Tampa trip (1 Viewer)

Who Dat Chris

Practice Squad
Reaction score
any who dat`s out there can recommend places to eat, drink and visit while we are there? arriving Thursday and leaving Monday. thanks!!

Here ya go!

any who dat`s out there can recommend places to eat, drink and visit while we are there? arriving Thursday and leaving Monday. thanks!!

Hey bud- Been to Tampa about 3x in the last 3 years, which is a lot, considering I've been living in NYC and PDX. Here's what I suggest:

Datz Deli - www.datztampa.com
Solid breakfast/brunch options. I recommend everything.

Bern's Steakhouse - www.bernssteakhouse.com
For some of the best steak and wine you've eaten in the USA.

Carne Chop House - carnechophouse.com
Also great steak IMHO, and it's located in Ybor City, with access to plenty of bars, cigars and clubs!

Bern's Steakhouse: If you are looking for a food experience, Bern's is probably the best choice. Expensive, but completely worth it. They have the largest non-private wine collection in the world, so if you like wine they have everything you could want. Ask for the tour and don't skip the dessert room. Get a reservation, and plan early.

Datz: Tries a bit too hard to be a hip foodie location, but it does have a good take on a lot of classic meals. I'd avoid the mac and cheese stuffed meatloaf. It's highly disappointing compared to the rest of the menu. It's not bad, but it doesn't meet the expectation of what should be an epic combination.

Edison's Food and Drink Lab: The less tryhard version of Datz. Great food combinations, and interesting drink selections. The food selection is a bit more adventurous than Datz so picky eaters may be put off.

Bavaro's Pizza Napoletana: True Italian style pizza. The owner learned about making pizza in Naples, then had a brick oven imported from Naples. Those expecting an American/New York style pizza will be disappointed, but the pizza is exactly like I remember from my travels in Europe.

Queen of Sheba: Ethiopean style food. A fun group experience, as everything is served on one huge plate of bread and everyone digs into whatever they wish. It's served with napkin like rolls of a thin sponge bread that you use to pick the food up with. You can ask for utensils, but why skimp on the experience? The meats and vegetables are highly seasoned and really tasty.

Pane Rustica: A European bakery that is a casual sandwich shop during the day and a more formal dining experience at night. I prefer the daytime sandwich shop, and they have a large selection of baked breads and desserts to choose from.

That's what I can recommend off the top of my head. If you have a specific food style I haven't mentioned ask and I'll give a recommendation for it. I haven't posted anything in the Ybor area (where the bar hopping happens) as I've sort of aged out of that scene and am not too familiar with the business in that area anymore.

I was there last year for the Saints game...Last year the Bucs stayed at the Renaissance at the Tampa International Mall the night before the game...there is a a cool outside restaurant area the there with 5/6 open air restaurants...I coulda sworn when we were walking through there was a table of Saints players on Saturday night at one of the restaurants. Don't quote me on it, but def looked like NFL players and I know they weren't any Bucs. Very cool mall to check out, and it's close to the airport & stadium. The Restaurants aren't in the mall...there outside next to the Renaissance Hotel.

I was there last year for the Saints game...Last year the Bucs stayed at the Renaissance at the Tampa International Mall the night before the game...there is a a cool outside restaurant area the there with 5/6 open air restaurants...I coulda sworn when we were walking through there was a table of Saints players on Saturday night at one of the restaurants. Don't quote me on it, but def looked like NFL players and I know they weren't any Bucs. Very cool mall to check out, and it's close to the airport & stadium. The Restaurants aren't in the mall...there outside next to the Renaissance Hotel.

The International Mall area is OK as far as restaurants go. Plenty of options, and the mall has a good mix of normal and high-end stores. The restaurants are all of the chain variety, but one could do worse. Right across the street are more high-end restaurants, again mostly chains, but good stuff. I'm a fan of Texas de Brazil because who doesn't love all you can eat BBQ'd meat? One of the times I was there the Bucs offensive line was sitting together testing the limit of the all you can eat policy.

If anyone is staying in the St. Pete Beach or Treasure Island area, I spent a couple weeks there this year and found some nice places to eat.

And of course, there's always Mons Venus.....

Jus' sayin'.........

d47cWZX.jpg

Charlie's for a steak , it's pretty close to the stadium/mall area . Definitely the Dali museum if you have time .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom