Superdome gets approval for “massive” upgrades (1 Viewer)

It's great that The Dome is getting these upgrades. With so many teams building new stadiums it's wonderful this iconic stadium with all of its history is being kept.

I hope that I get to visit it one day. I've seen the Saints play in London, but going to The Dome to see them play is a dream of mine. Never been to the US but when I eventually go New Orleans will be my first stop.

It's pretty amazing that Louisiana really did it right the first time back in the early 70s (happy to have the "it should have been on the riverfront" argument in a different thread :hihi:). God bless Dave Dixon and John McKeithen.
When I get around to inventing a time machine I'll go to Dave Dixon as a kid and tell him, "It needs to be on the riverfront." When he goes "Huh?" I'll just say.....you'll know exactly what I mean when it's time. :hihi::rasta:

It's one of the most iconic venues in all of sports. When you think of New Orleans, The Dome is one of the first things you think about. Even people who don't follow football know it.

It's a national icon. When you see The Sydney Opera House, you know it's Sydney. When you see the Golden State Bridge, you know it's San Fran. When you see Big Ben, you know it's London. When you see The Dome, you know it's NOLA.

In America we tear down our Roman Colosseums. Hopefully this one never comes down.

I don't think this is very accurate. The other landmarks mentioned are universally known. I only learnt about the superdome after I started watching NFL. Big ben, Golden Gate and Sydney Opera house are things I learnt about in primary school.

I don't think this is very accurate. The other landmarks mentioned are universally known. I only learnt about the superdome after I started watching NFL. Big ben, Golden Gate and Sydney Opera house are things I learnt about in primary school.

I'm just curious where you grew up. Judging by your usage of "learnt" and "primary school", I'm going to say you're not from The States.

The Dome doesn't have the global recognition of other landmarks but in America there's no question. Part of that is because so many Super Bowls have been hosted in NOLA. And everyone watches the Super Bowl. So even if an American had somehow grown up without seeing The Dome, they'd see it while watching the Super Bowl.

When I get around to inventing a time machine I'll go to Dave Dixon as a kid and tell him, "It needs to be on the riverfront." When he goes "Huh?" I'll just say.....you'll know exactly what I mean when it's time. :hihi::rasta:
Why do you think it needs to be on the riverfront? Everyone always talks about NO being a great host for the SB and one of the main reason is the proximity of the stadium to hotels and walking distance to so much.

Where on the riverfront would you put it? The convention center would not have been as long as it is now. That takes away from the city. It’s right by the confluence of two highways so it’s serviced regionally, and then you can walk from downtown right to the dome. Unlike other cities where their stadiums are isolated. If it’s on the riverfront you could walk to it but one side will be inaccessible. The location is pretty legit.

Where on the riverfront would you put it? The convention center would not have been as long as it is now. That takes away from the city. It’s right by the confluence of two highways so it’s serviced regionally, and then you can walk from downtown right to the dome. Unlike other cities where their stadiums are isolated. If it’s on the riverfront you could walk to it but one side will be inaccessible. The location is pretty legit.

I've always thought the location was perfect. Why would it need to be on the riverfront? For aesthetics?

During renovations,is the dome still going to be closed for all but NFL and Essence fest? My 5 year old going to be seriously bummed if theres no New Orleans monsterjam for 4 years.

I've always thought the location was perfect. Why would it need to be on the riverfront? For aesthetics?

The thought was that upriver was a more natural direction for civic growth -- you really can't go west or south, and we were already at Lake Ponchartrain -- because it was far less limited, and in a natural direction for an eventual N.O./B.R. metroplex that would link the state's two biggest cities and make more sense for future growth.

Of course, given the racial political dynamics of keeping all of a certain type of citizen held within Orleans Parish, that was never going to happen.

If I were a road fan for a team coming to play and it was my first time in Nola. I would be in awe when approaching downtown and seeing the Dome. Definitely iconic. Nola would be my choice of destination every time my team played here if I wasn't a Saints fan.

I'm just curious where you grew up. Judging by your usage of "learnt" and "primary school", I'm going to say you're not from The States.

The Dome doesn't have the global recognition of other landmarks but in America there's no question. Part of that is because so many Super Bowls have been hosted in NOLA. And everyone watches the Super Bowl. So even if an American had somehow grown up without seeing The Dome, they'd see it while watching the Super Bowl.

I am not from the states and have never been to the states. I understand that for americans the superdome may be just as iconic as some globally known landmarks. But I think I would have to ask many thousands of people around here where the superdome is before someone answers New Orleans, where as every second person knows where Big Ben or the Opera House is.

I grew up in South Africa for what it's worth.

The Superdome is an iconic structure that is certainly a suitable home for an NFL team, and I applaud the decision to update and improve the stadium rather than building a new stadium.

But it is not entirely clear how the $450 is being spent and what improvements are being made. Relocating the kitchen, building a standing-room area, replacing the walkways with escalators--that is going to run nearly a half billion dollars?

The Superdome is an iconic structure that is certainly a suitable home for an NFL team, and I applaud the decision to update and improve the stadium rather than building a new stadium.

But it is not entirely clear how the $450 is being spent and what improvements are being made. Relocating the kitchen, building a standing-room area, replacing the walkways with escalators--that is going to run nearly a half billion dollars?
I've read one of the goals is to introduce natural light to the dome...so retrofitting windows (where? idk) could incur a decent cost. More so if they're retractable windows (ohhhh at least I totally hope they are... imagine a brisk Nov/Dec wind whipping through the building.)

I am not from the states and have never been to the states. I understand that for americans the superdome may be just as iconic as some globally known landmarks. But I think I would have to ask many thousands of people around here where the superdome is before someone answers New Orleans, where as every second person knows where Big Ben or the Opera House is.

I grew up in South Africa for what it's worth.
Well sounds like you have a sociology/geography experiment on your hands
We should mix in sports and cultural landmarks, and see which ones people around you know:
Sydney opera house
The louvre
Madison square garden
Taj mahal
The Coliseum (accept either Rome or LA)
The Duomo
Superdome
Meiji Shrine
Flatiron bldg
Camp Nou
Tate Museum
Ipanema
Commanders Palace

Get back to us with the results

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom