Survivor 42 (1 Viewer)

FullMonte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Man, I let this one sneak up on me.

So, last night was the premiere episode of Season 42 of Survivor. I don't want to spoil anything for those who recorded it but haven't watched it yet, but I will mention a few things that don't give away much (or that don't affect the game much).

Jeff opened the show by pointing out that, since they shot this season right after the one that aired last fall, none of the players on this season got to see ANYTHING that happened last season. Therefor, they were going to keep some of the same twists from last year (including the crazy phrases to activate your idol), and they would be making some minor changes to some of them. It will be interesting to see if these players react any differently (or how it will play out if the individuals who find idols don't tell everyone about them).

Although it wasn't mentioned (that I noticed) in the first episode, there is a player who lives in New Orleans on this season. His name is Hai, and he's part of the "skinny guy" alliance. (ETA: Sorry, I got him confused with Romeo. Romeo is the person in the Skinny Guy alliance)

My first impression is overly positive. I wasn't a huge fan of the first episode last season, and I wasn't a huge fan of the cast last season. This season, however, I am really loving the cast. There are some entertaining players, some people with some interesting stories, some VERY likeable people, and some people who appear to be challenge beasts.

I also give some props to Jeff, as he demonstrated how good he is at his job. He was put in a position of having to discuss a pretty serious subject that dealt with someone's personal issues, and Jeff was able to do a good job of informing us of what was going on without outing any personal information from the player (who, on his own, explained the situation in detail).

Also....hats off to Daniel for the way he handled the "minor" injury he sustained in the opening challenge.

Last edited:
I won't talk bad about S41. I liked it but understood that it was a completely different way to run the show. It felt like they put too many extras in at times. It also needed a shake up.

That said, I like this season more than last. Might be managed expectations. It also might be more enjoyable players so far.

Should be interesting to see how the game changes this season vs last. And then again into future seasons.

Just realized it started last night when going through my DVR. Headed out to see Batman right now and will watch it when I get home.

Unless I'm mistaken, last week saw Zach become the first person in Survivor history to actually be voted out of the game in a unanimous vote.

I watched last weeks episode this morning. I tell ya there is zero eye candy these last 2 seasons. I know they are trying to be all inclusive etc, but they literally have had to go out of their way to find this cast. Now that’s not really what the show is about, and I get that, but having an Amanda or Parvati type didn’t hurt things at all. It’s like they are going out of their way to find unathletic people who also happen to be unattractive. I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but gonna need a few more glasses of bourbon to get passed this group lol. The show seems solid though.

Well...that was an interesting episode last night. We saw two firsts in Survivor history.

One of them was teased in last week's preview, and it involved stopping a challenge to remove the first part because two tribes were having so much trouble they had both basically stopped trying.

The second was much more interesting, and it involved handling a situation at Tribal Council involving castaways who had no vote, and how they can participate in a rare situation. Also, more importantly, tribal council showed why it's important to have a poker face. Coming out and aggressively saying that you don't want to go to rocks is going to give the other side a lot of power, because all they have to do is say "I'm willing to go rocks if you don't change your mind."

Watching last nights episode now. I tell ya the production is so much better this season over last.

Also, more importantly, tribal council showed why it's important to have a poker face.
Gonna have to change his name to Daniel Stunk after that. He's a law clerk though and comfortable with negotiating to stay out of court. He didn't recognize that he wasn't playing other negotiators and it bit him. Honestly, for a guy who managed Yale he seems pretty low intelligence. It might be a ploy. He specifically said he'd play dumb to be less threatening.

The way he tossed Chenelle under the bus at tribal is baffling to me. Maybe trying to paint her as a target while he's playing the useful idiot role to make moves while seeming to be a non-threat. I don't think that's been a winning strategy in any past season but perhaps his speaking skills can make the difference and pull it off at tribal.

As for Chenelle, she got what she deserved. You can't be so adamant about not being able to lose a vote and then turn around and risk it like that. Terrible miscalculation on her part and it's cost her and possibly Omar.

Does Omar lose a vote at his next tribal or did it only apply to that night's tribal?

Does Omar lose a vote at his next tribal or did it only apply to that night's tribal?

I assume that he loses his vote the next time he goes to tribal, whenever that might be.

He was the question I had. Maryanne loses her vote until either all three idols have been found or until they reach the merge. Can she still use her extra vote, since that's not technically her vote?

I assume that he loses his vote the next time he goes to tribal, whenever that might be.

He was the question I had. Maryanne loses her vote until either all three idols have been found or until they reach the merge. Can she still use her extra vote, since that's not technically her vote?
That’s a good question.

Curious. When you watch the show who do you cheer for? The athlete? Beauty? Brain? I tend to always pull towards the athlete and get slightly frustrated at the week always banding together to win the game. To their credit the weak band together and stick together. The athletes are the first ones to stab each other in the back. Oh Maryanne…. Can she really be this annoying in real life?

Curious. When you watch the show who do you cheer for? The athlete? Beauty? Brain? I tend to always pull towards the athlete and get slightly frustrated at the week always banding together to win the game. To their credit the weak band together and stick together. The athletes are the first ones to stab each other in the back. Oh Maryanne…. Can she really be this annoying in real life?
I pull for the strategist, whomever that may be. I appreciate the athlete, but only if they have a good social game. You don't have to be physical to win, that's the whole point, it's not a sport competition only.

I pull for the strategist, whomever that may be. I appreciate the athlete, but only if they have a good social game. You don't have to be physical to win, that's the whole point, it's not a sport competition only.
True but will we ever see an Ozzy type player again? I would say Joe was one of my favorite players who had a good social game but since he was also athletic they killed him off because the couldn’t compete with him. I prefer my players be smart and athletic. Watching some of these people attempt a challenge such as the one last week where for the first time in survivor history they stopped the event, because neither team could do it was terrible.

I usually root for the most entertaining player, but each season, the type that entertains me seems to change. For example, I loved Cochrane, but I also loved Cirie. I also loved Penner on his second season. This season, I'm loving Maryanne. But, I think everyone loves Maryanne. I don't see her winning, but Survivor should just give her the money...in fact, they should just give her the money every season from here on out.

True but will we ever see an Ozzy type player again? I would say Joe was one of my favorite players who had a good social game but since he was also athletic they killed him off because the couldn’t compete with him. I prefer my players be smart and athletic. Watching some of these people attempt a challenge such as the one last week where for the first time in survivor history they stopped the event, because neither team could do it was terrible.

Ozzy was a great competitor, but after his first season, he seemed to think that was all it took to win, and never seemed to grasp the social game part. Joe, on the other hand, was a great competitor and he had a good social game. I have a feeling that Jonathan this season will suffer the same fate as Joe. He's going to be so dominating at challenges and so likeable by his tribe that he's going to be booted the first chance after the merge.

I usually root for the most entertaining player, but each season, the type that entertains me seems to change. For example, I loved Cochrane, but I also loved Cirie. I also loved Penner on his second season. This season, I'm loving Maryanne. But, I think everyone loves Maryanne. I don't see her winning, but Survivor should just give her the money...in fact, they should just give her the money every season from here on out.

Ozzy was a great competitor, but after his first season, he seemed to think that was all it took to win, and never seemed to grasp the social game part. Joe, on the other hand, was a great competitor and he had a good social game. I have a feeling that Jonathan this season will suffer the same fate as Joe. He's going to be so dominating at challenges and so likeable by his tribe that he's going to be booted the first chance after the merge.
Didn’t like Cochran at all initially, damn Benedict Arnold. He eventually drew on me. Cirie m, meh. She was never good at challenges just mastered the art of being everyone’s friend. I may be the only one that can’t stand Maryanne. The over the top behavior just makes me cringe and turn the volume down. Jonathan will be gone as soon as tribes change or merge. Nice and athletic? Not here buddy. I always liked the villains as well. The best survivor of all time was Russell. He competed well, lied, cheated, all kinds of shenanigans. This season there is no one I am cheering for though. Which isn’t uncommon for me in the beginning of the season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom