Superdome Record yesterday (1 Viewer)

Waymer

Waymer
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It should note that it is a record Superdome crowd for a football game. It still falls short of the Stones

Waymer

Waymer
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
BTW, capacity was just over 72,000 pre-K. I see no reason it's not the same today.

OP
OP

Marseillais

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
I searched on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Superdome

Capacity

The Superdome has a listed maximum football seating capacity of 72,003 (expanded) or 69,703 (not expanded), a maximum basketball seating capacity of 55,675, and a maximum baseball capacity of 63,525; however, published attendance figures from events such as the Sugar Bowl football game have exceeded 79,000. A 1980s Rolling Stones concert attracted over 87,500 spectators.

OK so it's not the first time they've reached 79,000 people!

Hoyasaint

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, The Superdome set a new affluence record yesterday:

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-35/1199778003307780.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

"It was a record Superdome crowd of 79,651"

Where did they put all these extra people? Isn't the capacity for Saints game 68,000 or something?

There was one section that I noticed that was actually on the field in a boxed off section. It looked like regular schmos and was pretty big so I doubt that it was a VIP section. I can definitely tell you that I would want nothing to do with that section because from what I saw on TV you had part of the team standing in front of you and couldn't see anything.

snowdog

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
There was one section that I noticed that was actually on the field in a boxed off section. It looked like regular schmos and was pretty big so I doubt that it was a VIP section. I can definitely tell you that I would want nothing to do with that section because from what I saw on TV you had part of the team standing in front of you and couldn't see anything.
Did they push the Plaza section back and add these, or did they just stick them in front?

'79 Saints

Reaction score
Did they push the Plaza section back and add these, or did they just stick them in front?
The plaza section does slide back (look at the room when you cross the bridge to get to your seats) and there is a section that they create in front of the plaza to generate extra seats.

When the Dome first opened, those seats were there a lot. Take a look at the highlights from Super Bowl XII (Dallas/Denver), when they show the crowd, you'll notice some of them sitting in a section with metal flooring and in stackable chairs. That was how they increased capacity.

You should be able to see some of those seats on the you tube highlight from the Raiders/Saints MNF game, too.

Goats

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
The NFL requires the first row of seats to be a certain height and a certain distance from the field. I think the configuration for bowl games violates the height requirement, therfore it cannot be used for Saints games.

Does anyone think Benson wouldnt add more seats if he could ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)