Superdome Memories (2 Viewers)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
For going on almost 33 years now the New Orleans Super dome has been an integral part of the this city's skyline and its ever-changing identity. Constructed for a reasonable sum and completed in 1975, the Saints and the city of New Orleans began an odyssey to which it would endure bagheads, Dome patrols, Cha-chings, and even Hurricane Katrina. None of which seemed to put the death nail in the place. It just hovers, stand their and remains a hell of a place to go see a football game in the NFL season. Yeah sure their are the Lambeau's and the Soldier Field's. and maybe the Super dome wasn't the first domed stadium but it was the best. the people who built it put care and foresight into it and it has lasted all these many years

for that we have memories and the next story being told in this place, as old as it is, is still profound. Its an American monument and a gathering for like minded people who enjoy to party down and enjoy life like the city its inhabits. New Orleans has a rogue charm that appeals to so many people even still when its pride got hurt and maybe its future put into question almost 3 short years ago. We have a great bond that is still the bond that holds us together. Its a strong one and my God bless it for being so.

I mean why would we want it any other way? The Saints are not historically a winning football team but we are one of the most recognizable teams in NFL history, maybe I admit because of our losses but also because of the place we play in. When we win, it is like a drug going in our heads for a week until the next game. winning really helps this town cope and go forward. A truly positive effect and for that it has to be brought out as such.

And the Super dome? Its role is like the gathering place for the next year the next game, maybe this will be the year we win it all. the SB, we win it in this place as our home turf. thats its function and it has done a hell of a job in that capacity. those are winning memories but most importantly those are Super dome Memories.

We love to keep adding to them too. Next year will be just another chapter

saints games, college baseball, pro baseball exhibition, saints games, monster truck shows, car shows, saints playoff game vs the eagles....just to name a few things i have seen in the dome

good times :9:

For going on almost 33 years now the New Orleans Super dome has been an integral part of the this city's skyline and its ever-changing identity. Constructed for a reasonable sum and completed in 1975, the Saints and the city of New Orleans began an odyssey to which it would endure bagheads, Dome patrols, Cha-chings, and even Hurricane Katrina. None of which seemed to put the death nail in the place. It just hovers, stand their and remains a hell of a place to go see a football game in the NFL season. Yeah sure their are the Lambeau's and the Soldier Field's. and maybe the Super dome wasn't the first domed stadium but it was the best. the people who built it put care and foresight into it and it has lasted all these many years

for that we have memories and the next story being told in this place, as old as it is, is still profound. Its an American monument and a gathering for like minded people who enjoy to party down and enjoy life like the city its inhabits. New Orleans has a rogue charm that appeals to so many people even still when its pride got hurt and maybe its future put into question almost 3 short years ago. We have a great bond that is still the bond that holds us together. Its a strong one and my God bless it for being so.

I mean why would we want it any other way? The Saints are not historically a winning football team but we are one of the most recognizable teams in NFL history, maybe I admit because of our losses but also because of the place we play in. When we win, it is like a drug going in our heads for a week until the next game. winning really helps this town cope and go forward. A truly positive effect and for that it has to be brought out as such.

And the Super dome? Its role is like the gathering place for the next year the next game, maybe this will be the year we win it all. the SB, we win it in this place as our home turf. thats its function and it has done a hell of a job in that capacity. those are winning memories but most importantly those are Super dome Memories.

We love to keep adding to them too. Next year will be just another chapter

If we win the Super Bowl, it's a home Thursday Night game to start the next season! WHO DAT!!!!!!

saints games, college baseball, pro baseball exhibition, saints games, monster truck shows, car shows, saints playoff game vs the eagles....just to name a few things i have seen in the dome

I'll add college football, high school football (even played in 2 games myself), pro basketball, college basketball, motocross, wrestling matches, concerts, home shows, super sales events, a carnival, boat shows, and I am sure there were a few more things I am forgetting. Truly a unique and versatile place.

The greatest memory I will ever have was last year in the DOME. It was just a preseason game against the Dolphins( Thanks dd ) but it was my son's first time there. He had his head down as we drove into LA and NOLA, we were playing Virtual Tennis against each other on our PSPs, as we were getting closer to the Superdome he started to notice Saints jerseys everywhere and he began to ask were there going to be Saints players there? I said maybe, they did not know we were going, the wife and I love suprise trips for our son and daughter.

As we got out of the van he said where are we? I told him to look up and to the left. There she stood, the glistening Dome in her full glory, the Superdome baby!!! He freaked out and said "this is the greatest day of my life"!

I'll never forgit that day or that moment. Thanks again dd.

My greatest memory in The Dome was being at the game where Kyle Turley ripped of the helmet of a New York Jet and threw it across the field for messing with his QB. Then we all started to chant his name and to top it off I saw the highlight on ESPN for the next 3-4 years.

Also, my first NFL game in 1992 against the Falcons.

I'll add college football, high school football (even played in 2 games myself), pro basketball, college basketball, motocross, wrestling matches, concerts, home shows, super sales events, a carnival, boat shows, and I am sure there were a few more things I am forgetting. Truly a unique and versatile place.

duh....i forgot about college football....i come from a tulane family:covri:, so it was not uncommon to go see a game....plus i worked there for a while....and of course the Superfair :rock:

I actually had 2: the first was the grand opening where you could get your first view of the dome. The second was getting to stand on top of the dome and walk around while they were re-surfacing. Just an awesome, scary feeling.
I also have many out-of-town friends who can still tell me how they felt the first time they walked up to the dome. It always the same thing.. "it's so HUGE !!"

My favorite memory of an event other than a football game at the Superdome, was when they had a small fire on some burlap that was up in the rafters, that was started by the pyro technics from the halftime show of a Saints-49er's game in the late 80's/early 90's. Some guy wnet up there on the little catwalk and tried to beat the burlap to put the fire out and then the burning burlap fell to the field.

The players realized what was going on and started watching and the officials stopped the game. When the burning material fell to the field I remember some guy running out there with a cup of something to throw on it, which had practically no effect. Finally someone dumped a cooler of gatoraide on the fire and put it out.

Then two firemen came walking out onto the field, one with a fire extinguisher and another with an axe. I always wondered what he would do with that axe to put the fire out???

Finally after a ten to fifteen minute delay and the surface being inspected by the officials at the game, they resumed playing the game.

If the Saints ever go to the Superbowl in the Superdome, I will sell my car, buy tickets with that money, and hitch a ride to the 'dome. That day would be amazing.

Don't forget New Orleans Night games!

My favorite memory of an event other than a football game at the Superdome, was when they had a small fire on some burlap that was up in the rafters, that was started by the pyro technics from the halftime show of a Saints-49er's game in the late 80's/early 90's. Some guy wnet up there on the little catwalk and tried to beat the burlap to put the fire out and then the burning burlap fell to the field.

The players realized what was going on and started watching and the officials stopped the game. When the burning material fell to the field I remember some guy running out there with a cup of something to throw on it, which had practically no effect. Finally someone dumped a cooler of gatoraide on the fire and put it out.

Then two firemen came walking out onto the field, one with a fire extinguisher and another with an axe. I always wondered what he would do with that axe to put the fire out???

Finally after a ten to fifteen minute delay and the surface being inspected by the officials at the game, they resumed playing the game.

Yeah, that came up in another thread a few days ago. I was at that game. I was 10 or 11 at the time. John Madden named the guy that went up in the gondola to try and put the fire out to the all-madden team that year.

Don't forget the Jazz and Pelicans (sorry, flashback to my jr. high/high school years)

duh....i forgot about college football....i come from a tulane family:covri:, so it was not uncommon to go see a game....plus i worked there for a while....and of course the Superfair :rock:

It's okay. It's easy to forget a Tulane game.:hihi:

I keed, I keed.

Saints games, Motorcross, Tulane games, MLB exhibition, Superfair, to name a few. I know I'm forgetting some.

I remember going on a field trip to the Dome in grade school. The tour guide brought us to the terrace level and rested against the bottom railing. He asked the class if anyone had any questions. One kid asked, "If someone fell from this high up, would you get hurt". The tour guide said, "Not only would you get hurt, but you would surely die". Then a very "un-smart" kid said, "have you ever fallen from here". Needless to say, that got a pretty good laugh.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom