Summer Conversation with Charles Davis of FOX (1 Viewer)

JBSaint

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
This past summer at the Manning Passing Academy at Nicholls, I was able to briefly talk with Charles Davis of FOX. We talked a bit of football in general and also talked Saints. He told me the Saints would not make the playoffs this year, to which I asked for his reason. He said simple – the refs are not happy with the actions of everything Saints following the NFCCG and they will make many crazy calls that go against the Saints this season.

Well, like him or hate, he is currently 2 for 2 on that prediction about calls but hopefully wrong on the missing the playoffs thing.

This past summer at the Manning Passing Academy at Nicholls, I was able to briefly talk with Charles Davis of FOX. We talked a bit of football in general and also talked Saints. He told me the Saints would not make the playoffs this year, to which I asked for his reason. He said simple – the refs are not happy with the actions of everything Saints following the NFCCG and they will make many crazy calls that go against the Saints this season.

Well, like him or hate, he is currently 2 for 2 on that prediction about calls but hopefully wrong on the missing the playoffs thing.
I've noticed on PFT articles, in the replies about the new rules changes for pass interference, there are drive by posts like "thanks a lot, Saints." I don't put any credence to that mob, but my problem with that manure is it wasn't the fault of the Saints that the hoopla occurred. It was on the officiating.

So, when I read about the refs possibly having a grudge, same thing applies. The fault doesn't lie with the Saints, it is with the officials.

And, to be honest, it did cross my mind yesterday that those officials had the backs of their L.A. All-Star team of officials from the NFCCG. When TQ Smith's helmet got ripped off right in the middle of action with no call, then that was followed by an inconsequential holding on the next play to negate a 1st down scramble by Bridgewater - well, I couldn't contain it anymore. I haven't had a full sports-tourrets episode in quite some time, but I lost it.

I don't doubt this one bit, and from the results of the first two games, it's impossible to argue against what Davis said.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Yeah. That’s exactly what it is. Or do you think Davis sat down with NFL officials and they told him about this plan?

Now he might have some intuition into how the minds of some officials work, but he’s still only guessing about what he thinks will happen.

Officiating sucks. What are the reasons other teams are being victimized by crappy calls? Easy to forget the Chiefs were the recipients of some bad calls in the AFCCG, especially late. Who’d they piss off?

There are problems with officiating that need to be fixed to restore fan confidence. That might even include a broken culture. But, yeah, the impetus of this thread is yet another conspiracy theory. I get that some people who need defined answers might find comfort in believing there are targeted schemes to pick winners and punish others, but the more likely answer is that officiating has become antiquated and fraught with human error and frailty. That doesn’t mean there is some master hand making it all go according to some plan.

Yeah. That’s exactly what it is. Or do you think Davis sat down with NFL officials and they told him about this plan?

Now he might have some intuition into how the minds of some officials work, but he’s still only guessing about what he thinks will happen.

Officiating sucks. What are the reasons other teams are being victimized by crappy calls? Easy to forget the Chiefs were the recipients of some bad calls in the AFCCG, especially late. Who’d they piss off?

There are problems with officiating that needs to fixed to restore fan confidence. That might even include a broken culture. But, yeah, the impetus of this thread is yet another conspiracy theory. I get that some people who need defined answers might find comfort in believing there are targeted schemes to pick winners and punish others, but the more likely answer is that officiating has become antiquated and fraught with human error and frailty. That doesn’t mean there is some master hand making it all go according to some plan.
Being around the game do you think his intuition could be founded on personal knowledge and inside info on how refs operate, what their biases are?

The idea that refs are flawed humans and will be biased against teams or individuals they do not like isn't a conspiracy theory. Sounds like reality.

Just being bad alone doesn't explain all this.

Being around the game do you think his intuition could be founded on personal knowledge and inside info on how refs operate, what their biases are?

The idea that refs are flawed humans and will be biased against teams or individuals they do not like isn't a conspiracy theory. Sounds like reality.

Just being bad alone doesn't explain all this.

The idea put forth that officials are working together to prevent the Saints from making the post season is, by any objective observation, a conspiracy theory. It doesn’t matter that it came from Davis, there is no supporting evidence beyond what people want to see.

If an email emerges, or recorded call, something, then the needle moves.

All of this ignores that officiating is recurrently bad and has been for as long as I can remember. It just seems to be getting more problematic (increase and changes to rules? Speed of the game? Something else?)

Remember when Rice “scored” while fumbling before the goal line? How long has the league had it out for us? Why? What about every other team ever hurt by a bad call?

I get that officiating sucks isn’t satisfying enough for some people, but that doesn’t change that these claims are unsubstantiated and frankly difficult to explain in motive and implementation while ignoring the scope of the problem around the league and week to week.

Look, I think bias is very likely a part of the problem, I just don’t think any of this indicates some sinister orchestrated plans being carried out.

Them making crazy calls against us will just make things worse. Doesn’t make sense to me
I think what people don't understand is that the officials are not really held accountable by the NFL so they can continue to do this knowing that nothing will happen to them.

And the Saints won't get any sympathy from Goodell anyway other than lip service. Hell Goodell didn't even acknowledged the helmet-to-helmet incident with the PI non-call during superbowl last year. But he states that he must protect the integrity of the league and player safety.

The idea put forth that officials are working together to prevent the Saints from making the post season is, by any objective observation, a conspiracy theory. It doesn’t matter that it came from Davis, there is no supporting evidence beyond what people want to see.

If an email emerges, or recorded call, something, then the needle moves.

All of this ignores that officiating is recurrently bad and has been for as long as I can remember. It just seems to be getting more problematic (increase and changes to rules? Speed of the game? Something else?)

Remember when Rice “scored” while fumbling before the goal line? How long has the league had it out for us? Why? What about every other team ever hurt by a bad call?

I get that officiating sucks isn’t satisfying enough for some people, but that doesn’t change that these claims are unsubstantiated and frankly difficult to explain in motive and implementation while ignoring the scope of the problem around the league and week to week.

Look, I think bias is very likely a part of the problem, I just don’t think any of this indicates some sinister orchestrated plans being carried out.
I am pretty certain its bias, conscious or not, and for Davis to so nonchalantly say "yeah they're gonna come for you next year" is just an indicator that he knows officials up close as humans and based on that knowledge expects them to hold a grudge.

As described he didn't even attempt the narrative of "integrity"...just went right for "oh yeah they're gonna get you..."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom