Superdome Shutdown: Super Bowl XLVII Blackout Hurts New Orleans' Chances to Host Future Super Bowls (1 Viewer)

Skimmed through thread, apologies if.mentioned, but...

What a way to offer an Olive Branch for Goodell to come right out and rebuke all of the naysayers. He said that this will not affect our future SB chances, and, in fact, he want the SB in New Orleans. His word matters more than any of the punks being mentioned in here.

...Turning the page.

Dunno if it's been posted..this guy is an idiot.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>This is sickening. If somehow B'More's momentum in thwarted here, what do you say. I'd ban the SB from New Orleans for next 20 yrs for this!</p>&mdash; Stephen A Smith (@stephenasmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/298247259047485440">February 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Still more revelations. From Deadspin:

The rest of the article here.

The interesting part of that story is the revelation that the Orange Bowl nearly went dark a month ago. I know very little about electricity, but from what the article says, the cause of the near blackout in the Orange Bowl was not anything in the stadium, but a faulty transformer outside of the stadium. The upgraded system the power company had in place detected the fault as it was happening and apparently automatically rerouted power to avoid a blackout.

If that's what happened here, then the Superdome and its internal wiring had nothing to do with this event. In fact, it appears the Superdome's equipment worked as designed. It sensed an abnormality(perhaps a surge) from the outside(perhaps from a faulty transformer) and shut down the system to protect it.

The requirements of the League for extra lighting(presumably to enhance the production value on TV and for NFL films) probably meant the the dome was drawing an unusual amount of power. The quick post-halftime start up of the lights may have required even more power, which may have severly tested an Entergy transformer feeding the dome. The Deadspin article mentions the Florida power company spent hundreds of millions of dollars to upgrade its system. I suspect Entergy will need to do likewise so we can assure the League nothing like this will happen again.

After a night and a day to think if over a little bit: the only way the blackout would affect New Orleans getting the 2018 is that there will be extra attention paid to the electrical system prior to the selection to ensure that this problem won't happen again.

But, really, other than the obvious half-hour delay of actual football, the silver linings actually probably outweigh all else. It (possibly) created a better game than was being played prior; it gave more time for tv advertising; and it lengthened viewership an extra half-hour.

After a night and a day to think if over a little bit: the only way the blackout would affect New Orleans getting the 2018 is that there will be extra attention paid to the electrical system prior to the selection to ensure that this problem won't happen again.

But, really, other than the obvious half-hour delay of actual football, the silver linings actually probably outweigh all else. It (possibly) created a better game than was being played prior; it gave more time for tv advertising; and it lengthened viewership an extra half-hour.

No, we have to be realistic, and that article Champ posted, may be more of what we see in NOLA, than anything else. Finding out what happened, fixing it and allowing the NFL to verify , will be a must. That blackout was another halftime, in a game where the normal three hours was well past. The Ravens are an old team, with older vet stars...you could clearly see that the more youthful team, with extra time, took advantage of a situation that could give a youthful team the edge. They started play back up around the 4+ hour mark.

Ravens winning was a win for us as well.

Later in the article he does say this though:

e. I don't care about the blackout, and I care only mildly about the choking traffic. This is a great place for a Super Bowl.

g. My Super Bowl city rankings: 1. San Diego, 2. New Orleans, 3. Indianapolis, 4. Phoenix, 5. Dallas, 6. Tampa, 7. South Florida. I'd very much like L.A. and San Francisco to get back in the mix. (Why Miami so low? Too spread out. Everything's a hassle. Convenience rules.)

I doubt this will cost the 2018 Super Bowl. The Super Dome (and the city) has built a reputation for hosting the Super Bowl for over 40 years.
Add to that, the city will still host Final Fours and BCS National Championships.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom