Tap water vs bottled filtered water (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In the coffee thread, we were talking about what water we use to make coffee with and I stated bottled water. Apparently, more than a few people have issues with their tap water. This got me thinking. I remember when I was a kid drinking tap water frequently and rarely drank bottled water.

These days we only drink bottled water because the tap water is straight nasty. Whenever I go to visit friends' homes in recent years, nearly always get served bottled or filtered water. Some people use the 5 gallon dispensers, which I've thought about doing. I've seen some fancy filtration equipment under sinks too. This has me wondering what everyone's water solutions are.

In the coffee thread, we were talking about what water we use to make coffee with and I stated bottled water. Apparently, more than a few people have issues with their tap water. This got me thinking. I remember when I was a kid drinking tap water frequently and rarely drank bottled water.

These days we only drink bottled water because the tap water is straight nasty. Whenever I go to visit friends' homes in recent years, nearly always get served bottled or filtered water. Some people use the 5 gallon dispensers, which I've thought about doing. I've seen some fancy filtration equipment under sinks too. This has me wondering what everyone's water solutions are.
i have a small kitchen and replaced this large double fridge with a single. i bought the cheapest because i only really use it for condiments, milk, cheese, and ice cream.

used the old ice water connection to make my own filtered water contraption.

i have a small kitchen and replaced this large double fridge with a single. i bought the cheapest because i only really use it for condiments, milk, cheese, and ice cream.

By filtered water contraption, you mean duct taping the connection to a Brita filter? :hihi:

i'll probably die of some kind of fungus or something, but 3 years and going strong

IMG_20200507_200350.jpg

IMG_20200507_200333.jpg

I seem to remember a thread from a long, long time ago on here about this very same subject. I don't think it reached Dinosaur thread page levels, but it was entertaining.

I must have missed that, or I forgot about it entirely, which is just as likely these days. :covri:

I have a three stage water filter under the kitchen sink. There's a lot of chlorine in the water and, in the summer, the pipes will get a sludge buildup.

I have a three stage water filter under the kitchen sink. There's a lot of chlorine in the water and, in the summer, the pipes will get a sludge buildup.

How often do you change the filter? How is it price wise? I'm thinking about economics a bit and we're looking at moving to a house at some point and would do something similar if it made financial sense.

I'm about the only one in the house that drinks our tap water. We're on a well but it's really good well water. No off taste at all to me. It's just wet. I like it because it you let the faucet run a few minutes you get nice cold water. We have water on the fridge which I'll drink too but it's about the same thing just ran through a filter. I can't tell the difference taste wise. My wife however.....refuses to drink our water.

I'm about the only one in the house that drinks our tap water. We're on a well but it's really good well water. No off taste at all to me. It's just wet. I like it because it you let the faucet run a few minutes you get nice cold water. We have water on the fridge which I'll drink too but it's about the same thing just ran through a filter. I can't tell the difference taste wise. My wife however.....refuses to drink our water.
to be honest, i don't really need filtered (i do anyway). baton rouge has excellent tap water.

Water bottles are polluting the earth, it really is best to stay away from it as much as possible. Still guilty on occasion to have bottled water. Filtered is better if you have the right system, but I prefer distilled water from the Water Wise system. It is the closest thing to clean rain water.

Last edited:
Our fridge has a cartridge type filter system built into it for the ice maker and water dispenser. Can certainly tell the difference as the tap water here is very "metallic". I really should run a water softener. Fridge has a sensor that shows when the filter needs to be changed.

I bought my mom one of those Pur dispensers (she has an older fridge w no hookups) and it works pretty well, also. It holds about 1.5 gallons and has replaceable filter cartridges that last 2-3 months, depending on usage. Just sits on a shelf in her fridge and has a spigot on the front to dispense. Only drawback is that she has to take it out of the fridge to fill it and then lift it back in. They make them in a pitcher size as well.

How often do you change the filter? How is it price wise? I'm thinking about economics a bit and we're looking at moving to a house at some point and would do something similar if it made financial sense.
i change mine once a year. i think it is supposed to be 3 or 6, but at $25-30 a replacement, fork that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom