Surf fishing setup (1 Viewer)

Leastbay

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a surf fishing rod/reel to use around Grand Isle/Elmers island. Anyone have any recommendations? Been out of fishing since Katrina.

Cheap and dependable...#1 get a 8 to 10 ft med/heavy action ugly stik(bigwater or tiger)..Retail at about 60 bucks..#2 Okuma avenger abf 65 retails @ about 60 also..Spool with 20-30 lb berkley big game..This is my setup of choice for big cats 30lb ++ and I'm sure it'll handle surf fishing no problem..With 4-5 ounces of weight I can throw this setup a country mile too..

It all depends on what you mainly plan to target and what you plan to throw. Surf fishing lures are much lighter than weights generally used with surf fishing.

Cheap and dependable...#1 get a 8 to 10 ft med/heavy action ugly stik(bigwater or tiger)..Retail at about 60 bucks..#2 Okuma avenger abf 65 retails @ about 60 also..Spool with 20-30 lb berkley big game..This is my setup of choice for big cats 30lb ++ and I'm sure it'll handle surf fishing no problem..With 4-5 ounces of weight I can throw this setup a country mile too..

I have an 8 foot ugly stick with a big Okuma spinning reel. I was thinking of going with a longer pole though. Maybe for some extra distance.

It all depends on what you mainly plan to target and what you plan to throw. Surf fishing lures are much lighter than weights generally used with surf fishing.

Probably reds and trout. What else will I be able to target in that area besides sharks? Any lite recommendations?

Probably reds and trout. What else will I be able to target in that area besides sharks? Any lite recommendations?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the area. BassPro has a Shimano surf rod (FXS model) available right now for $20. 9 feet long, rated for 1 to 3 oz. lures. It's got mixed reviews, but for that price it might be worth a try until you can better gauge what works best for you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom