Takeo Spikes (1 Viewer)

Maybe what this move does, is it may allow us to wait until the 2nd or 3rd round for a LB instead of the first. We can go CB or DT in the first and not have to second guess ourselves.

This is a very sticky situation. What are we going to do with 7 linebackers on the roster (that includes Spikes if we sign him)?

I wanted him a few years ago when he was a FA, one thing that bothers me though that everything team he has been on never made the playoffs. We have enough jinxes already dont need another one!

So, you are confident that he WILL NOT help this team? Where did Simoneau come from? Shanle? Fujita? Morgan? Vilma? All of them were cast off from their teams because their teams felt they did not help their teams any longer. So, should we cut them all and start over on that basis?

Those guys came w/ cheap contracts.....Anyways, it wont happen.

Maybe what this move does, is it may allow us to wait until the 2nd or 3rd round for a LB instead of the first. We can go CB or DT in the first and not have to second guess ourselves.

I would be shocked if we drafted a LBer with our first pick whether we sign (not likely) Spikes or not.

Just one concern for me. How much guaranteed money is Morgan getting and how much does Spikes want? If we can minimize that number I say pull the trigger.

Why not sign him? Im not overly concerned about Vilmas health as he has only had one injury, but Morgans 4 million concussions concern me as much as his achilles does. He is always injured and Fujita Vilma Shanle doesnt have the same ring to it as Fujita Vilma Spikes. Not to mention Simoneau isnt really a guy we want to see getting alot of playing time, nor "I got run down by an offensive lineman" Shanle. He would be an upgrade over both of them if healthy, and for that matter who backs up Fujita? If one of our starters goes down I would feel much more comfortable with Spikes back there, or if Spikes starts with Morgan back there

im lost. takeo spikes has played in 85% of his possible games played but albert haynesworth played in 79% of his but haynesworth is not injury prone and spikes is. im just wondering how he is injury prone someone please help me.

Thats because the definition of injury prone has been changed from someone who is often injured for long periods of time, and upon recovery, is very likely to be re-injured.

The NEW definition of injury prone (media-wise at least) is anyone who has been injured within the past few seasons and missed significant playing time because of it.

For example to me and you, Vilma and Spikes aren't injury prone players they've just had a run of bad luck as of late. The only injury prone signing we've made this off-season is Morgan and I wasn't too excited about him anyway, he's great if he can play but if not, we needed to at least TRY to replace Shanle. Them signing Spikes is kind of an insurance on Morgan that if he doesn't come good, Spikes will and thus we won't HAVE to start Shanle. Also the Takeo Spikes that was playing for the Bengals would in my opinion start over Fujita if he could somehow be revived by the change of scenery. However to my knowledge we haven't signed Spikes yet so that's irrelevant until we hear otherwise.

why do you talk to people like that? Sharing Mike D's opinion was actually a valuable addition to this thread.

So was my reminding everybody that Mike D's word doesn't come down from middle eastern mountains on stone tablets.

I like reading his column every week. I buy his draft guide and no other. but let's keep it in perspective.

And, dude, believe me, you don't want to get into a discussion about posting styles.

Anyway, talking to my Philly fan friends, they say Takeo is way overrated but admit that for the right price he can be a valuable contributor. I doubt we would break the bank for him, anyway, so I don't mind giving him a look.

Please provide some examples of who these folks are, and whether or not they live in Philadelphia like I do and have the privilege (?) of watching all of their games.

Way overrated, no, because nobody in their right mind had a 30-year-old WLB coming off an Achilles injury rated that highly. He was certainly more effective than Shanle last year, and while the big plays weren't there for Spikes, and that's one reason the Eagles didn't keep him, there were also Eagle-specific reasons for his release, which you could see coming a mile away: bottom line is they don't keep anybody over 30 they don't think is a big difference maker.

He was better at his peak than Morgan, and IMO a better health risk in 2008 to boot.

Keep in mind the linebacker play was horrible last season, Fujita is a average linebacker, Nothing special.

It's really quite simple. Signing Takeo Spikes would save us from spending an early draft pick on a LB, so we can address our more critical needs at DT, CB, FS, and TE.

I just think this is a terrible idea. The Saints LBs aren't particularly young as it is, why add Spikes in lieu of a draft pick?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom