Summer Conversation with Charles Davis of FOX (1 Viewer)

I am pretty certain its bias, conscious or not, and for Davis to so nonchalantly say "yeah they're gonna come for you next year" is just an indicator that he knows officials up close as humans and based on that knowledge expects them to hold a grudge.

As described he didn't even attempt the narrative of "integrity"...just went right for "oh yeah they're gonna get you..."

No offense to the OP, but not only is it an unsubstantiated musing from Davis, but it’s secondhand to us, at that.

It’s not important to me if the conversation happened or if Davis did say it because there’s nowhere to go with it as it stands.

I’m not defending officiating, I think it’s atrocious, I just don’t think there’s something more devious going on then what we see.

No offense to the OP, but not only is it an unsubstantiated musing from Davis, but it’s secondhand to us, at that.

It’s not important to me if the conversation happened or if Davis did say it because there’s nowhere to go with it as it stands.

I’m not defending officiating, I think it’s atrocious, I just don’t think there’s something more devious going on then what we see.

Since I am the OP - he flat out told me that there will be quite a few head scratching calls go against the Saints. But more of all, while there will be some will be just flat crazy calls, many will not be extremely noticeable like phantom holding calls to kill a drive.

Since I am the OP - he flat out told me that there will be quite a few head scratching calls go against the Saints. But more of all, while there will be some will be just flat crazy calls, many will not be extremely noticeable like phantom holding calls to kill a drive.

Yeah, this isn’t to imply I think you’re lying but there’s not another way to go about including that I hope any of us would take these kinds of anecdotes in the context they are offered. We are mostly just anonymous people online.

But I can believe the conversation happened and still not place much emphasis on it because it’s still just Davis offering an opinion.

In his mind, the expected reaction from some refs might be to jeopardize their own standing by hurting specific teams in retaliation. If that’s happening, that is, I believe, a cultural failing among officials, and not evidence of some conspiracy orchestrated at a higher level to harm the Saints or help the Rams.

If there is more going on, there’s not been evidence to indicate that. We only have wild speculation meant to satisfy the minds of some fans.

The idea put forth that officials are working together to prevent the Saints from making the post season is, by any objective observation, a conspiracy theory.

Look, I think bias is very likely a part of the problem, I just don’t think any of this indicates some sinister orchestrated plans being carried out.

I didn't read the Davis comments in OP as any kind of "conspiracy," which requires some level of concrete understanding in furtherance of a plan.

It's just another "Code Red," as described so eloquently in A Few Good Men. The location of the mess hall isn't always in the field manual.

Either that, or it's actually a conspiracy, nothing to do with us, but to promote the Rams.

End of NFCCG, on the Brees INT, the NFL's highest rated ref sees a two-handed blow to the head of the QB, ignores it. Blows to the head of the QB are a major, major point of emphasis for officials. Post-game, he said he didn't see the no-call because his job is to watch the QB through the end of the throw for roughing. Wonder what he was looking at on the INT?

Yesterday, one of maybe the top four refs (same job) is staring right at the QB and immediately blows the play dead, which Mike Pereira says is essentially an inexcusable mistake.

Two of the league's best officials, in consecutive games between the Rams and probably their biggest rivals for NFC supremacy, and two bizarre calls/non-calls in favor of the Rams. These weren't bang-bang plays where maybe there was or wasn't holding, or was there or was there not enough contact for PI -- these were specifics they train for, and both times completely ignored the training.

Or maybe it was all a lot of mistakes...but the Poisson distribution and the principles of Fermat and Pascal would prolly say otherwise.

Like the one on Armstead to start the fourth quarter in the NFCCG?

The only holding call of the game in which there were 83 total pass attempts against two of the best pass rushes in the league?

I didn't read the Davis comments in OP as any kind of "conspiracy," which requires some level of concrete understanding in furtherance of a plan.

It's just another "Code Red," as described so eloquently in A Few Good Men. The location of the mess hall isn't always in the field manual.

Either that, or it's actually a conspiracy, nothing to do with us, but to promote the Rams.

End of NFCCG, on the Brees INT, the NFL's highest rated ref sees a two-handed blow to the head of the QB, ignores it. Blows to the head of the QB are a major, major point of emphasis for officials. Post-game, he said he didn't see the no-call because his job is to watch the QB through the end of the throw for roughing. Wonder what he was looking at on the INT?

Yesterday, one of maybe the top four refs (same job) is staring right at the QB and immediately blows the play dead, which Mike Pereira says is essentially an inexcusable mistake.

Two of the league's best officials, in consecutive games between the Rams and probably their biggest rivals for NFC supremacy, and two bizarre calls/non-calls in favor of the Rams. These weren't bang-bang plays where maybe there was or wasn't holding, or was there or was there not enough contact for PI -- these were specifics they train for, and both times completely ignored the training.

Or maybe it was all a lot of mistakes...but the Poisson distribution and the principles of Fermat and Pascal would prolly say otherwise.

Yeah. I’d actually first responded to the mention of “conspiracy theory” in a reply. The point, primarily, was to distinguish that it was offered as Davis’s opinion and shouldn’t be interpreted as something more.

Doesn’t make the OP wrong. Doesn’t make Davis wrong. Doesn’t point to something more dire than off the cuff remarks.

Unfortunately, it seems like it is gonna be very difficult for us to win another Super Bowl as long as Payton is our coach.

Sorry but this is very convenient. Why didn’t you mention this in the past few months?
Sorry, but I really didn't think it would be true so I just somewhat forgot about it until after watching the last two games and seeing so many calls that are just not what they should be.

This past summer at the Manning Passing Academy at Nicholls, I was able to briefly talk with Charles Davis of FOX. We talked a bit of football in general and also talked Saints. He told me the Saints would not make the playoffs this year, to which I asked for his reason. He said simple – the refs are not happy with the actions of everything Saints following the NFCCG and they will make many crazy calls that go against the Saints this season.

Well, like him or hate, he is currently 2 for 2 on that prediction about calls but hopefully wrong on the missing the playoffs thing.
Bump.

He was mostly right. We've somehow not only made the playoffs, but become the first team to do so, in spite of disgraceful and historically lopsided officiating working against us.

Let's see how the game goes tomorrow and if he has the guts to say something on TV about it.

Bump.

He was mostly right. We've somehow not only made the playoffs, but become the first team to do so, in spite of disgraceful and historically lopsided officiating working against us.

Let's see how the game goes tomorrow and if he has the guts to say something on TV about it.

He won’t. He can’t. But he was/is right about the officials. Glad he was wrong on the playoff part.

He won’t. He can’t. But he was/is right about the officials. Glad he was wrong on the playoff part.
Remember the Seahawks in SB48....the refs had no choice but to let us play and show our stuff. They had NO CHOICE. I saw the bias there on the initial few calls and there was stuff going on but that was tossed out the window when we just plain dominated all aspects of the game. I dont know the future, but expect us to meet in a few weeks again....for the NFCCG.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom