Takeo Spikes (1 Viewer)

Here's what Mike D said in the new Ask Mike that just came out about Spikes:

3. A league friend told me that Takeo is basically done as a top-flight NFL performer and has never been the same since the Achilles injury.

so was brees.:idunno:

Spikes is done. He no longer has the athleticism that made him a special player.

If you watched Takeo Spikes play last year with the Eagles last year he was impressive, and was definitely a important piece of their defense. They let him go because of his injury, and his cap. What makes you think Spikes won't have at least one more productive year next year?

Here's what Mike D said in the new Ask Mike that just came out about Spikes:

3. A league friend told me that Takeo is basically done as a top-flight NFL performer and has never been the same since the Achilles injury.

Wait.

Let me go kill myself because some league friend of a guy with the Houma Daily Courier told him he was basically done as a top-flight NFL performer.

He showed at least journeyman veteran qualities on a very solid defense last year, his first full year coming off a big injury.

He'll likely never be at the level he had at his prime, but the Eagles let him go b/c of a $5M cap hit and their addiction to unproven players.

Let's just say it's not out of the realm of the possible he's still better than either Shanle or Morgan for the next two seasons.

If you watched Takeo Spikes play last year with the Eagles last year he was impressive, and was definitely a important piece of their defense.

I watched every Eagles game. He had tackles, but just tackles. He made virtually no impact plays.

Spikes could be useful as a back-up, but not much more than that. It would be a much, much better idea to get a young guy that actually has some upside.

I watched every Eagles game. He had tackles, but just tackles. He made virtually no impact plays.

Spikes could be useful as a back-up, but not much more than that. It would be a much, much better idea to get a young guy that actually has some upside.
How many impact plays did Dan Morgan make?

Spikes or Morgan will never take Fujitas spot. He is a top tier lber.

Fujita is a decent working mans LB but he is not top tier. This is the same guy who couldn't win a starting job in Dallas. Its not hard to look like the best LB on the team when your counterparts are Mark Simoneau and Scott Shanle. We'll see what his numbers look like after this season.

Fujita is a decent working mans LB but he is not top tier. This is the same guy who couldn't win a starting job in Dallas.

You do realize that Dallas runs a 3-4? Fujita is more in the mold of a 4-3 linebacker. Wrong system.

Like others said, there's a chance he could still be a top flight player...there's also a chance Morgan or Vilma won't recover. Bringing him in increases our probablility in have a good LB corp, just don't break the bank.

I am sure to catch hell for this, but is Fujita REALLY a top tier player? He's a great guy and fans love him, but is he a great player? I personally don't think so. Where are the forced turnovers or sacks or even 100 tackle seasons??? They just aren't there. He's a good guy and a nice addition to the team, but he's been essentially cast off by two franchises (we signed him at a pretty good bargain for a starting LBer). If you didn't know the guy's name or anything about him and just watched him play, you'd say...he's a solid but unspectacular player.

Spikes would be brought in for depth, nothing more. As stated before he still is a servicable veteran, however he isn't a top tier talent anymore. He is veteran insurrance. We have two recently aquired LBers that have had injury histories (Morgan even more than Vilma). You can never have enough depth and bringing in a guy like Spikes to add to the mix along with Fujita, Vilma, Morgan, Simoneau and Shanle isn't a bad thing. We'd bacically have 6 linebackers with starting NFL experience that can step in at any given time.

Wouldn't be a bad addition, however doubt we are the front runners for him. More like we're just kicking the tires to see what he might have left.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom