supreme court overturning ruling on busing kids out of district for racially = scho (1 Viewer)

Det. Brees

E tan e epi tas
Reaction score
i heard last night on a late night news radio show that the supreme court is looking at overturning a ruling about busing kids to others schools out of there district.
this was brought before them stating that racism is the ruling factor because the child's race was one of the determining factors on what school the child went to.
the case was brought by the parents of a white child who stated they have worked extra jobs to move to a area of town where there child could go to a nicer school and live in a nice neighborhood. the school the child should go to was less than a block from the child's home, but now the child is bused to the other side of the city.

can not find link if anyone knows of this please post.

Federal District Judge Nauman Scott presided over the Louisiana desegregation order which required busing.

When he died in 2001, the whole busing issue in Louisiana came under scrutiny.

It was reaching the point, given the costs, that school districts either needed more Federal subsidies to keep up the program, or they'd have to declare bankruptcy.

School districts across the state have been slowly dismantling Scott's busing system.

Now, let me see if I can find anything about the Supreme Court today.

Last edited:
Here it is, a Kentucky-based lawsuit.

LOUISVILLE COURIER-JOURNAL
Back to segregation? The high stakes when high court hears JCPS case
November 9, 2006

Louisville is no stranger to the spotlight, and not just because of horse racing and college sports.

Next month, in a case of historic national consequence, the U.S. Supreme Court is set to hear arguments about the constitutionality of Jefferson County Public Schools' voluntary school desegregation plan and another that Seattle schools have adopted.

The lead plaintiff challenging the local plan, Crystal Meredith, is a white parent who sued after her son wasn't admitted to the elementary school closest to his home.

Her position is that he was discriminated against because he's white, as a result of the district's guidelines for keeping minority enrollments in most schools between 15 percent and 50 percent.

Despite the end of mandatory busing, the school district and the public have continued to value racial diversity, which the guidelines, along with magnet and choice programs, have preserved despite housing patterns that largely remain segregated by race and class.

READ MORE

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061109/COLUMNISTS09/611090324

my nephew (sister's kid) was affected by this, in order to attend school with his firends my dad had to be his guardian

thanks dads...
i believe there were originally good intentions but it has turned out to be a bad thing...

It severely curbed, but did not totally end the dual "separate but unequal" school systems which were once the norm statewide in Louisiana.

Besides Judge Scott's death, two things finally ended busing: Busing costs and calls from the black communites to stop diluting their cultural identity.

In higher education, the forced desegregation movement ran its course with predominently white instututions, but ran into a stone wall when it came to applying the same law to all colleges and universities.

Grambling and Southern were quick to jump off the desegregation bandwagon and onto protectionism for "historically black institutions."

"Separate but unequal" public schools never got solved in New Orleans. But, I ain't going there.

I've never lived there and it would be wrong for me to comment, except to say everyone I've known - black and white - said the N.O. public school system was a total mess.

Hope things are being put back together better than they were before.

Interesting note...to avoid the possibility of the Feds stepping in, Grambling State and Louisiana Tech sorta cozied up to eachother.

They cut a deal so that each began offering courses which were only available on the other's campus. As the crow flies, they're only a couple of miles apart.

The deal was carefully crafted to directly impact the Fed's figures when totaling up racial percentages and let the two schools avoid any desegregation order fallout.

Pretty slick. A lot of folks said it would never happen. But, it did. When I went to Tech in the early 80s, it was an 8-mile drive on a very, very crooked road to get to Grambling. Now, it's two miles on a straight road and the Tech golf course is in the Grambling city limits. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom