System or good players ? or both ? :) (1 Viewer)

oldJC.SAINTS

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at the kind of strech our young WR have had so far, I'm wondering if the System does make great players or the opposite.

* Rice was Rice with 49ers. Raiders ?
* Montana was Montana with 49ers. Chiefs ?
* Patriots, each year they compete, each year they have few new key players.
* Moss was a beast with the Vikes. Raiders ?
* James is having big trouble with Cards despite the fact that they had last year one of the best passing offense.
*Thomas Jones at Cards, now with Bears ?
*The Broncos HB situation those last few years.

Those are the exemple that come to my mind, there are probably many others and also contr-exemple.

Anyway, talking about the Saints if u take a look it seems that every week someone is gonna produce a big game as a WR.

---> Colston had a huge October with 18 rec 373 & 4 tds, and was having a monster November with 21 rec 292 yds 1td (2 games).

---> Devery Henderson is having a eye-poping November with 16 rec 438 yds & 3tds (3 games).

---> Horn was also huge in October 20 rec 347yds & 3tds. And his having one of his year in terms of long plays.

The "no-name" Copper is having a solid November.

In our case, really looks like our system finds a way to make our WRs shine. Each week someone seems to step up.

In the end I think it's a combination of playmakers and the system. The fact is our combination is lethal and that after just 11 games !!! I'm so happy to watch this offense play after so many years of misery ! And with Bush almost in the top 5 in receptions, I think the greatest show on earth is now OURS !!! :)

* Rice was Rice with 49ers. Raiders ?
He was succesful with the Raiders particularly considering his age. But he was also in a similiar system. (1,139, 1,211 Super Bowl year, 869 when they collapsed following the Super Bowl)

* Montana was Montana with 49ers. Chiefs ?
Succesful with the Chiefs. 87.4 and 83.8 rating in the twlight of his career.

* Patriots, each year they compete, each year they have few new key players.
But one constant, Tom Brady, arguably the best QB in the NFL now. The Patriots were 5-13 with Belicheck/Bledsoe combined. They didn't become THE Patriots until Belicheck teamed with Brady.

* Moss was a beast with the Vikes. Raiders ?
Valid

* James is having big trouble with Cards despite the fact that they had last year one of the best passing offense.
Terrible offensive line.

*Thomas Jones at Cards, now with Bears ?
The Cardinals have had a terrible offensive line for a pretty long time

*The Broncos HB situation those last few years.
Valid

The correct answer is "The Player has to fit the System"

No player has great success in a system that doesn't fit his strengths and no system functions with the wrong players. Don't over-analyze. Payton has excelled in finding players that fit his system, which is why people can step right in despite injuries. Not because the system makes anyone look good.

Drew Brees is the reason our WR's are looking really well. Drew gets it to them, they just have to catch it. So it's the system and the players.

"

No player has great success in a system that doesn't fit his strengths and no system functions with the wrong players. Don't over-analyze. Payton has excelled in finding players that fit his system, which is why people can step right in despite injuries. Not because the system makes anyone look good.

This is probably true, or is it that the coach is able to adapt the system to fit the players. Example- you realize your O-line will have trouble early so you work on short passes and receiver sets that stretch out the D, to help. Thankfully I believe the Saints are blessed with a smart coach who can find the right players and adapt when necessary, and a smart QB who understands what the coach wants and how to impliment it.
either way we are alone in first place in the NFC south!!!!!!!!!!!

This is probably true, or is it that the coach is able to adapt the system to fit the players.

The "or" is a little confusing. Your statement and mine aren't mutually exclusive. You're correct. The coach has to be able to adapt the system to fit the players. In otherwords, the system has to fit the players, the players have to fit the system. It's a mutual deal.

This is probably true, or is it that the coach is able to adapt the system to fit the players. Example- you realize your O-line will have trouble early so you work on short passes and receiver sets that stretch out the D, to help. Thankfully I believe the Saints are blessed with a smart coach who can find the right players and adapt when necessary, and a smart QB who understands what the coach wants and how to impliment it.
either way we are alone in first place in the NFC south!!!!!!!!!!!

Payton's ability to design his system around the strengths of his players reminds me of Bill Walsh, who did the same thing so well in San Francisco with Montana and Rice.

Payton's ability to design his system around the strengths of his players reminds me of Bill Walsh, who did the same thing so well in San Francisco with Montana and Rice.

Great point.....This is another discussion that I wouldn't look at as an either or question. The system in New Orleans is built around the players. So it's a hand in hand thing. It helps to have a system that players believe in (if you want to look at atlanta, I don't think the WR's believe in the offense or the QB) but no system works w/o the right players. We just have a good marriage of the two in New Orleans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom