Support for alternative onside kick option gaining steam (picking up a 4th & 15 from the 25 yd line) (5/28 Update: DENIED) (1 Viewer)

The XFL also had refs who didn’t use phantom calls and non-calls to engineer results. 4th and 15 game on the line... here comes the PI and roughing the passer calls against the Saints.

I didn't watch any full XFL games, but the feeling I got from people who watched it was the refs did a pretty good job, and the perception that they did better than NFL refs.
What are the opinions here from people who watched XFL?

Not to derail the topic, but...

With all the changes to the rules Goodell has instituted, you'd think the ratings we're in the toilet and they're just grasping at anything to make people watch.

The NFL is always looking for every little edge they can get to squeeze ever single cent out of the sport.

NFL games are routinely the the highest rated show of every season. But you know when tv ratings dip in the NFL? Blowouts.

So the NFL has long been searching for a way to keep every viewer of every game engaged until the very last second. This is an effort to reduce blowouts while also being able to say they reduced kickoffs in a pursuit of player safety.

If the NFL wants to go in the direction of getting rid of the onside kick I have an idea. Since the onside involves the combination of skill/luck of a FG Kicker replace it with another kicker task.

Inside the FG net set up a 5x5 yellow square that is 10 feets above FG bar. Have the kicker hit said target from 60 yards out. This play only involves a placeholder and kicker. If the kicker makes it than the redeeming team gets the ball at thier own 30. If kicker misses other team gets ball at mid-field.

It's a little easier than an onside kick, removes the injury possibility, would be more exciting than a 4th&15 play, makes the rewarded team have to go 70 yards for game winning TD and rewards teams that have good FG kickers.

Perhaps to spice things the awarded team in the second half cannot kick a FG to collect a score. All scores from awarded teams in the second half must be a TD.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom