SUV runs through crowd at Christmas parade in Waukesha WI... (2 Viewers)

Xeno

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I love you guys, but this is a really weird position. "The media wants you to think the car acting on its own" is just... odd.

Nobody's saying that.

"What we know about [the tragedy] caused by a SUV."

"What we know about [the tragedy] caused by an assault rifle."

In both cases the headline is written in a way that shifts some blame from the individual to the object. Both cases can be solved by saying, "caused by [person] with/in [object]." Journalism is a space where precise language is absolutely necessary.

It's not about if someone was fooled into believing the SUV drove itself into those people. It's about the language professional writers and editors chose to use for a news article that they published. They know damn well the original headline was written ambiguously.

V Chip

Truth Addict (aww ^&%$ I got a head rush)
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Close enough to ATL to smell the stink of Falcons
I don't find anything particularly odd with the phrasing there.. do we believe people assume the 'SUV' was unoccupied or something because of the wording of that headline?
It's extremely clunky of a headline. I don't think it was a decision to obfuscate anything about the story like some are making it out to be, but that reads really clunky, and the WaPo should do better just from a readability and not sounding stilted and off standpoint.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nobody's saying that.

"What we know about [the tragedy] caused by a SUV."

"What we know about [the tragedy] caused by an assault rifle."

In both cases the headline is written in a way that shifts some blame from the individual to the object. Both cases can be solved by saying, "caused by [person] with/in [object]." Journalism is a space where precise language is absolutely necessary.

It's not about if someone was fooled into believing the SUV drove itself into those people. It's about the language professional writers and editors chose to use for a news article that they published. They know damn well the original headline was written ambiguously.

That's the same language always used in an incident involving an automobile. Always. Forever.

That isn't saying the cars crashed themselves.

I'm going to assume someone was driving that car when IT crashed into the tree.

I assume, once again, someone was behind the wheel.

This is the language that has ALWAYS been used when describing a vehicle incident in both media and casual conversation. It's perfectly normal.

Xeno

Practice Squad
Reaction score
That's the same language always used in an incident involving an automobile. Always. Forever.

That isn't saying the cars crashed themselves.

I'm going to assume someone was driving that car when IT crashed into the tree.

I assume, once again, someone was behind the wheel.

This is the language that has ALWAYS been used when describing a vehicle incident in both media and casual conversation. It's perfectly normal.

There's a wide gulf between reporting on a car crash and reporting on someone intentionally driving their car into a crowd.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

V Chip

Truth Addict (aww ^&%$ I got a head rush)
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Close enough to ATL to smell the stink of Falcons
There's a wide gulf between reporting on a car crash and reporting on someone intentionally driving their car into a crowd.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

jboss

All-Pro
Reaction score
This thread somehow got worse than I thought it would. In a much different way than I thought it would.

KCWhoDat

Formerly known as Saints4ever
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Kansas City, MO and anywhere my company sends me.
I haven’t watched CNN’s reporting on this, but based on what you posted, it sure sounds like they’re making a measured choice to report factual information as it becomes available in a calm and clear manner, and you really just want them to rant and rave about information that may or may not be relevant.

Also, to say that CNN causes stuff like this by not giving killers notoriety is not only crazy, it’s also pretty disgusting.
Everyone already knew who the killer was….so your defense of CNN is absolutely wrong.

KCWhoDat

Formerly known as Saints4ever
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Kansas City, MO and anywhere my company sends me.
Who do you think is doing this?
My point is if there wasn’t such crazy, insane bias reporting there wouldn’t be a SIDE vs SIDE….the media gets certain people whipped up into a frenzy. They won’t just report the truth of who did it it and how it happened. There always has to be a twist to everything, like our side is innocent. But yes I believe the media has a lot of blame on their shoulders especially for weak minded people. If it makes people feel better I’m not EXCLUDING Fox or OAN or whatever. But the way some people act you better not talk about their favorite news channel that they digest on a daily basis. Media is pretty sickening nowadays..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom