SUV runs through crowd at Christmas parade in Waukesha WI... (2 Viewers)

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
weather is typically the least reliable part of newscasts, just sayin'
It's far from being free of political drool and propaganda. Just ask Ted Cruz about his day trip to Cancun or Trump's sharpie, Paper towels being thrown or anytime a singular weather event is used to promote Climate Change agendas on either side.

It doesn't matter what it is, if it something is trending it's like a giant stage for talking heads. They attach themselves to whatever it is that is trending and this trend is accelerating at a really fast pace. Sports, weather, health, music, movies, disasters, etc they are all fair game.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Here's my issue with it.

When you take "information sources" that have no editorial oversight or consequences for lying, combined with a society devoid of critical thinking skills, combined with ever-growing information silos and tribalism, you have issues.

Podcasts allow people to lock even tighter into their information silos and confirmation bias lanes. It fuels it even further because often they are "normal guys" and that validates their warped ideas have merit. I can literally pick out people who are wrapped up in the podcast ecosystem because they all say, nearly word for word, the same things. Some pretty it up with some pseudo-intellectual babble, but it's so clear and obvious.

So yes, it's self-curated, but that's the issue. It's yet another opportunity to hear only what someone wants to hear. While I think people should be allowed to self-curate information, I think the current political and cultural environment shows us human nature and self-curated information aren't compatible. In fact, it's a dangerous combination (but once again a combination that personal freedom requires be allowed).
So you’re seeing podcasts as zines and pamphlets and self publishing bookstores, and I’m viewing them as books in a library- and the weird thing about the media landscape is that we’re both right

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There isn't much news anymore. There is only rhetoric. I have to actually search to find facts. That's all I want is facts, then I can decide how I feel about it. That's what we all went through our growing pains of breaking away from our parents/guardians for, so that we can become adults and have our own beliefs. And if I don't have the facts yet, I don't comment. If I was a person of note, that would be a grave problem. If you're a "blue check", you are immediately required to denounce whatever the du jour denouncement is.
I think the ‘anymore’ is a bit tricky
It seems that the ‘impartial news reporting’ was a response to the Cold War and the realization that Russian media was so scripted, we put an emphasis on independent journalism (in theory, in practice it still had a very narrow range of ‘truth’ that it pursued)
Nixon impeachment was both the high point and the beginning of the end
Once news saw it’s real power it tried to use it - and then maybe overplayed it
So yes CNN made newstainment a thing, but at the same time the Gary Hart was when the political class really came to terms with reporters combing through trash, et al

The Edward R Murrow to Walter Cronkite era was not that long comparatively

SaintInBucLand

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Blaming the car for an attack like this is like blaming a gun for a mass shooting. It’s pretty clear that a deranged person caused the problem, or else SUV manufacturers are going to have a massive recall to correct the “plow into crowds of people” feature on their vehicles.

Understanding this guys past (as cracked and colored as any mosaic art I’ve ever seen), it’s pretty clear, this dudes elevator didn’t reach the top floor.

Technically if you wanted to get into that you could argue that large class vehicles like that do much more damage than smaller more fuel efficient vehicles. It's quite analogous to hand guns vs high capacity rifles. So on a technical argument, the parallel could be made.

Maybe people will start calling for the banning of SUVs. *shrug*

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Where did this blame it on the car line come from?
Feels like a bait n switch but I can’t figure out how/why

I find the whole discussion....ridiculous....this guy is obviously guilty of killing 6 people. Anything less than life in prison is unacceptable....everything else is just....unnecessary noise.....

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
Where did this blame it on the car line come from?
Feels like a bait n switch but I can’t figure out how/why

Maybe this

FFBD-ONUYAM8486

:shrug: I'm just guessing though

Brandon13

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Maybe this

FFBD-ONUYAM8486

:shrug: I'm just guessing though
I don't find anything particularly odd with the phrasing there.. do we believe people assume the 'SUV' was unoccupied or something because of the wording of that headline?

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
I don't find anything particularly odd with the phrasing there.. do we believe people assume the 'SUV' was unoccupied or something because of the wording of that headline?

from the article...

FFDzpvcXwA0iJWt

it's almost like they imply it did drive itself

Brandon13

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
from the article...

FFDzpvcXwA0iJWt

it's almost like they imply it did drive itself
I guess I just think it's inherently figured by most everyone reading that that the SUV didn't act on it's own accord.. but with self driving cars being a thing maybe I'm wrong.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom