Take this pole: What is the biggest problem for the Saints this year? (1 Viewer)

What is the biggest problem for the Saints this year?

• Total voters
I'm not going to try and argue with Deuce, but I don't think he understands what fans are unhappy about. It's tendencies. For me, it's less about what pass plays are being called versus when, and same for the run game. I'm well aware that our quarterback is missing reads on early down pass plays. But to run almost 100% of the time on 2nd and 10 after an incompletion is just madness.

I agree with this and posted the Ross Jackson tweet about SIX 1st and 10 incompletions followed by run plays. I think there are some non-Winston play calling and execution issues, especially on screens.

That said, Winston has to find a 3-5 yard completion on first down when Carolina is stacking the box. He isn’t executing or audibling to beat the blitz. He is putting us in 2nd and 10 too often.

I agree with this and posted the Ross Jackson tweet about SIX 1st and 10 incompletions followed by run plays. I think there are some non-Winston play calling and execution issues, especially on screens.

That said, Winston has to find a 3-5 yard completion on first down when Carolina is stacking the box. He isn’t executing or audibling to beat the blitz. He is putting us in 2nd and 10 too often.

Agree 100%

It's no mistake that historically this offense likes looking for a big play on 1st and 10, and rightfully so, there's no reason not to. But the look will rarely be there. He needs to find the 2nd and 3rd guys a lot quicker to set us up for success. But running on 2nd and 10 that many times is unforgivable. Our tendencies absolutely have to be mixed up otherwise defenses will just feast based off of film study.

Ignoring open intermediate targets for the first down is killing drives and losing games. Can’t fully tell if that’s Winston or Carmichael instructing him to. Last year Payton made sure Winston targeted the short field and the RB to some extent, which likely because we had to based on who was at WR. Now it doesn’t happen at all until the end of the game. If that continues against Minny in game 4, then it’ll become clear it’s the QB’s judgement that’s disregarding the safe reads

Who says coaches can't be replaced? Coordinators getting fired in-season isn't uncommon. I think Pete should be fired and duties should be given to Ronald Curry, regardless of who plays quarterback.
Didn't they hire Doug Marrone on the off chance that Pete wouldn't take the position?

It's not... and it's easy to see for anyone without a predisposed disposition towards a specific QB preference. The plays are there to be made... He's just not making them consistently. I honestly think he gets one more game to turn it around... then a change is made at QB if he doesn't... Or it should be. 2 division losses, and 3 conference losses to start the year is a near death sentence. Pete has been one of the best OCs, play callers, and playbook creators in the NFL for over a decade under CSP... he didn't all of a sudden become bad at it when JW arrived.

It's not... and it's easy to see for anyone without a predisposed disposition towards a specific QB preference. The plays are there to be made... He's just not making them consistently. I honestly think he gets one more game to turn it around... then a change is made at QB if he doesn't... Or it should be. 2 division losses, and 3 conference losses to start the year is a near death sentence. Pete has been one of the best OCs, play callers, and playbook creators in the NFL for over a decade under CSP... he didn't all of a sudden become bad at it when JW arrived.

Pete was never a true OC for as long as Sean was in the building. His own chance at running the offense in 2012 wasn't good (I've posted numbers that back that, and of course you've ignored them.) Other than that, it was Sean's offense and Sean's playbook. Majority of this board agree that the playcalling was predictable. It's only a select few of you who ONLY want to blame the quarterback who don't want to actually see it. I don't have a quarterback preference right now. I've criticized Jameis plenty and he's absolutely a part of the problem. But anyone from their couch can see that we're tipping our hand to the defense on 1st and 2nd down. That's a big problem in itself, just like the quarterback play has been a problem.

Pete was never a true OC for as long as Sean was in the building. His own chance at running the offense in 2012 wasn't good (I've posted numbers that back that, and of course you've ignored them.) Other than that, it was Sean's offense and Sean's playbook. Majority of this board agree that the playcalling was predictable. It's only a select few of you who ONLY want to blame the quarterback who don't want to actually see it. I don't have a quarterback preference right now. I've criticized Jameis plenty and he's absolutely a part of the problem. But anyone from their couch can see that we're tipping our hand to the defense on 1st and 2nd down. That's a big problem in itself, just like the quarterback play has been a problem.

Tell it to this man... I am not buying that, and neither is he.
download-1-25.jpeg

And about half the serious votes in this poll have gone to JW is bad, or JW is injured and playing bad because of it (which matters not to me because he shouldn't be playing in either scenario)... It's hardly "a select few"... And I have never said... It's all JWs fault... Never. But if we have to make a change to fix the offense... He's the obvious change... and first on the list.

Last edited:
Tell it to this man...
download-1-25.jpeg

Yeah? Is every former player just automatically correct now? I legimately don't think Deuce realizes what people are upset about. I personally don't take an issue with what plays were called, I take issue with tipping run/pass to the defense on nearly every 1st and 2nd down.

Before the game got out of hand yesterday we passed nearly 80% more of the time on 1st down than 2nd down, and ran the ball over 70% more of the time on 2nd down than 1st down. The times we did go to the pass on 2nd down we got really good results, and of course some of our best runs were on 1st down. What I'm telling you isn't made up, the results are there to be seen. It's not an unrealistic expectation for fans to want their offensive coordinator to be less predictable with their playcalling. I'm tired of seeing defenders tee off and fly into the backfield unblocked because they know what's coming.

But yes, let a photograph of Deuce (albeit a handsome one) do your arguing for you.

Yeah? Is every former player just automatically correct now? I legimately don't think Deuce realizes what people are upset about. I personally don't take an issue with what plays were called, I take issue with tipping run/pass to the defense on nearly every 1st and 2nd down.

Before the game got out of hand yesterday we passed nearly 80% more of the time on 1st down than 2nd down, and ran the ball over 70% more of the time on 2nd down than 1st down. The times we did go to the pass on 2nd down we got really good results, and of course some of our best runs were on 1st down. What I'm telling you isn't made up, the results are there to be seen. It's not an unrealistic expectation for fans to want their offensive coordinator to be less predictable with their playcalling. I'm tired of seeing defenders tee off and fly into the backfield unblocked because they know what's coming.

But yes, let a photograph of Deuce (albeit a handsome one) do your arguing for you.

Your takes are starting to take on an unhealthy level of mental gymnastics now... that are bordering on fan boy fatal attraction.

Deuce is not just some "former player"... He played in this system, He knows these coaches, and plays... He actually watches tape, He calls the games, He literally an analyst for this team, He has access to the team... He has more insight into this team than just about anyone around that's not a current player or coach. There are not many people on the planet that are more qualified than he is to have a serious take on this. He's also not some sensationalist media head that barks garbage to get ratings... He's an honest - tell it like it is guy that doesn't lie or get riled up over anything.

What you legitimately think, your cherry picked stats to fit your pre-determined narrative, and auto-JW-deflection mechanisms... Are more than Trumped by whatever Deuce has to say on the matter. And it's not even an argument. The fact that you think there is one... means you are too far down the rabbit hole.

If Deuce says it's not the playcalling... then it's not the playcalling. "every former player".... Ha!

Last edited:
Your takes are starting to take on an unhealthy level of mental gymnastics now... that are bordering on fan boy fatal attraction.

Deuce is not just some "former player"... He played in this system, He knows these coaches, and plays... He actually watches tape, He calls the games, He literally an analyst for this team, He has access to the team... He has more insight into this team than just about anyone around that's not an actual player or coach. He's also not some sensationalist media head that barks garbage to get ratings... He's an honest - tell it like it is guy that doesn't lie or get riled up over anything.

What you legitimately think, your cherry picked stats to fit your pre-determined narrative, and auto-JW-deflection mechanisms... Are more than Trumped by whatever Deuce has to say on the matter. And it's not even an argument. The fact that you think there is one... means you are too far down the rabbit hole.

If Deuce says it's not the playcalling... then it's not the playcalling. "every former player".... Ha!

Fan boy fatal attraction? Boy, you really are something. The poll is public. I voted for Jameis being bad in addition to my vote for Pete being predictable. My post history is also public, where I've criticized his game play multiple times since the loss on Sunday. I'm curious, do you actually read my posts? They aren't cherry picked stats, they are actual stats from the entirety of the game. And they're not pro-Jameis stats - they're simply pointing out serious flaws in our offensive coordinator.

In addition, Deuce played in this system for a little over a year, when Pete was our QB coach. What we're running now is light years different than when he played for this team. In addition, I never argued directly with his point, I simply suggested that he isn't on the same page in terms of what fans are upset about. The types of plays that are called are one thing, I don't really have an issue with the pass plays being called or the run plays being called. Deuce said the playcalls are fine and they probably are fine. But that doesn't mean they aren't predictable. My numbers objectively back that it's easy for a defense to tell whether we're running or passing based on down and distance. I can see it with my own eyes when watching the game on Sunday. We're passing 80%+ of the time on 1st down, and we're running 75% of the time on second down. Then I check the play by play to make sure my eyes aren't lying to me, and I tally it all up. It's math. It's really easy, you know? If it's that easy for a fan, imagine how easy it is for defensive coaches and players whose job it is to gameplan against our offense, who watch film on us every day for a week straight? Deuce is 100% right, there are plays to be made. It's on the offense to execute, and we haven't. But we're setting the difficulty to extra hard when we tell the defense exactly what we're doing on 1st and 2nd down.

But please, continue to ignore my every point and just call me a "Jameis fan boy" when I never brought him up, nor have I defended his play. You lose any sort of credibility in terms of reading comprehension if you think that my argument is showing any support of Jameis' play on the football field.

So I’ll actually say it’s quite unfair to pin things *all* on Winston.

He doesn’t have a good line and the play calls are poop.

That being said would Aaron Rodgers or Russel Wilson succeed on (despite?) this team? Who knows. Probably so

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom