d3cyph3r

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Survivor Bowl XIV
survivorbowl.oliviasheart.org -
Registration will continue until the Kickoff of Game 1 Thursday September 5 at 7:20PM CST.

use the same log-in as last year. if you forgot the password, use the forgot password feature!

Thanks to our Survivor Bowl Staff: jread2 and d3cyph3r

*Pick a winner (no point spread involved) of any NFL game during week 1. your username/password. If problems arise on the main website, you can place your pick w/n this very thread.
*If the team you selected wins their week 1 game, you continue to week 2. If your team of choice lost their week 1 battle, you have been pigskinned from SURVIVOR BOWL already and should be ashamed of yourself!
*A team may only be selected once during the season to win their game(exp. if you pick the Saints in week 1, you may not select the Saints again for the remainder of the SURVIVOR BOWL )
*You continue in the SURVIVOR BOWL until a loss (or tie) is suffered, then you're out of the pool. YES, TIES ARE LOSSES!
*Winning picks must be in before last game starts for that week or you will be pigskinned.
*Picks selected in the thread will supersede what is entered in the system. The official record for your pick will be in the thread if they system has an error, or some other mishap. Just notify jread2 or d3cyph3r by a PM to update it.
*Any pick not submitted by any of the deadlines set within the rules posted each week will be considered a loss and the contestant will be eliminated from SURVIVOR BOWL
*The game will continue until one contestant remains.
*If all remaining contestants are eliminated in the same week, the contest will consist of a tiebreaker. The highest point total from all picks combined will win!
*If the regular season ends with no outright winner, the winner of the main pool will be chosen by the total number of points scored by each team you chose to win in their chosen game.

SURVIVOR BOWL CHAMPIONS:
I DavidM
II CliffBurton
III Harvey Honet
IV Sloth
V Jlroby69
VI Pure Energy
VII 62 DEFENSE
VIII IrishSaint
IX Wahoo
X KebCam
XI SaintReggie
XII - Garvatron
XIII - Seve
XIV - Smith
XV - 62 Defense (first 2 time winner)
XVI - tonytiger436
XVII - send-them-all (legacy winner of 62 Defense family)
XVIII - jayd265
XIV - ?

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The issue is that you picked a winning team after the game had been played. The entire premise of the contest is to predict one winning team each week, before the game starts. Yes, there was a problem with the site that was fixed, but there were also other games coming up.

Others will have to decide if you get to continue, but surely you can see the problem here, right?
The integrity of this annual game can only be ensured if everyone abides by the same rules of the game. We all know that one of the biggest 'Pigskinners' every year is simply those who forgot to make a pick for a particular week. None of these people are given a pass to come back and say who the were going to select if they hadn't forgotten to do so.

There have also been some in the past who were forced to select from the remaining Sunday & Monday night contests because they had forgotten to make a pick before the earlier games started on Sunday. These folks were not granted a selection from the earlier games even if it was really one of their originally intended picks.

It's pretty well understood here among the contestants that occasionally the site will not be reset in time to make the weekly picks. The moderators of these game have lives too. But since all posts on the forum are time stamped, there is never any problem with a contestant simply making his pick in the game thread where the 'game moderators' can assure that all the contestants are making fair picks each week prior to when their pick starts their game.

No one has any issue with WVSAINT and I truly believe that he really intended to make his pick long before the game was played. But we are all sad when someone falls out of the contest due to a forgetful oversight. As mentioned, others have forgotten to post their picks in time and have had to deal with elimination as a result.

Unless there is something timed stamped on the forum stating his selection prior to the start of the game in question, then this is simply a case of elimination. But if there is an early post describing his selection anywhere on the forum, he should be allowed to remain in the contest. This is what's fair to everyone. Those are the rules. It seems rather simple on how this issue should proceed.

WVSAINT

Marshall University
Reaction score
Yeah I see the problem and had the site been working it would not have happened. Had I knew the game was Thursday night I would not have picked Cleveland and had the person dc3yph3r who entered Cleveland into the system noticed that the game had been played this would not have happened either when he fixed the site. He apologized for the error of entering Cleveland for me but No one mentioned it at all to me before Sunday’s games either. Why didn’t they? Why should I be penalized. That pick was locked on my computer screen on survivor bowl I couldn’t change it. I had no access to change it.
So why not throw out that week 11 just like they did last year when the site messed up? We’ve seen saints0 being supportive of my situation but no word yet from cajunjoeyjoeysaint. So far the site has me in for this week as of now and it’s Friday.

WVSAINT

Marshall University
Reaction score
So far it’s been days and I don’t see saints0 or cajunjoeyjoeysaint saying anything to eliminate me.
I wish them the best of luck and I apologize for what happened and I’m grateful if they will let me continue. I wanna see who the real best picker of teams is this year!

WVSAINT

Marshall University
Reaction score
One last question why didn’t someone tell me Friday or Saturday or Sunday morning to pick a new team before Sunday’s games got started then ?
Because I surely would’ve picked the raiders or Vikings both were the heavy biggest favorites and both won.

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
One last question why didn’t someone tell me Friday or Saturday or Sunday morning to pick a new team before Sunday’s games got started then ?
Because I surely would’ve picked the raiders or Vikings both were the heavy biggest favorites and both won.
The answer to that question is that no one is assigned to monitor the picks that the contestants make during the week.
It really is left up to each player to monitor his own picks each week and decide if he may want to make an adjustment before the games begin each week. In other words, it would have been up to you to keep track of whether the team that you picked had already played their game for the week thus making them an invalid pick. Even though d3cyph3r may have allowed the late pick to stand after the late reset of the game, it was only because he was not monitoring when every game is played for that week and thus would not have been 'warning' the players if their pick was an invalid one. That is something that you would have needed to make sure of and pick another team from a later game on your own.

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
One last question. If you realized your pick was late but was locked in, why didn't you just come back to this thread and explain what happened and make your new pick instead of just accepting that you had an illegal pick entered?

By the way, this is the Saints Report Survivor Bowl and SR knows how popular this game is with the members. We pride ourselves on running what we think is the best team site on the internet. The fairness of this event is important to all the participants. D3cyph3r and others do us all a big favor by keeping that old program up and running. Big thanks to those guys.

WVSAINT

Marshall University
Reaction score
Simply put we are all humans and we all make errors. Mine was not intentional nor was d3cyph3r error. I didn’t realize it until it was too late. I also didn’t realize that this was a sr survivor bowl only thing. I just thought many saints fans were on it.
This situation is different however because I didn’t forget to submit my pick like others have in the past. Nor was it my fault the site had problems. I never knew the site had problems in the past. Whoever runs the survivor bowl does a good job and service too everyone with it every year.
Saints0 is one of the remaining teams and he just messaged me and told me he didn’t care if I continued on. I offered to bail out if he thought otherwise.
But it seems there’s 3 or so out of 386 they have a issue with me continuing but they don’t have a team left and d3cyph3r said it was up to who was left if I stay or go. So unless cajunjoeyjoeysaint says no then I’m picking the sorry Atlanta Falcons To win this week.
I honestly believe there are many people here eliminated in survivor bowl against me because I’m from West Virginia and all the greenbrier past posts that were ridiculous.

jbourque

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If I recall, I thought there was a post prior to the Thursday night game stating members could post pics in the Survivor Bowl thread. If that’s true, and a post was made after the Thursday outcome for a Thursday game then it would be on WVSaint. Regardless of intent, those are the rules everyone abides by. Unfortunate.

mc4saints

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
WV.... Don't die on this vine. It is a game that doesn't pay out anything and the people that run it don't get paid anything. Expecting anyone to remind you or PM you to put a pick in the thread or notice it was down when they have other lives is just unrealistic. It's different if it is for money but it isn't.

Hey, I picked Indy 2 weeks ago but my pc went down and I couldn't change my pick. Can I just pick one of the big favorites that won now? No.

Just bow out. You finished 3rd. That is really good!

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
WV.... Don't die on this vine. It is a game that doesn't pay out anything and the people that run it don't get paid anything. Expecting anyone to remind you or PM you to put a pick in the thread or notice it was down when they have other lives is just unrealistic. It's different if it is for money but it isn't.

Hey, I picked Indy 2 weeks ago but my pc went down and I couldn't change my pick. Can I just pick one of the big favorites that won now? No.

Just bow out. You finished 3rd. That is really good!
mc4saints, I'm just hoping that WVSAINT doesn't continue to think that anyone here has anything against him.

This game was created as a favor to the members here to help add to the enjoyment of each new football season. Sure, it's an understandable disappointment, but it's far better for this game to continue without any changes to the rules in order to avoid controversy both now and in the seasons to come.

And as you mentioned, 3rd place in this game is really good! Most of us wish we could have hung on this long. :covri:

Perhaps next year d3cyph3r could amend his rules list to include that contestants are solely responsible to ensure that their selections each week are made prior to the game in question. And also that this game thread should be used as the place for documenting a selection in the event the game has not been reset in time for the team you intend to select.

While these things are generally understood by the regular players, it may avoid any issues like this one in the future.

Last edited:

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
After much discussion with Andrus and other members of the staff, we agreed that WVSaint did not get a valid pick in for week 11 of the Survivor Bowl game and has therefore been eliminated. We did not come to this decision lightly but think it is the fairest decision considering the sequence of events. We are sorry that this happened, but it is the best solution to the problem that occurred.

OP
OP
d3cyph3r

d3cyph3r

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
After much discussion with Andrus and other members of the staff, we agreed that WVSaint did not get a valid pick in for week 11 of the Survivor Bowl game and has therefore been eliminated. We did not come to this decision lightly but think it is the fairest decision considering the sequence of events. We are sorry that this happened, but it is the best solution to the problem that occurred.
sorry wvsaint you will be eliminated. I even forgot to get my pick in, in time and I had to pick the giants for a Monday night game. It’s the furthest I’ve ever made it.
I’ve got excuses for my bad management of the site between kids work job kid activities and sports. I apologize and wish you and me luck next year.

WVSAINT

Marshall University
Reaction score
Real cute I never picked the colts. Atlanta who I picked lost anyways. Best of luck to cajunjoeyjoeysaint and Saints0.

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I fully agreed with Dan's assessment and concurred with the decision. Hate to see any controversy over a fun game but stuff happens, and unfortunately that was the fair conclusion.

Real cute I never picked the colts. Atlanta who I picked lost anyways. Best of luck to cajunjoeyjoeysaint and Saints0.
Don't know what the sentence means, but cgts on a great survivorbowl. :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom