Superdome Memories (1 Viewer)

Not to mention all the great Saint games in the last 20 or so years or the circus and monster trucks, Tulane games, LSU vs Tulane games, etc, etc, etc. One of my tops though was when I was allowed to be the bat boy for the Expos when they played the Yankees in an exhibition game at the dome. I met Gary Carter, Tim Raines, Terry Francona who is the manager of the Red Sox now, and several Yankee players. I was in high school and that was a very cool thing to do. I thank my father as this will be something I will always remember and if not for him it would have not been possible.

Don't forget the Jazz and Pelicans (sorry, flashback to my jr. high/high school years)

I remember several Pelican games when I was a kid...got to see some future St Louis Cardinal greats.

Saw Pistol Pete play basketball there twice with the Jazz...saw them get throttled by the Bulls, but Pistol still put on a show.

All time great moment was being in the dome before the kickoff of the first Playoff game against the Vikings...unbelievable...Probably doesn't compare to the opening of the dome, but it was a scene...to bad the feeling didn't last long after kickoff.

Most of my fav 'Dome memories are other than da Saints.

5 Fav 'Dome moments:

5. George Rogers gaining something like 216 yds. vs. da Cards (think I got the right team).

4. LSU 42 (48?) Tulane 6.
I arrived at the game last minute, wearing a green tankers' jacket. Tulane fans cheered me, LSU fans boo'ed. Then I took off the jacket and showed my LSU jersey with Tuck Fulane on it. ;) Great game. Many beers from LSU peeps. :beerchug:

3. Any Pistol Pete and da Jazz game. Was there for a couple of the mega-crowds AND free fries. :)

2. Back in '78-79, LSU played Tulane (or maybe UNO) in da 'Dome. Rum was in rare form dat night. hehehehe
Several of us drove down from LSU for the game and did the bars before. Every time the other teams was shooting free throws that night, I was in a zone. Right as the opposing player would start his motion, the 'Dome would be silent, then: L-S-U TiiiiiiiiGers... FIGHT! FIGHT!! FIGHT!!!
They shot like 8 of 24 FTs. After a while, every time I stood up for the FTs, the whole LSU congregation yelled in unison with me. In the 2nd half a couple of the other teams fans trooped down to our seats, asking, "Hey you wanna get hurt?"
Half the LSU football team stood up and said, "Hey, he's with us." ;)
End of confrontation. roflmao

The last time I started the cheer--the guy at the line just threw the ball at the goal--no aiming. ROFLMAO

I will admit to watching Walter Davis and UNC play Tulane for 6 OTs in basketball--but not a Tulane fan, so not a fav moment. ;)

And my NUMBER 1 ALL TIME 'DOME MEMORY:

And my NUMBER 1 ALL TIME 'DOME MEMORY:

Around 1980, the Day of Rock and Roll in da 'Dome.

Chris Cross (we missed most of him.)
Cheap Trick (Dream Police)
Foreigner
The Eagles with special guest, Joe Walsh.

After partying up in the stands for most of the concert, in the middle of the Eagles' set, :rock_band: I grabbed a SuperBeer and made a bee-line for the stage. I was like Ironhead full speed ahead. I went and the crowd parted. Folks even followed in my wake. I got down to the 2nd row or so, and stopped. The little guy behind me didn't and spilled my beer. He started apologizing and I tried to tell him accidents happen--he disappeared,but soon returned with several BIGGER beers... lol And some kind of cig I won't mention. :rasta:

I kept shouting DESPERADO!, and finally, one of the Eagles pointed down at me and said: "This is for dat dude right there." :Bandance: :Bandance: :Bandance:

They sang Desperado, I raised my beer in salute, and then turned around and hiked back to my seat. :beerchug:

ANd that is my #1 fav 'Dome memory. :)

:Bandance: :beerchug: :Bandance: :beerchug: :Bandance:

sorry, but teh :Bandance: is not appropriate for teh bands you mentioned

sorry, but teh :Bandance: is not appropriate for teh bands you mentioned

I paid my $20, but only went for da Eagles--and with Joe Walsh, close enough.. ;) :Bandance: :Bandance: :Bandance: :Bandance: Life's been good so far... :)

Richard Todd was our quarterback at the time. Someone hung a banner that stated "Todd is like 7up -- never had it, never will." Loved it.

I rember going to a Jazz game with my Swiss wife. She said "who is that little white guy?" I answered "that would be 6'6" Pistol Pete."

Richard Todd was our quarterback at the time. Someone hung a banner that stated "Todd is like 7up -- never had it, never will." Loved it.

I rember going to a Jazz game with my Swiss wife. She said "who is that little white guy?" I answered "that would be 6'6" Pistol Pete."

I was there the night he blew out his knee (against Golden State?). That would be my #2 worst moment in the dome.. that's for another thread.

It would have to be the first time I walked into the Dome on opening day. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Another memory was watching Jazz games from the terrace level. The basketball players were like ants. Then there was Superbowl XXV, where they shot fireworks inside at halftime and had to wait about a half hour for the smoke to clear, the first ever Saints playoff game (we lost), and just the noise that rattled your ears every time the Dome Patrol would sack the QB.

Others were: the exhibition MLB baseball game between the Yanks and Expos, the Arena football games before the Voodoo, and just standing on that floor at the home and garden shows and looking up.

Oh yeah, and the LSU-Tulane game back around 1986 (when I was a Tulane fan). That would have to be filed under "bad memories".

Last edited:
Since I haven't lived in NOLA in many years, I can only smile when reading all these great memories.

But my non-Saints Superdome highlight has to be any of the seven Endymion Extravaganzas that I participated in. Just rolling into the Dome on a float was cool enough but seeing 10,000 people in formal dress, listening to bands like the Nevilles, and watching fireworks until 5am was a moment that I will always cherish.

Many Saints games, some I'll never forget, some I wish I could forget ('79 Saints loss to the Raiders, up by 28 at the half, only to lose to Kenny Stabler 42-35, and when the Rams kept the Saints out of what would have been their first playoff bid during the Bum Phillips days.
One thing I can't forget is getting engaged in the Dome. I ride in Endymion, and held up a sign from my float, at the Extravaganza, asking my girfriend to marry me..and I didn't lose the ring during my ride, and she did say yes.
Another is being at the Rolling Stones concert in 1981, I had just turned 18, and could buy alcohol legally, in which that concert, to this day, holds the record for the largest indoor concert. It's crowd was over 81 thousand and change, and not even being close to being broken.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom