Survivor: Island of Idols (1 Viewer)

FullMonte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
It's that time of year again. This wednesday, the 39th season of Survivor premieres, and this one is titled "Survivor: Island of Idols."

Survivor has been known for hiding little trinkets known as "immunity idols," which a player can use strategically to save themselves from being voted out. But, the idols referred to in the title of this season are not those types of idols. The "idols" are two people, former players (and winners) Sandra Diaz-Twine, and "Boston" Rob Mariano. The two will be living on an island separate from the players, and the players will have opportunities to interact with the duo to get advice and mentoring in how to play the game.

But, of course, there is a twist. While Rob and Sandra apparently won't be competing in the game, they will be taking part in some way beyond simply giving advice. According to Jeff Probst's recent appearance on ET: Canada, "The essence of it was, 'what if your teacher was really good at something, but not fully trustworthy? But they're going to teach you everything, and then they're going to sleight of hand offer you this tempting little carrot to come over here and test what you've learned, against your teacher. And if you're foolish enough to say 'yes,' you get what you deserve. And if you're smart enough to say 'no,' they were empowered with the ability to sweeten the deal, to say 'what if I upped the advantage to this," until they get them to step into the ring, and then it's 'game on.' "

If I'm interpreting it correctly, somehow a player will get sent to the "Island of Idols," and get to spend time with Rob and Sandra (I have a suspicion the player will have to choose which 'idol' they want to interact with). After getting a lesson, they will be offered a chance to compete against the idol in that task, and if the player beats the idol, the player will earn some type of reward/advantage. The only real question I have now is, "What's in it for Rob/Sandra?" Yeah, I know they are getting paid to be on the show, but what's their motivation for beating the player? I have a feeling that the two will somehow have a chance to play a factor in the later stages of the game, depending on how they do against the players.

As for the cast, the first thing of note regarding the cast this season is the lack of "pretty people." In a typical cast of Survivor, there are several (if not a majority of) players who are very fit, very attractive people. This season, that isn't the case. The cast looks at lot more like a random sampling of Americans.

giphy.gif

I dunno if I'm in or not. I've been out a long time, but I do love me some Boston Rob and his maiden-name-vowel- deprived-fellow-Pennsylvanian wife Amber Brkich.

Yeah...I Iike Rob as well. He’s such a likeable villain....and Sandra is a special kind of crazy.

As for Amber “I’d like to buy a vowel”.....a little early rumor about her....season 40 also filmed this summer, and it's an all-winners edition that Ambuh, Rob, and Sandra participated in.

I got lucky and found it and always enjoy the show. Boston Rob is like a cat with 9 lives. But, I thought the role he played in Episode 1 was fine. I never really cared for the other girl (didn't she win 2x?). There is NO eye candy though that I saw. Eye candy keeps my interest. Boy, Probst is showing some age. That means so am I. Sucks getting old. Season 39? That used to mean a year/episode. Does it now mean 2x/year so 19 years now? That doesn't seem right but I think it might be.

Well...now that we are two episodes in, I have to say I'm kinda enjoying the Island of Idols thing. I'm also very happy to see two blatant blindsides at Tribal.

I'm really curious about what went down....

Was the plan actually to vote out Vince, or did Karishna get them to change it at tribal?

With that said...I wonder what would have happened if Vince stole something else from the other tribe's camp...like, say, their cooking pot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom