Talib, Manningham Tested Positive for Marijuana Multiple Times in College (1 Viewer)

Could someone pleae give me a reason, morally, why this is still a concern.

Forget the law, lets talk morals.

What is morally wrong with a pot user.

Every 8 seconds someone dies form a tobacco related illness world wide.

Drunk Drivers kill innocent people daily.

Presciptions are abused to the fullest extent.

I need a good explanation, as to what is the moral standing behind pot laws.

Again, why are these kids considered to have character concerns,
when coaches players and pioliticians, get caught drunk behind the wheel, soliciting, prostitues and any other outrageous actions.

But a kid does pot, and it cost him millions of dollars.

Note: Please avoid the obvious: "It's illegal so you shouldnt do it."

Think more along the lines of, "Why is it illegal."

Imagine if your character was judged upon whether or not you've ever drank a beer or smoked a cigarrette.

I'm with you on all that, but the "Man" says it illegal (cant tax it, cant control it) so you will go to jail (depending on how much your caught with) if its found on you and if I was a GM or Owner I wouldnt invest that kinda money in a guy who because of his Marijuana use is in and out of jail and failing NFL Drug Test...even if I myself the Owner were a weed smoker.

when coaches players and pioliticians, get caught drunk behind the wheel, soliciting, prostitues and any other outrageous actions.

Imagine if your character was judged upon whether or not you've ever drank a beer or smoked a cigarrette.

Because people can grow it themselves, the drug companies spend millions, things of this nature.

Because it is illegal, and owners don't want to risk all that first round money on a person who has shown questionable decisionmaking, plus face all the bad publicity from it. Saying that, I don't think fans care about what a player does off the field nearly as much as they used to. I mean, San Francisco fans were the only people who showed love and support for Barry Bonds over the past few years.

I understand that, I just think its the most hypocritical of all laws and judemnets.

For example:

I could be smoke a pack of cig's a day, and be a raging alcholic. But if I could fill out an application and have a good interview, I'd be deemed tailor made for a job.

I could be the smartest man alive, and be deemed unsuiatable for failing a urine test.

Yet cigs are poisonous, and every day innocent lives are at risk due to drunk drivers.

I mean I know this topic is rather plolitical as opposed to sports related, it just kills me at the mindstates of some who think they've figured a kid out because they've done pot.

Hey: Preist malest kids.
Pastors have baby mommas
And Presidents get bj's.

As said earlier, "Cast the first stone."

to get caught multiple times is mentally challenged. i was really starting to get high on this guy too. no pun intended. but there are entirely too many corners this year for this guy to go in the first.

I implied that the poster was saying don't say "it's illegal so don't do it," he was speaking of a moral issue. I was talking about the business side of things.

Outside of exposing minors to it, NOTHING. In fact in cases of extremely violent offenders and types with a propensity of violence an argeument could be made that is is therapeutic. In fact, a Harvard review by top PHD's in psycology and addiction found it could be therapeuitic for the average guy toughing out the stress of life in general.

I don't buy the arguement of would you want your doctor stoned during surgery or your pilot,bus driver,school teacher or whomever else you could point to in a position of public trust/safety stoned while doing their job? Treat it like booze! I wouldn't want them drunk either. In fact, if I HAD to choose between someone like that being stoned or drunk I'd probably take the former rather than the latter.

Another thing... there wouldn't be much crime involved with Pot if not for its illegal status. The prison time and risk involved to bring it to market is what drives the danger and the money. If anyone that wanted to grow it responsibly were allowed to do so it would be cheap as dirt. We wouldn't see state governments going broke trying to house pot smokers.

As far the gateway drug thing: Booze and cigarettes are just as culpable to moving up to harder stuff. The arguement that keeping it illegal stops that, to me, makes no sense. How much success has that program met with? Not much if any at all. To me, much like prohibition, keeping it illegal actually creates more crime and harm than treating it like booze with one great exception. You can't grow booze in you window.

Didn't seem to hurt Calvin Johnson, Gaines Adams or Amobi Okoye. :rasta:

I understand that, I just think its the most hypocritical of all laws and judemnets.

For example:

I could be smoke a pack of cig's a day, and be a raging alcholic. But if I could fill out an application and have a good interview, I'd be deemed tailor made for a job.

I could be the smartest man alive, and be deemed unsuiatable for failing a urine test.

Yet cigs are poisonous, and every day innocent lives are at risk due to drunk drivers.

I mean I know this topic is rather plolitical as opposed to sports related, it just kills me at the mindstates of some who think they've figured a kid out because they've done pot.

Pastors have baby mommas
And Presidents get bj's.

As said earlier, "Cast the first stone."

I hear you. I believe most people would say alcohol and cigarettes are more deadly than marijuana. Now the law is a different debate entirely.

I love when Bill Maher was discussing this on his show and said, "If ketchup had 1/10th of the carcinogens that were in one cigarette, it would be off the shelf in a heartbeat."

Talib in the 2nd! Yeah, I said it.

May he who has never lied about smoking pot while they were young cast the first stone.

:spanka: Closest smilie I can find to it. I never smoked a "j" in my life and I never will. And for those who might be quick to jump at me, I am a cured alcoholic. Not recovering, cured. Even so, alcohol messed with me and I paid for my addiction to it. That's what happens.

There are consequences to our actions. All people need to be taught this and remember it always. Now, Manningham and Talib may be over this (if so, good for them and I hope they have great careers), but have you forgotten Ricky Williams already (not to mention George Rogers, Chuck Muncie, and Reggie Sutton who had even worse drug problems)? Potheads generally are trouble in the locker room and, if not right away, eventually on the field as well.

Pastors have baby mommas
And Presidents get bj's.
And the said priests and pastors should be arrested. And that president should have been impeached. Had he worked for any corporation in America, he'd have been fired without severance on the spot. It may be a "passe" saying, but it's still true: "Two wrongs don't make a right." Just because someone gets away with something doesn't mean he should have gotten away with it, nor that he won't end up paying for it in the long run.

Last edited:
"Why is it illegal."
Why is Marijuana Illegal?

I do not want Talib because he is a prima-donna type player that thinks he is better than everyone else, when he is not. As for Manningham, I do not think we need to waste a high pick on a WR until we see what we have in Meachem. And if we do waste a high pick on WR, I would hope it is one with far fewer injury concerns than Manningham.

:spanka: Closest smilie I can find to it. I never smoked a "j" in my life and I never will. And for those who might be quick to jump at me, I am a cured alcoholic. Not recovering, cured. Even so, alcohol messed with me and I paid for my addiction to it. That's what happens.

There are consequences to our actions. All people need to be taught this and remember it always. Now, Manningham and Talib may be over this (if so, good for them and I hope they have great careers), but have you forgotten Ricky Williams already (not to mention George Rogers, Chuck Muncie, and Reggie Sutton who had even worse drug problems)? Potheads generally are trouble in the locker room and, if not right away, eventually on the field as well.

Congratulations. Alchohol is as tough as nails to beat. Cigarettes are as tough as heroin to beat. I'm not being sarcastic either. More power to you. But I do disagree with the locker room part. Many times these guys have no outward display or any problems whatsoever. If not for an unconstitutional search (IMO) and another uncostitutional compelling of one to incriminate his or herself there would be no knowledge of it whatsoever.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom