Swine Flu help (1 Viewer)

My daughter had it a couple of weeks ago. She ran 104 for about 3 days with severe flu symptoms.

It turned to just 103 with a bad cough. It lasted 7 days total.

Now, I watched a story on 60 minutes last weekend and most H1N1 cases (99 percent) are no big deal.

I should have another update in an hour, although my gut is telling me maybe just maybe she might be getting better.

My wife, two kids, and I, all just had it. We all have remnants of a cough. Fevers peaked at 103 but were well controlled with motrin. My daughter's fever lasted 6 days. For the rest of us it was 3-4 days. We all had severe body aches and headache, and bad coughs. My wife was the only one with intestinal symptoms.

Three of us developed secondary bacterial infections requiring antibiotic therapy. My daughter's was strep, my son and I both were negative for strep but had bacterial ear infections, I also had bronchitis which responded to the antibiotics.

The body aches and couging combined produced a stabing like sensation in my back with each cough. I have to say it was the most miserable I've felt as an adult.

I know others who were hospitalized with pneumonia. Everyone I know has recovered.

Early access to health care seems critical in identifying and treating secondary infections which can lead to pneumonia.

It seems that many individuals over 50 have some resistance. I've both observed and read this.

If you get it, seek medical care to ensure that any secondary infections are addressed. This seems to be a frequent thing with this virus and what often leads to hospitalization.

Incidentally, more than 99% of all flu in the country right now is H1N1. If you get sick, this is probably what you have.

Three of us developed secondary bacterial infections requiring antibiotic therapy. My daughter's was strep, my son and I both were negative for strep but had bacterial ear infections, I also had bronchitis which responded to the antibiotics.

I forgot to mention this part... my kid developed bronchitis after the flu. If we didn't pester the dr. for another checkup and antibiotics, I'm sure it would have turned to pneumonia.

I'd be surprised if she doesn't get better soon. Most of the cases that I've heard about, and the case that I had, (not 100% sure it was Swine Flu, but most likely. I had all the symptons and my roommate had Swine Flu) only lasted a few days and it felt like the regular flu. Anyways, hope she gets better man.

Been wondering if this is what my youngest had last week.. Last week, monday, he went to school.. not feeling all that great, but he went ahead to school.. come noon time, felt like heck.. checked out went home.. by the time I got home, he was laying in his bed BURNING UP, two tylenol.. and an hour later fever was 102+, gave him ibuprofin, got the fever down some more.. Fever lasted a good four days, kept under control, switching between tylenol and ibuprofin. Come thursday had an ear infection, took him to the doc Friday morning, got antibiotics and some stuff to clear up the congested sinuses.. he felt better come game time sunday. :)

Now, the way this came on him all of a sudden.. high fever, body aches all over, dizziness etc.. I thought FLU. But he never developed a cough, much less a runny nose, just a lot of pressure on the sinuses, soar throat, and eventually the ear ache.. I asked the doc what it might of been, all he said, "no telling, lots of stuff going around right now.. "

thoughts and prayers still with you and your girlfriend..

Here's an update: fever came back up to 103 but her oxygen level is coming up as well, at this point ill take something positive with something bad anytime of the day. Her friend that's with her seems a little more upbeat, so hopefully the tide is turning... slowly but hopefully turning. You just don't understand how difficult it is not to be even allowed in the room! I go there every day, then at night talk through web chat, it sucks but its keeping me sane.

hahahah i needed a good laugh XD, or maybe eeyore your werent being funny *gasp* ill run and get my saints helmet just to make sure lol.

I hope all goes well for your girl, bro. I'm sure all will be fine but I'll keep y'all in my thoughts. :9:

I had it, and also gave it to my girlfriend. I was running a 102+ fever for 4 or 5 days, and woke up any time I tried to go to sleep with cold sweats, and had to go take a freezing shower and change my sheets because they were soaked. I didn't have much vomiting or anything, but I had plenty of coughing, chest pain, trouble breathing, fever, so on and so on. My girlfriend on the other hand, had extreme vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, the whole nine yards. We were both prescribed tamiflu and promethazine with codeine(for the cough/chest pain) and got over it within a matter of a week or so.
Good luck to your girl man, I'll send a prayer your way, and hope she heals fast.

Well the night didnt bring any good news, they tried to ween her off the oxygen and she wound up passing out, so she is back on it. Ill keep updates up as the day goes on, but im really starting to worry now, she's as pale as I've ever seen.

Well i don't know how to say this but, she woke up after passing out and was able to talk to me on web chat a tad except for one thing... she swore up and down that I was there last night with her sister (which passed away 2 years ago) at 1 and was laying beside her. I told her that was not possible and she was convinced it happened. I guess she had a revelation that indeed the sister in thought was dead and didnt respond back. I text the only person allowed in the room at this time which is her friend, and I asked her what she was doing. Then I caught the biggest chill ever when she sent a msg back saying she was crying really hard and throwing up everywhere, I told her to immediately get a nurse/doctor, and 5 min later she was passed out again. i feel like im losing her guys and I cant even be in the same room at least to comfort her, this is so wrong on so many levels. I want to think that the hallucination came from her oxygen getting low the first time when they tried to let her do it herself, but i don't know anything anymore. Im a college engineering student, not a doctor :( .

What hospital in Dallas is she a patient?

Sounds rough dude. Hang in there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom