Superbowl Sound FX on NFLN (1 Viewer)

Ross

Scottish Who Dat!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Did anyone just watch it?

Just before the free kick/punt after the safety. As Ted Ginn is back waiting to attempt to return it. Flacco is pacing the sideline and turns to Dennis Pitta and says in all seriousness "If he breaks this, run onto the field and tackle him! " Pitta's response is inaudible but Flacco replies with "No I'm going to... I'm going to!"

How awesome would that have been!

:smilielol:

haha... yea... figure you gonna give up the seven points either way. might as well go down in history for one of the dumbest plays lol

What would the rules be with that? I assumed just a 15 yard sideline or unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. If the play went to 00:00 on the clock then 1 un-timed down. Anyone know what would have happened within the rules?

What would the rules be with that? I assumed just a 15 yard sideline or unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. If the play went to 00:00 on the clock then 1 un-timed down. Anyone know what would have happened within the rules?

Very good question. And heres your answer. The corresponding players amd coach would be suspended for the following season if they were saints.

Everyone else the play gets replayed with a 15 yard penalty and the player gets ejected and suspended indefinitely.

The referee, at his own discretion, would have the right in this instance to award a touchdown to the offense if he deems the play would have resulted in a score.

This is in the rule book though I don't think it's ever been used.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/20_2012_Emergencies_UnfairActs.pdf

If any non-player, including photographers, reporters, employees, police or spectators, enters the field of play or
end zones, and in the judgment of an official said party or parties interfere with the play, the Referee, after consulting his
crew (13-1-7 and 15-1-6), shall enforce any such penalty or score as the interference warrants.

In this instance, a player standing on the sideline would be considered a "non-player."

Also, below are the commissioner's rights if any "unfair act" were to occur:

PENALTIES FOR UNFAIR ACTS
Article 3 The Commissioner’s powers under this Section 2 include the imposition of monetary fines and draft-choice
forfeitures, suspension of persons involved in unfair acts, and, if appropriate, the reversal of a game’s result or the
rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred. In the event of
rescheduling a game, the Commissioner will be guided by the procedures specified in Rule 17, Section 1, Articles 5
through 11, above. In all cases, the Commissioner will conduct a full investigation, including the opportunity for hearings,
use of game videotape, and any other procedure he deems appropriate.

The referee, at his own discretion, would have the right in this instance to award a touchdown to the offense if he deems the play would have resulted in a score.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/20_2012_Emergencies_UnfairActs.pdf

In this instance, a player standing on the sideline would be considered a "non-player."

Also, below are the commissioner's rights if any "unfair act" were to occur:

Wow, didn't even know that rule existed.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BoCf3WqVyx4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's been used in college.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eSteCSinjTs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In a case like that, the Referee has discretion to award whatever penalty he deems appropriate -- up to and including a TD -- under the rule regarding "Palpably Unfair Acts."
Rule 5-2-4 ILLEGAL SUBSTITUTIONS
If a substitute enters the field of play or the end zone while the ball is in play, it is an illegal substitution. If an illegal substitute interferes with the play, it may be a palpably unfair act (see 12-3-3).

Rule 11-2-1(e) Touchdown Plays.
A touchdown is scored when: ... (e) the Referee awards a touchdown to a team that has been denied one by a palpably unfair act.

Rule 12-3-3 PALPABLY UNFAIR ACT (PLAYER)
Article 3 A player or substitute shall not interfere with play by any act which is palpably unfair. Penalty: For a palpably unfair act: Offender may be disqualified. The Referee, after consulting his
crew, enforces any such distance penalty as they consider equitable and irrespective of any other specified code penalty. The Referee could award a score. See 15-1-6.

Rule 13-1-7&8 PALPABLY UNFAIR ACT (NON-PLAYER)
Article 7 A non-player shall not commit any act which is palpably unfair. Penalty: For a palpably unfair act, see 12-3-3. The Referee, after consulting the crew, shall make such ruling as they consider equitable (15-1-6 and Note) (unsportsmanlike conduct).
Note: Various actions involving a palpably unfair act may arise during a game. In such cases, the officials may award a distance penalty in accordance with 12-3-3, even when it does not involve disqualification of a player or substitute. See 17-1.

Article 8 Non-player personnel of a club (e.g., management personnel, coaches, trainers, equipment men) are prohibited from making unnecessary physical contact with or directing abusive, threatening, or insulting language or gestures at opponents, game officials, or representatives of the League. Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. (Unsportsmanlike conduct.) Enforcement is from:
a) succeeding spot if the ball is dead; b) previous spot if the ball was in play; or c) whatever spot the spot Referee, after consulting with the crew, deems equitable. (Palpably Unfair Act.)
Note: Violations which occur before or during the game may result in disqualification in addition to the yardage penalty. Any violation at the game site on the day of the game, including postgame, may result in discipline by the Commissioner.

This HAS happened before. I can't remember if it was college or pro where a player was running for a score and the offending player came off the bench and tackled him.

Deadspin article on it: Joe Flacco Was Ready To Leave The Sideline And Tackle Ted Ginn On The Super Bowl's Last Play

Had the world been graced with the stunning sight of Ted Ginn streaking down the sideline, only to be swarmed by helmet-less Ravens off the bench, the officials would have flagged it and given the 49ers the touchdown anyway. And then Ravens fans, convinced that Ginn would have been chased down legally and would not have scored, would burn down Flacco's house, New Orleans, and indeed all of Earth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom