Superdome gets approval for “massive” upgrades (1 Viewer)

You made me curious, so I went and looked it up: that building with the ball is Reunion Tower.
Was actually coming to answer that, wife and I went to Ft Worth for a music fest in 2016 and stayed a couple days and got Dallas city passes, and that was one of our stops. Pretty cool place.

I don't know what else I can do El Gato Negro. I agreed with you last Friday. It's an American thing. The Dome isn't well known in South Africa. I get it. I used other landmarks to illustrate a point but you seem to have taken offense to the suggestion that The Dome is an icon.

I did not take offense, apologies if it came across that way. It just seemed like you were trying to make the point again that somehow it's not just an American thing but due to the fact that it is not 200 years old. I was just attempting to cordially disagree in the interest of healthy debate and perhaps getting you to think about the world at large. I really like America, the sports, the culture and the people. I do find however that many Americans I meet are very much inward focused (much to their detriment), and this seemed to me to be exactly that kind of mindset that leads to comparing the dome to the Sydney Opera house.

As a matter of interest, which parts of my posts led you to believe that I was somehow offended? I'd like to know for future reference. It is not always easy to judge how your posts are perceived online.

I did not take offense, apologies if it came across that way. It just seemed like you were trying to make the point again that somehow it's not just an American thing but due to the fact that it is not 200 years old. I was just attempting to cordially disagree in the interest of healthy debate and perhaps getting you to think about the world at large. I really like America, the sports, the culture and the people. I do find however that many Americans I meet are very much inward focused (much to their detriment), and this seemed to me to be exactly that kind of mindset that leads to comparing the dome to the Sydney Opera house.

As a matter of interest, which parts of my posts led you to believe that I was somehow offended? I'd like to know for future reference. It is not always easy to judge how your posts are perceived online.

You never seemed at all offended to me, rather you seemed to just be trying to provide some friendly international perspective. The Superdome is clearly not on the level of "internationally renowned landmark"

I think we've been talking about two separate things. My point has been that The Dome is one of the most iconic structures in America and it's synonymous with the city of New Orleans. It's part of the city. It's much more than just a football stadium like whatever the Bills or Panthers play in.

You're saying that The Dome doesn't have global recognition and I agree. You got caught up on The Sydney Opera house deal. I used those landmarks to illustrate how when you see those places you instantly know the city. Those just happened to be the landmarks that came to mind as being totally synonymous with their cities. I didn't mean that The Dome was literally as recognizable as Big Ben worldwide lol

The Superdome means a lot to me and many others in this state. I guess I got a little touchy like you were taking shots at it. That's on me. But we're in total agreement here.

Last edited:
I’ve flown into and out of New Orleans many times but one time was special. Me and my ex had spent a few days in Nashville. Flying up there was her first flight ever. The trip coming home was a bad adventure. I’ve been through turbulence but never as fast as it was on this flight. We started getting bumped around not long after takeoff and it lasted the entire flight. We hit one rough patch that sent a stewardess into the seat next to me. But the one thing that I loved was the pilot dropped us down low as we got close to the city. We were put on delay because they had a lot of planes coming in. We made a turn back towards the airport but not before I saw the entire top of the dome. We were the last plane to land that day because of the weather. That’s been around 25 years ago and is still one of the coolest memories I have.

I think we've been talking about two separate things. My point has been that The Dome is one of the most iconic structures in America and it's synonymous with the city of New Orleans. It's part of the city. It's much more than just a football stadium like whatever the Bills or Panthers play in.

You're saying that The Dome doesn't have global recognition and I agree. You got caught up on The Sydney Opera house deal. I used those landmarks to illustrate how when you see those places you instantly know the city. Those just happened to be the landmarks that came to mind as being totally synonymous with their cities. I didn't mean that The Dome was literally as recognizable as Big Ben worldwide lol

The Superdome means a lot to me and many others in this state. I guess I got a little touchy like you were taking shots at it. That's on me. But we're in total agreement here.
Don't back down bro. Anyone who doesn't recognize that the Superdome is the epicentric home of the WHODAT NATION & it's band of merry making, head hunting, woman loving, evil hating, thrill giving, Super Bowl winning all beloved Saints doesn't deserve to be respected as real member of the human race. Woooooohooooo! As the nature boy would say.

They better replace those multi-colored terrace seats with black/gold ones like they have in the lower sections. If they don't remove those ugly seats, the Dome will still look old no matter what else they do.
They need seats with black backs & two gold stripes with big Saints logos in the middle. Get the Chinese to do it as part of the free trade agreement.

Nice to see a combination of team funds and state funds -- the days of taxpayers funding stadiums are finally winding down.

The argument for the state to contribute to the Dome is that it remains a draw for college football, concerts and other Dome events.

I think the split is fair.

It's pretty amazing that Louisiana really did it right the first time back in the early 70s (happy to have the "it should have been on the riverfront" argument in a different thread :hihi:). God bless Dave Dixon and John McKeithen.
Back then they were being roasted over the coals for going so far over budget, I think the original budget was 70 million & it ended up costing like 165 million. Thank you Jesus that they went over budget like that. Just think the dome cost 165 million & people made fun of the greed & corruption. Here we are 45 years later & the Superdome has outlasted probably 60 billion dollars worth of stadiums that have been built since then.

Before I spout off about something I don’t know about - any state budget wizards out there who can put this in the context of state finances?
I'm not a state budget wonk by any means, but my understanding is that the $210 million in bonds will be financed by revenue the LSED already gets from hotel/motel taxes, events, etc.

It sounds like supporters will have to convince the legislature to come up with $90 million. I think they can find that in a $30 billion budget, especially if they can spread that out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom