Surprising Political Endorsements By U.S. Troops (1 Viewer)

wamland

Sacrilicious
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"Though the military is not supposed to engage in partisan political activity, these soldiers spoke out about their personal endorsements, and their opinions are likely to matter. In 2004, 73 percent of the U.S. military voted for a presidential candidate, and officials believe it may be even higher this time around. PFC Jeremy Slate said he supported Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., because of his stated intention to pull out of Iraq right away.
"That would be nice," Slate said, "I'd like to be home, yea."
SFC Patricia Keller also expressed support for Obama, citing his representation for change.
Spc. Patrick Nicholls from Eggawam, Mass., pointed out that many soldiers on the frontlines frequently think about their families back home.

Only moments before speaking with ABC News, the troops had been listening to Vice President Dick Cheney give a rousing speech, but it didn't change their political preference.
Spc. Imus Loto said he supported Obama. "It will be something different. But he's out there and he'll probably support us a lot more."

ABC News: Whom Are Our Troops Endorsing?

that is an odd article...I would have expected a poll. or at least a larger sample.

Here's another thread with a couple of related articles:

Obama was here today - SaintsReport Community Forums

Support for the war in Iraq is low and, specifically, it will be interesting to see how significant a segment of the military personnel/family members/friends voter block defects from the GOP in November with the hope that the war will come to a more rapid end.

Other ideological-leanings can start to look pretty insignificant when voters have something that registers strongly on a personal level.

Eh, my guess is the GOP will announce plans for a withdrawal the month before the election. Stemming most of the flow to the Dems.

Eh, my guess is the GOP will announce plans for a withdrawal the month before the election. Stemming most of the flow to the Dems.

I don't expect that, but a month before and I wouldn't think that would be viewed as credible by most war-opponents and fence-sitters anyway. Bush isn't going to do it.

And McCain has already charted his course with regards to Iraq. If there's to be a shift, even stronger consideration of a timeframe for a quicker resolution and withdrawal, I think he'd have to start selling that argument soon/now to have time to overcome the "waffling/pandering" outcry that would follow.

I can't wait for the reality check to get cashed.

While I think McCain is going to win at this point, I'm not discounting Obama if/when he gets the official Dem nomination. I also believe if Obama does win he will do many of the things he has promised to do. A quick withdrawal from Iraq is not one of them.

Hey Bulldawg, what IS the sentiment around you in regards to the election? The sample size of this is rather small...is it an accurate depiction?

Hey Bulldawg, what IS the sentiment around you in regards to the election? The sample size of this is rather small...is it an accurate depiction?
I haven't heard too much talk to be honest. Around here there seems to be a sense of disinterest...sorta a "we'll cross that bridge later" mentality. What little I have heard shouldn't be much of a surprise.

McCain is going to get a substantial military vote. That shouldn't be a surprise considering his pedigree and the fact his own son is in the war as an enlisted Marine.

Obama seems to be garnering the attention of many minorities, especially the younger troops. Again, this shouldn't come as a surprise.

The general consensus concerning Clinton is :covri: .

All in all though, most everyone realizes that it doesn't matter who gets elected. We're in Iraq for years to come.

that is an odd article...I would have expected a poll. or at least a larger sample.

The article is insulting to both sides. It seems to be trying to paint a picture of strong support for both democrat candidates among the troops, which are usually painted to be overwhelmingly GOP. The fact that some soldiers are going to vote for Obama/Clinton is a non-story. There are thousands of military men and women who will be voting for 3rd party/write-in candidates too. That doesn't make it news. I would hope those serving in harms way would vote for Micky Mouse if they choose to; they have certainly earned the right.

Osama will be rolled back out. STAY THE COURSE! VICTORY!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom