Tavon Austin 4.25... (1 Viewer)

I was thinking DeSean Jackson, but I just googled him Nd found that he's 5'10".

There are guys out there that are 5'9. Welker and Moore are not very good examples of speedsters, both run great routes and have great hands.

DeSean Jackson is a great example even if he is 5'10. Even if you use him as your example, would you give up a #1 pick if he was sitting at #15?

There are guys out there that are 5'9. Welker and Moore are not very good examples of speedsters, both run great routes and have great hands.

DeSean Jackson is a great example even if he is 5'10. Even if you use him as your example, would you give up a #1 pick if he was sitting at #15?

No. I'd put him somewhere in the early-mid 2nd round. But I'm no draft expert.

I agree, I'd also put him in the mid 2nd round. Wouldn't be the worst 1st round pick but you wouldn't be excited about it either.

I'd give a top 10 pick for Steve Smith if he was in the draft and not look back but he has a physical attitude that makes most 6'4" receivers look timid and that isn't Austin.

So if we wouldn't give up a 1st round pick for the best player out of dozens with his size/speed then why give up a 1st for Austin.

Another poster mentioned Brees, Sproles and Wilson. They are the exception out of hundreds of similar sized players. Austin may be that exception but I wouldn't gamble a first round pick on those odds.

At worst he is a great return man and an occasional deep threat.

I agree, I'd also put him in the mid 2nd round. Wouldn't be the worst 1st round pick but you wouldn't be excited about it either.

I'd give a top 10 pick for Steve Smith if he was in the draft and not look back but he has a physical attitude that makes most 6'4" receivers look timid and that isn't Austin.

So if we wouldn't give up a 1st round pick for the best player out of dozens with his size/speed then why give up a 1st for Austin.

Another poster mentioned Brees, Sproles and Wilson. They are the exception out of hundreds of similar sized players. Austin may be that exception but I wouldn't gamble a first round pick on those odds.

At worst he is a great return man and an occasional deep threat.

Agreed. He is a satellite guy and a player who will bring instant offense to a team if used correctly. But you cannot take that chance on him in the middle of the first round. Late first round, maybe. But I think his size would caution me against taking him that high. We saw it with Jackson, Harvin, others.

not to thread jack but what is the song at the start of these highlights? Not the rap version but the original (I think it is an instrumental or very few lyrics)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q_Iab2H4WD8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm having a really hard time remembering any 5'8-5'9" speedster WRs doing well in recent NFL history. Steve Smith is 5'9 and a 4.4 guy but he also is extremely physical.

When I think of 5'8 speedsters I think of guys like Sinorice Moss.

That alone scares me. I do think Austin can be a beast in the NFL both returning kicks and as a WR but if he was 2" taller he'd be a top 10 pick.

you dont think Austin can be physical?

Why not go with a Goodwin and minimize the risk?

Because he's a track guy, not a football player. He has straight-line speed, but he does not have the fluidity and body control you see in Austin. Austin does it in shorts and in pads.

The other thing is, Austin is very impressive as a young man. I just watched his interview with Lindsay Soto. He has good character, composure, and confidence. He answered his questions well, showed humility, and just oozes the sort of work ethic that translates into success. He's a smart guy and I wish there was some way for us to get him.

Man i would love Austin. Sean would have fun with that kid.

I also like Robert Woods. Just a smooth guy.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Man i would love Austin. Sean would have fun with that kid.

I also like Robert Woods. Just a smooth guy.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I know, I feel the same way. I also liked Woods' performance today. He was better than I expected, looks fully healed from his ankle injury, and probably earned himself some money today.

The OU game is what put Tavon Austin on the map he was going up and down the field running all over OU's defense ironically they still lost the game it was a fantastic game all the way to the last second. If anyone hasn't watched it you should.

OU vs West Virginia 2012 - YouTube

21 rushes for 344 yds vs Oklahoma.

he can be physical. Coached properly and if he has the proper attitude, there is no doubt in my mind he can be a clone of Steve Smith.

A back breaker.

In this offense Austin would be a monster.

For that matter so would DeSean Jackson and Percy Harvin.

These guys are what the league is going to look like with the way the rules are becoming, and it won't be the first time shorter fast guys were in vogue, but this time they will be around longer with the pistol offense that will undoubtedly be copied plus rules helping defenseless receivers, more sure to come.

I wouldn't go top 15 for us only because our other needs are much greater but the first round is possible especially when you get to the playoff teams with fewer holes to fill drafting late. New England might have to let Welker walk, whose to say they wouldn't pull the trigger on a guy like that?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom