suggestions/info - I want a computer/HDTV monitor combo (1 Viewer)

Ted

muddlin'
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I need to get a new monitor for the office. I'm looking for something in a 24-26" size. I'd also like to have the ability to use it as a TV when I'm not working.

Can they all do that? If so, how does TV look on a monitor? HD?

Isn't there a cable converter that can convert a HDMI out on a DirecTV receiver to the DVI input on the monitor? if so, how well does that work?

I'd be hooking it to a receiver, so it doesn't necessarily need to have a tuner. or speakers.

I saw Office Depot has a ViewSonic on sale - http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/633580/N2635w-Widescreen-LCD-Combo/ - but it's native resolution is only 1366X768, which would be retarted [tm] in use for a computer monitor, which it will be for 90% or the time.

any suggestions? info? links to ****?

Thanks,
Ted

a computer monitor is not a TV. however a HDTV can be a computer monitor. To make a monitor a tv you have to have some type of video capture hardware on your pc.

I recomend getting HDTV to use as a tv/monidtor, you can then use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect it to your pc video card. You will have to tweek your display settings to make things look right.

VERY IMPORTANT.

check the frames per second on the HDTV before you buy it. you will want at least 60 fps to use it as a computer monitor. some of the less expensive models only run at 30 fps and a pc will run a little choppy, esp, vista.

look at samsung models. as far as i know, all of their LCD TVs can double as monitor. my 32" has acceptible framerates and native resolution, and i currently use it in my bedroom as a TV/monitor/videogame center. its pretty awesome, especially since my surround sound runs through my pc as well.

also, samsung models have a PC VGA plug and a source setting listed as "pc". this setting has an autoconfiguration mode on it that will sync with the PC and set the refresh rate and resolution on its own. pretty cool. i tried hooking it up with a DVI cable, but it never quite looked as good as the autoconfigured VGA plug.

I have a 1366x768 42" on a PC for TV and gaming, but the resolution is too low to be my main monitor. Instead of using a TV as a monitor I'd look at some of the monitors that include TV options.

The Westinghouse L2410NM is probably the most popular choice for your intended use. It's a 1920x1200 MVA panel with VGA, HDMI-HDCP, component, composite, s-video, and audio inputs (not great speakers). There are a few other models with similar features.

KLM and optimus, I've got three Samsung monitors and I love them, but that's got the same problem as most other combos - the native resolution is 1366X769, which isn't going to work for the eight hours a day I'm staring at it. Also, it's pricey.

Sev, I've been coming back to that Westinghouse on newegg over and over but haven't pulled the trigger despite all of the excellent reviews on newegg. Now I see why I waited. Westinghouse just announced a 26" version:

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=180

it's got 1920X1200 resolution - same as the 24" - which will help with my ageing eyes. Sam's online says they have it in stock for $448. gonna see if they have it in the store yet.

Yeah, it's supposed to be available in March, maybe Sams got an early shipment. The 26" uses lower quality TN panels, but I haven't seen any reviews or comparisons yet.

oh, seriously? I've seen a little about TN vs MVA, but what's the bottom line? is it just the MVA has 8 bit color? I'm assuming my Samsung monitors are TN and I don't have trouble with the color. then again, I'm a guy who uses MS Paint instead of Photoshop :covri:

Last edited:
Better color and viewing angles typically. I'd try to do a side by side (if I lived somewhere with more than OD and Wal-Mart) before buying.

well, I just ordered the thing from Sams. If I don't like it, I can return it for a credit and $500 at Sams will be a drop in the bucket.

thanks for the help and I'll report back when (and if) it arrives

dammit, it arrived today and it's DOA - won't even power on. tried calling Westinghouse tech support and they don't even have documentation on it yet but they agreed it sounds dead. :mad:

and, well isn't that just peachy. Now on Sam's website:
flag-IPItemNotAvailable.gif

They say they'll issue me a full refund and I can reorder it when it's available. It's a beast, too:

westinghouse26.jpg

That's next to my 19". I might just go ahead and order the 24", but my office mate has a 24" and I want mine to be bigger than his

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom