Superdome Shutdown: Super Bowl XLVII Blackout Hurts New Orleans' Chances to Host Future Super Bowls (1 Viewer)

Peter King puts in his .02, too...as you'd expect its Anti NO/Saints...

As for the brownout, I don't know what to say, other than a 34-minute delay in the middle of the biggest event of the year on the sports (and television) calendar is going to be a factor when New Orleans comes up for a Super Bowl the next time. Not good when you have a problem keeping the lights on.

A few points come to mind:

1) How come no-one mentions how perfectly the backup system performed? The emergency lights all came on as designed and all the corridors were well lit also. This could have been an utter disaster if the whole building was launched into pitch black darkness.. instead it was a minor inconvenience.

2) The Forbes writer is a true idiot..

Let's see.. do we build a billion dollar stadium or just fix the power delivery of the old one for a couple hundred thousand.. gee, what to do?

3) Next year, we put in our presentation for the 2018 Super Bowl. The NFL asks about the outage issue.. we say it's been addressed and fixed.. we get another Super Bowl.
Jim,
#1 was a great point.
I would think if there is something to come out of this. The Superdome / Benson / NFL may want to look into the option of getting lighting that doesn't require such a lengthy restart time.
Judging by the comment that all of the back up plans worked great, I can only assume someone put a lot of thought into it already and knew that the restart time of the lighting would be a concern.

During the broadcast the announcers mentioned that the 'reason for the outage is being investigated and will be announced by the NFL'. Was a reason EVER given?

I call B.S. Lightning storms delay open stadiums all the time for longer periods than this. It was an accident. I've been to numerous games in the dome and there was never an issue. Hope the media remembers how small a deal this is compared to the issues next years SB will have in freeezing wheather and snow.

A part of me is hoping for a blizzard for next years super bowl to see what they will say about their precious New York and hosting it. The only draw back is we will have to play in that weather. ;)

Finally, a NOPSI truck has arrived at the Superdome. #lifeinthe1970s

Still more revelations. From Deadspin:

Reports the Times-Picayune:

The September minutes, for instance, have a reference to Entergy's work "to upgrade electrical services at the Superdome," work that "must be completed before the Super Bowl." At that meeting, the LSED board — comprised of political appointees that oversee the Dome — approved spending up to $700,000 to replace parallel electrical power feeds.

[...]

In November, the board received a report from construction manager Pat Tobler on "the planning and execution of the Superdome shutdown to accomplish the replacement of electrical feeder lines from Entergy to the Superdome."

Also at that meeting, Doug Thornton of SMG, updated the board on "the replacement of the electrical feeders that connect the Superdome to the Entergy power vault." The plan was to have "100 percent redundancy," Thornton explained, adding that that would necessitate "the shutdown of the Superdome for at least two days starting Dec. 16." The board approved spending $513,250 on the project.

The LSED's December minutes are not available, but the agenda for that meeting shows the board was to consider approval of a motion to spend up to $946,500 on an "upgraded feeder cable system" and other items.

The implication is obvious: the state agency that oversees the Superdome knew over the summer that the stadium's infrastructure—just seven years old—wasn't sufficient to host a Super Bowl. Whatever additional work was done wasn't enough to keep the lights from going out. (LSED's "preliminary review" finds that the upgrades weren't the cause of the blackout.)

The rest of the article here.

In this Internet age, the bloggers have to have an opinion regardless of how little they know. I have never been a fan of Peter King. But in the last 10 months, I have found several times his comments irritating.

Maybe, juuuuusst maybe, this will be the catalyst to have the City and LPSC start looking more closely at Entergy. They hold this city, and its end users/customers, hostage.

Interesting because there is another article out there quoting Doug Thornton that the halftime show wa srun off its own generator, implying that an issue with Entergy should not have mattered. But I have a friend telling me that the setup interfered with the Superdome power system during rehearsals.

I wonder how much digging will go on around this.

Am i the only one who felt weird watching teams not named "The Saints" running around in the superdome? Looking at the turf without a giant FDL looked wrong to me. :idunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom