TATF: Michael Thomas (1 Viewer)

Cushion refers to the distance in yards between the receiver and the defender before the play starts. Tyreek Hill is unsurprisingly given the most cushion because defenders have to worry about his lightning speed. This makes it easier for Hill, though. While he’ll have a harder time getting behind the defense on a go-route, he’s able to easily get open on other routes because of the space he’s given.

Separation refers to the distance in yards between the receiver and the nearest defender at the time of the completion or incompletion. A receiver with less separation is likely to be a lesser route runner. Mike Evans is an elite receiver, but his ability to get open isn’t special. He’s given 5.7 yards of cushion yet his average separation is by far the least on the list.

However, out of the NFL’s six top receivers this year, Michael Thomas, is given the least cushion before the play. Nevertheless, he’s able to gain more separation than receivers like Julio Jones, who is given 1.1 more yards of cushion.

Average CushionAverage SeparationCatch Percentage
Julio Jones5.72.566.5%
DeAndre Hopkins4.92.570.6%
Mike Evans5.72.161.9%
Tyreek Hill5.93.163.5%
JuJu Smith-Schuster5.33.066.7%
Michael Thomas4.62.785.0%

Man... come on over to the black and gold. You are by far the most intelligent F's fan I've ever seen post on this board. And trust me, once you cross over... it'snot hard to hate the falcons. I mean, I actually have all kinds of love for Julio... and having that and hating on the F's? eazy peazy.

Correct me if I’m off base here. Unlike years past where Brees made receivers better than they otherwise would have been, that’s not the case with MT. IMO Thomas helps Brees every bit as much, if not more, than vice versa.

Considering MT had nearly 100 more receptions than the #2 receiver is a telling statistic
Lol, Thomas is what makes Brees play for another 3 years!

I just went and read that thread from where the link in the OP sent me and I've gotta say, most of them are giving those morons on the huddle or whatever Carolina's stupid board is called a run for their money.

I am the Moron de Jour over there atm.
What's weird is that nobody on this forum has ever denied Julio's abilities or the fact that he's a top 5 receiver. Not sure what's so difficult to admit about other teams, even division rivals, having great players too.

What's weird is that nobody on this forum has ever denied Julio's abilities or the fact that he's a top 5 receiver. Not sure what's so difficult to admit about other teams, even division rivals, having great players too.

I don’t understand it either. But I’m done trying to present the facts. They are starting to grab the pitchforks and call me out for this thread.

I don’t particularly give af at the moment.

Look at this graph from 2017 on MT. It’s why Cooks was expendable. Thomas could get separation on every route in the tree.

John Sigler (@john_siglerr) Tweeted:
Continuing to work with #ReceptionPerception data. One of these #Saints WR is unlike the others, and helps explain what made him expendable https://t.co/8CJmzFLtzZ

YoLover and FatBoi are idiots. Sanu a #1 receiver? GTFOH. Thomas not elite?

"Cain't bee eleet unlessu run a lawt of fly routs."

TheFatboi knows his football

YoLover is still a virgin so you’ll have to excuse his simple takes

Last edited:
Welp, I tried.

Literally there isn’t a single metric or stat that doesn’t point to MT being an elite receiver in the NFL.

YPG: top 5

YAC: top 5

Yards After Contact: top 5

Receptions: 1st

Catch Rate: 1st All Time

Yards: Top 5

Yards Per Route: top 5

Yards Per Route - Slot: 1st

Yards Per Target: top 5

Playoff YPG: 105 ypg

RACR: 2nd All Time

The arguments against him are absolutely ridiculous. But sure, lets call him a bum....sounds like when Saints fans say Ryan is overrated because he has Julio

Yea for sure

MT deserves the BRINX truck that's headed his way.

Also I think Matt Ryan is properly rated.

Not average but not elite either. I would say above average starter

This is not a shot at him either. I just feel like that's the general consensus on Matt Ryan

Yea for sure

MT deserves the BRINX truck that's headed his way.

Also I think Matt Ryan is properly rated.

Not average but not elite either. I would say above average starter

This is not a shot at him either. I just feel like that's the general consensus on Matt Ryan

Properly rated as a top-5 QB and likely HOF inductee if his level of play sustains for another 5 years. That will put him 5th All Time in yards. We are lucky to have him

If noodle arm finishes top5 the list should

Brees
Brady
Manning
Favre
Falcons receivers featuring Matt Ryan

His hall of fame bust should have a few random heads with year inducted _ and a s noodle holding a football

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom