Swapping a SSD internal hard drive windows 10. (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading my C drive SSD to a larger one.

Before I look too far into this... is this relatively easy? Mostly concerned about transferring windows 10, my user profile, etc, to the new drive. I have external SSD's too, assuming I need to do that.

Mechanically I'm not worried. I've opened my laptop before, added memory, cleaned it out.

Just want big picture advice and maybe a good spot for info, before I try to look on my own. Does Microsoft have a built in tool, or do I need third party?

Thanks.

Direct disk cloning should work and it looks like that's available for the free version. If you have a SATA to USB adapter, that simply it even more.

A lot of hard drive manufacturers have software for download to help you do this.

I usually use Samsung drives and their software hasn't failed me, so far.

Whenever I've replaced a hard drive, I've seen it as a chance to get rid of plenty of the junk that's on my current drive. I do a brand new clean install of windows, and then just copy whatever documents/files I had on my old drive.

I've always assumed that over the years, I've installed and uninstalled plenty of junk that has added so much to my registry, and so many hidden files that I just want to start over.

A lot of hard drive manufacturers have software for download to help you do this.

This. I've done this two or three times without fail.

I was looking at crucial. They have their own software to clone as well. I’ll look into Samsung too.

my concern is the basic steps to go from my SSD to a new one. Do i clone to an external drive, swap SSDs, boot from the external, then clone to the new SSD? Or should I get a USB to M2 hub and clone direct from oldSSD to new SSD?

I don’t have a win 10 disk, so not sure how I’d do a clean install. It has been like since winxp since I’ve installed windows

I was looking at crucial. They have their own software to clone as well. I’ll look into Samsung too.

my concern is the basic steps to go from my SSD to a new one. Do i clone to an external drive, swap SSDs, boot from the external, then clone to the new SSD? Or should I get a USB to M2 hub and clone direct from oldSSD to new SSD?

I don’t have a win 10 disk, so not sure how I’d do a clean install. It has been like since winxp since I’ve installed windows

Microsoft has Windows 10 out there for you to download.

So, I've seen some chatter that the Samsung migration tool may not work if I have to connect the new M2 disk via a USB connector (which is how I'll have to do it to clone). Have you run into that? Or have you had a free slot to install to first?

So, I've seen some chatter that the Samsung migration tool may not work if I have to connect the new M2 disk via a USB connector (which is how I'll have to do it to clone). Have you run into that? Or have you had a free slot to install to first?
I've always had a free slot.

All done, was a lot easier than I thought. Luckily my samsung drive, while connected via a M.2 to USB connector was recognized by the system, so I could use the Samsung Data Migration tool. Took about an hour to clone.

I did have a scare for a bit. When I swapped out the M.2. SSD, and plugged the battery back in, and screwed the case back together.. when I turned the computer on, the screen stayed black. Shut it down, booted again. Nada.

Opened her back up. Took out the SSD, put it back in, made sure the battery was reconnected tightly. Then I sort of looked around and luckily I noticed that the screen connector was loose, so I snapped that back into place. Re-screwed it all together, turned it on. Boom, works like nothing changed, except a ton more space.

because of the mishap, I'd say it took me about 2-2.5 hours total.

All done, was a lot easier than I thought. Luckily my samsung drive, while connected via a M.2 to USB connector was recognized by the system, so I could use the Samsung Data Migration tool. Took about an hour to clone.

I did have a scare for a bit. When I swapped out the M.2. SSD, and plugged the battery back in, and screwed the case back together.. when I turned the computer on, the screen stayed black. Shut it down, booted again. Nada.

Opened her back up. Took out the SSD, put it back in, made sure the battery was reconnected tightly. Then I sort of looked around and luckily I noticed that the screen connector was loose, so I snapped that back into place. Re-screwed it all together, turned it on. Boom, works like nothing changed, except a ton more space.

because of the mishap, I'd say it took me about 2-2.5 hours total.
Congrats!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom