Taking a new job, plenty of PTO left (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Hey folks, looking for advice. I just accepted a job that would like me to start on Sept 1. Great job, dream job.

Between now and then I have PTO scheduled from next week til the 8th, and then I will have 12 days remaining for the year. What is best practice here? Do I burn the days? Do company’s pay the difference? Should I just offer up my 2 weeks notice, and play it by ear? What is best practice in this situation?

I guess it depends how long you've worked there and what kind of relationship you have with them

The company I work for does not pay out unused time. That being said, I have paid my guys their vacation/PTO during the final two weeks they work because they were great employees and they stayed on for the last two weeks to train their replacement. All depends on the company

Congratulations on your new job!

My old job this guy scheduled all his time off, then put his notice in.

It's really your choice. If it was me, I would maximize days off. I would take off all PTO, then put my notice in, and maybe have a week of two, of no job. Once you start back to work again, it will back to the daily grind, so take advantage of it.

I'm really horrible at job interviews, so I can generally get the job interview, but have a difficult time convincing Human Resources to pull the trigger.

One company who hired me, was nice enough enough to say, this isn't a job interview, but made it like a discussion. I actually started yelling at the Human Resources lady on the pre-screening interview, for asking dumb questions. That's how bad I'am on interviews.

My brother is a pro at job interviews, he owned a few businesses, did higher executive jobs, and I try to get coached up by him. Even with the coaching, I still stink at them.

Another job interview, I started laughing, cracking jokes, and the H.R. lady said, I want to remind you, this is a job interview. The only reason why I got the job I think, is I knew about three people there, so it definitely helps, if you know people.

My last job interview, I didn't get, but I know they wanted to hire me, but I have a hard time with those star questions and answers. They probably figured I have dyslexia from my back ground, they even gave me extra time to pre-read the questions, and I still didn't get it. Applied for that job about 3 times, and twice they reposted. They reposted the job again, so maybe the 4th time is the charm.

The H.R. lady even called and tried to coach me and critiqued my interview for me, so I would do better next time, but nope. Maybe I'm just unemployable?!?!

Hey folks, looking for advice. I just accepted a job that would like me to start on Sept 1. Great job, dream job.

Between now and then I have PTO scheduled from next week til the 8th, and then I will have 12 days remaining for the year. What is best practice here? Do I burn the days? Do company’s pay the difference? Should I just offer up my 2 weeks notice, and play it by ear? What is best practice in this situation?

I cannot speak for your employer, but what i can tell you is that a lot of companies (maybe most?) will cut you loose as soon as you inform the that you are resigning/accepting another position/putting in two weeks etc…. So, while I’m not advocating NOT giving two weeks notice, what i am saying is do not worry at all about doing exactly what is best for you in this situation, since most companies would do exactly what is best for them if the situation were reversed.

I cannot speak for your employer, but what i can tell you is that a lot of companies (maybe most?) will cut you loose as soon as you inform the that you are resigning/accepting another position/putting in two weeks etc…. So, while I’m not advocating NOT giving two weeks notice, what i am saying is do not worry at all about doing exactly what is best for you in this situation, since most companies would do exactly what is best for them if the situation were reversed.
I'll add the type of career and demand for workers adds into it.

In my field of IT, folks will be immediately blocked from access due to the implied potential for massive disruptions whether intentional or accidental. However if you are needed enough and trusted, they'll make exceptions.

Yeah, and that has happened to me in the past (being let go once I put in my 2 weeks). The difference here is I currently work for one of the Big 3 banks, and I am on good terms with my employer, so I wasn’t sure if perhaps they are different from smaller employers.

I'll add the type of career and demand for workers adds into it.

In my field of IT, folks will be immediately blocked from access due to the implied potential for massive disruptions whether intentional or accidental. However if you are needed enough and trusted, they'll make exceptions.
Understood. I am actually moving from credit writing/relationship management to asset management, so the two don’t intertwine in terms of duties or clients. But thanks for that info.

Understood. I am actually moving from credit writing/relationship management to asset management, so the two don’t intertwine in terms of duties or clients. But thanks for that info.
I can't say what that would mean in terms of threat etc. I generally try to do it right. Even if you never go back, you might want them as a reference and if you leave on bad terms you just might be a no to the question of would you rehire em.

I would maximize my time off. YOLO

Take a nice relaxing (extended) vacation. That kinda stuff is always a WIN.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom