Sweden (1 Viewer)

Tony1Saintfan

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Have any of you been there and if so what parts of the country do you recommend for a couple of 50 year olds to check out? My wife and I have a good friend who lives in France and we are going there to meet his new wife and travel around there for a few days before heading off to Sweden.

Alright, here we go -

I grew up there and spent the first 18 years in Sweden so hopefully some of this information will be useful to you! Let me know if you have any specific requests etc, but I will post general ideas.

1 - Stockholm is one of the most beautiful capitals in the world(IMO). Especially if you include the famous archipelago, which is stunning in the summer. Spend some time exploring the city and it famous museums(Vasa etc) and then take the Vaxholms ferry out to explore the countless islands. My family used to have summer house on one of these islands. It’s a must!

2 - Bohuslän/Smögen

The west coast is also famous for its coastline. Smögen is a city/village which attracts a lot of tourists every year. If you are renting a car, drive around and just check out the small towns and don’t forget to have lots of “fika”. Gothenburg, Sweden’s second largest city, is also on the west coast and is worth checking out for a day or 2!

3 - Malmö/Copenhagen

Not sure if you are flying, taking the ferry from Germany, or driving through Denmark. However, the Malmö-Copenhagen region is pretty cool. If you have time, you have to check out Copenhagen. I know it’s in Denmark, but it’s a really awesome place. Take the bridge if you can. Not sure if you have ever seen the TV show Bron/ The Bridge, but maybe check out the Swedish version (the orginal) before you leave if you plan on visiting that area.

4 - Österlen -

I haven’t spent much time in the part of Skåne, but it’s really beautiful. If the weather is good, they actually have some solid beaches as well.

5 - Lakes

Not sure when you go, hopefully in the summer, however if you travel by car, just drive a few minutes away from any highway and you find many awesome lakes. And they are usually warmer than the ocean!

6 - Northern Sweden

I’m honestly not all that familiar with the northern part of the country, and sure how long you are staying for. It’s supposed to be pretty sweet and lots of good hikes etc. I know the ice hotel is a pretty popular place!

Hope you have a great time and let me know if you have any questions! We usually go back about once a year, but it’s mostly to see our families and don’t always have time to “play tourists”.

Wyrmer(a Swedish poster on SR) - what did I miss my friend!?

Last edited:
Alright, here we go -

I grew up there and spent the first 18 years in Sweden so hopefully some of this information will be useful to you! Let me know if you have any specific requests etc, but I will post general ideas.

1 - Stockholm is one of the most beautiful capitals in the world(IMO). Especially if you include the famous archipelago, which is stunning in the summer. Spend some time exploring the city and it famous museums(Vasa etc) and then take the Vaxholms ferry out to explore the countless islands. My family used to have summer house on one of these islands. It’s a must!

2 - Bohuslän/Smögen

The west coast is also famous for its coastline. Smögen is a city/village which attracts a lot of tourists every year. If you are renting a car, drive around and just check out the small towns and don’t forget to have lots of “fika”. Gothenburg, Sweden’s second largest city, is also on the west coast and is worth checking out for a day or 2!

3 - Malmö/Copenhagen

Not sure if you are flying, taking the ferry from Germany, or driving through Denmark. However, the Malmö-Copenhagen region is pretty cool. If you have time, you have to check out Copenhagen. I know it’s in Denmark, but it’s a really awesome place. Take the bridge if you can. Not sure if you have ever seen the TV show Bron/ The Bridge, but maybe check out the Swedish version (the orginal) before you leave if you plan on visiting that area.

4 - Österlen -

I haven’t spent much time in the part of Skåne, but it’s really beautiful. If the weather is good, they actually have some solid beaches as well.

5 - Lakes

Not sure when you go, hopefully in the summer, however if you travel by car, just drive a few minutes away from any highway and you find many awesome lakes. And they are usually warmer than the ocean!

6 - Northern Sweden

I’m honestly not all that familiar with the northern part of the country, and sure how long you are staying for. It’s supposed to be pretty sweet and lots of good hikes etc. I know the ice hotel is a pretty popular place!

Hope you have a great time and let me know if you have any questions! We usually go back about once a year, but it’s mostly to see our families and don’t always have time to “play tourists”.

Wyrmer(a Swedish poster on SSF) - what did I miss my friend!?

I know I wasn’t the one who asked, but thank you for this.

second on my list of must visits.

first is prague, the underground has fascinated me since 7th or 8th grade. so forking cool.

that said, in lieu of prague, i could easily be persuaded to visit any of he scandinavian countries.

Prague is one of my favorite cities. Have been twice, will go back again.

The first time I left this country was in 1984 to spend 2 months working around Scandinavia. A lot of it is a blur now but I do remember how beautiful the country was and how nice the people were.

Take the bridge if you can. Not sure if you have ever seen the TV show Bron/ The Bridge, but maybe check out the Swedish version (the orginal) before you leave if you plan on visiting that area.
Where can I find this? I’ve looked for it any number of times
I watched the US/Mexico version bc every one talked about how great the original was

Prague is one of my favorite cities. Have been twice, will go back again.

The first time I left this country was in 1984 to spend 2 months working around Scandinavia. A lot of it is a blur now but I do remember how beautiful the country was and how nice the people were.

Absolutely love Prague! We were there 2 years ago and want to go back ASAP! Just stay away from the main town square or you will get hit by multiple selfie sticks! Prague is probably my favorite city, and Switzerland gets my vote for most beautiful country! Not a huge fan of Geneva, but the Swiss Alps are incredible!

Absolutely love Prague! We were there 2 years ago and want to go back ASAP! Just stay away from the main town square or you will get hit by multiple selfie sticks! Prague is probably my favorite city, and Switzerland gets my vote for most beautiful country! Not a huge fan of Geneva, but the Swiss Alps are incredible!
I have an original watercolor of Prague in my living room, which tells you all you need to know.

Had a Swedish aunt who still had a trace of an accent. She played Santa Claus one year. Yours truly was about 7 or 8, and I remember blurting out, "This Santa Claus sounds like Auntie Esther." Little kids will say anything. 😀

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom