Switching carriers with an old phone (Sprint Evo to T-mobile) (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have an old Sprint HTC Evo that I haven't used in a while. I'm wondering if it's possible to use it with T-mobile? They have a cheap no contract plan I'm gonna set up for my kids. Any ideas? Is it even possible to use the Evo on T-mobile's network?

Nope . You need a sim card phone like t-mobile or at&t .

Most carriers will give you a free phone anyway when you switch. Even if you have an old phone that will work, you don't really save anything by using it. They'll still make you sign a contract. You're just screwing yourself out of the new phone.

Sprint/Verizon use somewhat antiquated cellular technology called CDMA. AT&T/Tmobile and basically the rest of the world, use newer GSM. The 2 do not play together at all.

Most carriers will give you a free phone anyway when you switch. Even if you have an old phone that will work, you don't really save anything by using it. They'll still make you sign a contract. You're just screwing yourself out of the new phone.

T-Mobile has a no contract plan, $30/month, 100 mins talk, unlimited web and text. I don't want a contract. If I can find a cheap used T-Mobile compatible phone, I'm good to go. I just wish I could use my old Sprint HTC Evo phones, but it doesn't look promising.

Monthly 4G Prepaid Plans | Compare Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

T-Mobile has a no contract plan, $30/month, 100 mins talk, unlimited web and text. I don't want a contract. If I can find a cheap used T-Mobile compatible phone, I'm good to go. I just wish I could use my old Sprint HTC Evo phones, but it doesn't look promising.

Monthly 4G Prepaid Plans | Compare Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

Just buy an unlocked quad-band GSM phone of your liking (there are plenty available at online retailers), or buy a T-mobile prepaid phone and use the new SIM they give you.

If you decide to buy one used, make sure you check the ESN online before you buy it. If a phone has been reported stolen before, or if it's tied to debt on someone else's account they won't let you use it.

There are free websites where you can check before buying though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom