Suppose both the Saints and Packers win out...(Merged) (1 Viewer)

mosaints

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering about how the tie-break for home field throughout would shake out. I believe that the decision would be down to strength of victories. Any help with this would be appreciated.:idunno:

Best Outcome for Saints is Actually a Falcons-Packers Tie.

Most Saints fans are understandably hoping for a Falcons loss this Sunday. Actually, for the long-term prospects of the Saints, a Falcons tie would be better.

If the Falcons and Packers tie, the Saints would be half-a-game back in the NFC South and still be able to overtake the Falcons by beating them later in Atlanta. A Falcons loss, while bringing their record closer to ours than a tie, unfortunately helps the Packers in unforeseen ways we may not like.

If the Saints and Packers both win out, the Packers, and not the Saints, would get homefield advantage by virtue of common opponents tiebreaker (5-0 to 4-1). The one loss that would separate our two records would be our loss to the Falcons. However, if the Packers tie the Falcons, none of these tiebreakers matter at all, and they would stand half a game back from us in the race for the #1 seed.

So while a Falcons loss looks ideal, a Falcons-Packers tie is actually best for HFA.

They would beat us in terms of common opponents (5-0 to 4-1). Ironically, the game that would actually clinch that tiebreaker over us would be their victory over the Falcons.

If the Falcons and Packers tie, the Saints will be literally half a game back in the NFC South and still be able to overtake the Falcons in the NFC South by beating them later in Atlanta. Overlooked however is that it would also help the Saints secure home-field advantage, more so than would a Falcons loss.

If the Saints and Packers both win out, the Packers, and not the Saints would get homefield advantage by virtue of common opponents tiebreaker (5-0 to 4-1). That one loss that would separate us is our loss to the Falcons. However, if they tie the Falcons, their record against the Falcons would be .500, same as ours would be after a split. We would end up besting the Packers by virtue of Strength of Victory.

So while a Falcons loss looks ideal, a Falcons-Packers tie is actually best for HFA.

Regardless, I am still pulling for a Cheesehead triumph.

Besides, the odds of a tie are pretty remote. You would have to play a full 15 minutes in overtime, with no scoring, for the game to end in a tie.

A tie doesn't help us because if we wind up with the same number of wins, they have the upper hand by way of having fewer losses. We need to get, and stay, one full win ahead of them.

Let the Packers beat the falcons and let us take care of business and we will be fine.

I'm just going to root for the Falcons to lose first, then I'll channel all my supernatural powers into manifesting a Packers loss. First things first: the Falcons must lose this Sunday. And Tampa. And Philadelphia. Or should it be the Bears? I'm gonna be exhausted by the time this weekend is over.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the common opponents tiebreaker

You aren't misunderstanding the tiebreaker. It's just that, with a tie between Green Bay and Atlanta, our chances of going to a tiebreaker against either of these teams is nil, unless we also tie a game. So, if Green Bay and Atlanta tie, the tiebreaker WOULD NOT come into effect. And if the tiebreaker doesn't come into effect, it doesn't matter who leads it.

Ties are so unlikely that I wont even bother cliching my hopes on them, I hope the Packs win this one but either way we'll need to show what we are made of when we meet the Falcons in 4 weeks. We can decide it ourselves so lets do so!

Toby-

Most Saints fans are understandably hoping for a Falcons loss this Sunday. Actually, for the long-term prospects of the Saints, a Falcons tie would be better.

If the Falcons and Packers tie, the Saints would be half-a-game back in the NFC South and still be able to overtake the Falcons by beating them later in Atlanta. A Falcons loss, while bringing their record closer to ours than a tie, unfortunately helps the Packers in unforeseen ways we may not like.

If the Saints and Packers both win out, the Packers, and not the Saints, would get homefield advantage by virtue of common opponents tiebreaker (5-0 to 4-1). The one loss that would separate our two records would be our loss to the Falcons. However, if the Packers tie the Falcons, none of these tiebreakers matter at all, and they would stand half a game back from us in the race for the #1 seed.

I just want the pack to win... LOL. A tie would be too close of a game.

After they play the Failcons, the Packers still have to face the 49ers, Lions, Patriots, Giants, and Bears. Only two of those games looks like an automatic victory for them at first glance so I doubt they'll be able to win the rest of the way.

The Lions shouldn't be overlooked either because they always keep games competitive and actually get up big in all of their games, but never know how to hold onto the leads. They almost beat the Packers when they loss 26-28 in week 4 so the week 13 matchup isn't a given for the Packers either.

Until Rodgers shows his worth in the playoffs, I'm not worried about the packers hosting the nfccg even if they are the #1 seed. Right now what I'm worried about is making the playoffs. And winning the south guarantees us a spot in the playoffs. So I hope the falcons lose and will worry about everything else later.

Section41 said:

QUOTE]

This is absurd Section41, are you sure you're not section 8?

ddd

It's conference record before common opponents. Saints would beat GB in conf record.

GB conf. loss - Chicago, Washington,

Saints conf. loss - Atlanta

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom