Suggestions: What to do in Prague & Budapets (1 Viewer)

UptownSaintsFan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I've been before, but it's been about 4 years. I'm going in a few weeks over thanksgiving and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for restuarants or sights to see (other than the obvious ones).

Thanks guys.

I did both cities last year. Not sure where to start since you've been to both before.

When in Rome is my motto when traveling, so I never hit restuarants that serve food I've had or can get in the States. I can look up a few places I remember from Prague, but Budapest was more of a munchies type time for me, so a good restuarant may be better left to someone else that did it better than me.

Gimmie some pecs on your tastes and I may be able to help you.

thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming!

That restaurant looks great.

As far as food, i like anything. Any good suggestions yall have for sights or restaurants, please let me know.

Thanks guys.

i don't know what you did before, but after i had been to the old city several times i ventured out of that and found some cool stuff. also, the further away from Prague you get the cheaper everything is - and i mean real cheap. it was probably 6 years ago, but i ate huge meals with many bottles of wine for at most $3 or so.

Budapest is one of the greatest cities on earth, but I cannot really tell you what i did or where i went. i just walked around, ate , and drank.

i don't know what you did before, but after i had been to the old city several times i ventured out of that and found some cool stuff. also, the further away from Prague you get the cheaper everything is - and i mean real cheap. it was probably 6 years ago, but i ate huge meals with many bottles of wine for at most $3 or so.

Budapest is one of the greatest cities on earth, but I cannot really tell you what i did or where i went. i just walked around, ate , and drank.

Castle Melnik is supposed to be a great 1/4 to 1/2 day trip. I wanted to do it on my trip I had setup for last month, but the whole trip fell through. Talk about cheap, IIRC, the bus (about an hour ride), a complete tour of the castle with the head wine dude, a phat dinner with a full wine tasting (about 8 wines) came to $30 a piece.
http://www.lobkowicz-melnik.cz/english/zamek.php

I didn't get outside Prague unfortunately, but I can't imagine paying less than $1.10 for a pint. THAT'S gold.

I really enjoyed Budapest too. It was so wild to see great Hungarian architecture only to turn the corner and see a typical communist block building destroying the great views. I went just after the protests with the PM lying to everyone. Castle Buda is great and so is the Freedom Statue (something like that) on the Buda side. If you are not used to hills, you will get beat down like a dog just trying to get to the statue by foot.

[EDIT] It's really Liberty Statue. Here's a piece about it.
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...reedom+statue+in+budapest&svnum=10&um=1&hl=en[/EDIT]

Last edited:
yeah, i've never actually been outside of either city, so if you anyone has any other ideas for nearby things let me know.

by the way, pardon the typo on the subject thread.

i really appreciate all the insight guys.

When in Hungary take a day trip up river to the Donau bend towns.

Szentendre is a great place to visit. Has a lot of art museums and traditional hungarian architecture.

i like a lot of communist-era architecture

i like a lot of communist-era architecture

Isn't "communist-era architecture" an oxymoron? On another note, I would love someday to visit Prague and Budapest(thinking about a Danube River tour), and look forward to reading suggestions on things to do and places to visit.

:mad: This sentence angers the Real American [tm]

ha, yeah i know, however that i dig the stuff too. some of it gives off a really cold feeling though. the terror museum in budapest is probably the best museum i have ever been to. i highly recommend it. there's tons of commi & fascist stuff there.

the communist architecture is just so different. i wouldn't say it's beautiful, but it's interesting. it gives everything such a different feel.

As for prague, the great thing is that it wasn't bombed during WWII so it's architecture dates back centuries.

Two tidbits I just remembered.

A train is only 6 hrs and it's about $85.

There is an open air market along the Danube that has a lot of good (not great) food, beers and wine. I am kicking myself still for not getting a pound of saffron while there. I believe it was about $12 for a pound of the stuff. WOW!

If you want the details of the market, let me know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom