Support Our Troops UPDATE! (1 Viewer)

City Champ

HOF 2010
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
About a month ago I asked you guys to send stuff for wounded soldiers and many of you responded. The following is a letter I received today along with some pictures:

Sir, My name is Billy Wallace. I am a Sergeant First Class in the United States Army, and currently serving in Afghanistan. I was afforded the privilege of being asked to write you and let you know just how much the care packages that were sent were greatly appreciated. A good friend of mine, SSG Holmes, received some of the boxes through a mutual acquaintance, and was asked to hand them out as deemed necessary. We took them to the Hospital here at Bagram Airfield to hand out to wounded soldiers that are not going back to the battle field, but rather going home due to the severity of their injuries. When these soldiers come here, they are evacuated from the engagements with the enemy and are flown here with mere blankets covering them. If they are badly wounded, they come here as they are an then their clothes are cut off in the emergency room and burned because of the mental trauma that a soldier could sustain seeing these clothes again. I can relate to this because I was wounded in 2007 and had all of my clothes cut off. I had nothing but blankets for a few days and could not even go to church.

It is my great pleasure to tell you that we did not have any wounded soldiers at the time that we took the boxes to the hospital. We pray that each day that we do not have any casualties, but being realists, and this being my fourth tour, there will be more in the future. The clothing that was sent was placed in a storage closet and will be dispersed when soldiers come in. The hospital staff would like me to extend their gratefulness to you. They were about out and did not know when they were going to get more.

There were two Saints jerseys in the boxes. Two of the medics that work in there are HUGE Saints fans. They were given to them and SSG Holmes and I got some pictures of them.

One thing that I would like to let you know is about an eight year old girl that I am so bless to have been able to meet. Someone blew up her house and she was severely wounded. We have some pictures of her and SSG Holmes as well. We gave her two of the videos that were included in one of the packages. I cannot express how happy she was to receive them. She said in perfect English, "Thank You". I lost a few days of sleep just thinking about the horror she must have gone through, or still is going through, for that matter. She is in high spirits and asked for nothing but a pair of shoes. Of all the things that she could have asked for, not once did she ask for us to fix her, make her pain go away, she simply asked for a pair of shoes. When she got the videos, she forgot all about those shoes! The hospital has several televisions and DVD players and they bring them to the patients so they can watch movies and have something to do. Ever since I met her, I have been visiting her daily. God has blessed me so that I have the time and money to spend as much time as I want with her. Yesterday I took her two bags of candy and kool-aid drink mix that I was able to find at the Post Exchange (PX). Today my medic and I had a lunch date with her and we ate Pizza Hut. Tonight we are going to have an ice cream party with Dairy Queen Blizzards. Had it not been for you sending the boxes, I would not have had the opportunity to make this little girl as happy as I could. Thank you again and if you have any questions or want anything, please feel free to contact me.

I will be sending out this letter signed by SSG Holmes and SFC Wallace along with a disc with the attached pictures, a certificate of appreciation, and a little something else to everyone that sent stuff out.

Because of my mission tempo, I will not be able to act as the conduit for anyone else wanting to send stuff. You can send stuff directly to SSG Holmes (He is an Eagle fan so be sure to write on the box, "GEAUX SAINTS") using the following address:

SSG Andrew Holmes
TF Yukon
4 BCT (A) 35th ID
Bagram Airfield
APO AE 09354

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 7
Wonderful stuff my friend. You are doing great things and the world could use more people like you and the folks who sent stuff in. I want to personally thank everyone who donated. When us folks in the military see stuff like this and know that the good people of the U.S.A are behind us it makes our job so much better. Once again thank you all and god bless.

For those interested.. Walmart had their flipflops/sandals and other summer shoes on sale for $3 or less. We went and picked up 20 or so pairs the other day to put in our box.

Also, they have TONS of travel sized shampoo, deodarant, soap, wipes, etc for $1.

If you can help at all.. swing by and get some stuff for our troops. Please please do so.

Yea im a SSgt in the USAF and im stationed in Korea right now (well im home because of my son) and i read that letter and seen those pics and it makes me proud to say that i serve a nation of ppl who treats its service men and women with care and love.... I have been to Iraq and have been close enuff to the action to have bombs and mortors fall out the sky in my direction and i can tell you when strangers from back home send things like this it gives you a since of pride to continue on when things seem hard....from my Air Force Brothers and sisters i send a big whodat to all who donated

I was about to suggest that this be posted here on the SSF as well for maximum exposure. :ezbill:

You are the man Onepeat...

I will start a collection next week from the girls, and fill a box of things for our troops...

Please work with me on where to send it. Being our Club is Oklahoma, it may be best to send to some OK troops, But regardless... You have my word... I will start and finish this... ANd with your help, it will happen...

Should I send a 30 lb box through the Post Office?, or should I go to the Air Force Base down the street to send it?

Joe

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It's so humbling to think how much we lucky citizens owe you service members. Let's pile on the goodies, gang: a care package is the least we can do to say thank you to the men in uniform who continue to do us all very proud despite being away from home and family for so, so long.

I have two brothers in the military. My oldest brother has been in Iraq since July, the other ended his tour in Afghanistan last year. A simple piece of mail, an item from home, means so much to our guys over there. We can all afford at least a stamp and a little time to write a thank you note.

if you guys want to send stuff, send clothes! They need clothes for the injured troops. Also DVDs, shoes, toiletries, etc are appreciated...

You are the man Onepeat...

I will start a collection next week from the girls, and fill a box of things for our troops...

Please work with me on where to send it. Being our Club is Oklahoma, it may be best to send to some OK troops, But regardless... You have my word... I will start and finish this... ANd with your help, it will happen...

Should I send a 30 lb box through the Post Office?, or should I go to the Air Force Base down the street to send it?

Joe

if you can send it via the Airforce, go that route, but if not, drop it off at the post office. You can send it to the address in this thread. SSG Holmes will make sure it gets to the guys. If you want Joe, you can send it directly to me, but because of mission, it may take me a while to get it out to the guys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom