essential foods that have been prepared, along with anything considered “discretionary indulgences” as the court ruling phrased it, are taxed. That would mean things like ice cream and potato chips are taxed under the law as currently written, but it left open the question of whether a sandwich at Subway was an indulgence...................

If 2% is the standard, then just about all of our sandwich places would not have "bread" according to their definitions. We love our sugar here. :yes:

I remember reading a comment online years ago from a European who visited America for the first time

His comment regarding food was more or less, "Jesus! Do Americans put sugar in EVERYTHING!!!???"

Last edited:
I remember reading a comment online years ago from a European who visited America for the first time

His comment regarding food was more or less, "Jesus! Do Americans put sugar in EVERYTHNG!!!???"

Yes, yes we do. Got a problem with that? :hihi:

it is stupid to have so much sugar in everything.

it also seems stupid to have different tax for different foods though so there is that.

From the article

There was also dispute about whether hot and cold food should be treated differently, meaning that a cold sandwich would not be taxed and a heated meatball sub would be taxed. Hot beverages like coffee and tea are specifically exempt from the tax but there was a question of whether that applied to purchasing a dry tea bag versus someone at a restaurant handing you a hot cup of tea. The ruling devotes several pages to what Irish legislators intended to mean when they wrote the words “hot beverages” and “food and drink” over 40 years ago. It gets very complicated very quickly. Ultimately, the court found that cold sandwiches were technically exempt from the law.

It does seem overly complex doesn't it?

What if I order a hot sandwich to eat in the restaurant but before I take my first bite my phone rings and by the time the call ends the sandwich is now cold, now what?

From the article

What if I order a hot sandwich to eat in the restaurant but before I take my first bite my phone rings and by the time the call ends the sandwich is now cold, now what?

You found a loophole in the tax code.

From the article

You apply for a refund - should hear back in 6 months

If 2% is the standard, then just about all of our sandwich places would not have "bread" according to their definitions. We love our sugar here. :yes:

What would they think of King's Hawaiian bread cake?

Last edited:
Disappointed! I thought that Subway was introducing sweetbreads to their menu. Guess I missed that space.

On second thought, while I do like sweetbreads, I don't think I'd ever order one from Subway. On third thought, I haven't ordered anything from Subway in over 3 years and I don't plan to, ever again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom