Tavon austin/denard robinson (1 Viewer)

mountaineerdude

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Sproles has 2 years left on his contract and I dont see him getting an extention after that. How do you guys like these two being the possible longtime replacements to play that 3rd down decoy/x-factor kinda role in our offense?

Well, I've been saying since January I think Austin would be a great choice to groom as Sproles replacement. He can do a lot of the same things Sproles can do though I am sure he will have to be taught to pass block. The problem, however, is that Roger took our second round pick from us. Unless he suddenly goes to see the Wizard to get heart, we are not going to be in the position to get Austin without that second rounder.

Sproles has 2 years left on his contract and I dont see him getting an extention after that. How do you guys like these two being the possible longtime replacements to play that 3rd down decoy/x-factor kinda role in our offense?

Tough to carry a backup to Sproles. Last time we had a "backup" for that role was Aaron Stecker. Since then we've preferred to carry another big 2-down back. That's where your injuries generally show. Pierre Thomas can fill a lot of the same roles as Sproles in the case of injury.

Tough to carry a backup to Sproles. Last time we had a "backup" for that role was Aaron Stecker. Since then we've preferred to carry another big 2-down back. That's where your injuries generally show. Pierre Thomas can fill a lot of the same roles as Sproles in the case of injury.

We are sort of carrying a backup to Sproles right now--Travares Cadet. The other thing is, Austin plays the WR position so it is not like he does not offer value at another position while he is being groomed as our do-it-all offensive guy to replace Sproles.

We are sort of carrying a backup to Sproles right now--Travares Cadet. The other thing is, Austin plays the WR position so it is not like he does not offer value at another position while he is being groomed as our do-it-all offensive guy to replace Sproles.

On the other hand, Cadet can do that also.

Yeah but we were able to carry Cadet largely on the practice squad. Which was key.

I think the problem with carrying him as the 6th WR is he's probably too short to be the gunner.

On the other hand, Cadet can do that also.

Very true, which is why I brought him up. Thing is, Cadet is not as talented as Austin. When Sproles went down, Cadet was not able to provide the offense with the pop that Sproles does. I remember a pick Brees threw and it was just about expecting Cadet to be in a spot that Sproles would have been in and he wasn't.

Yeah but we were able to carry Cadet largely on the practice squad. Which was key.

I think the problem with carrying him as the 6th WR is he's probably too short to be the gunner.

Cadet was active in 13 games, but I see your point. Cadet is a guy who can be hidden on a practice squad whereas Austin cannot.

I also see your argument on Austin in terms of not being a gunner. This is when you need a Michael Lewis around to teach a guy like Austin how to play the role of gunner. In terms of the depth chart at WR, we can assume that Colston and Moore are your top two WRs. Then you have Morgan and you expect Nick Toon to be a contributor. After that, you would have Austin though his versatility will get him on the field in a variety of ways. And there is always Roby, who is certainly your gunner. I do not think Henderson will be back. The challenge will be for the Saints to find someone who can fill his role. Maybe it is Morgan, though I see him more as Meachem's replacement. At some point, we will have to add a WR whether it is Austin or not. Guys like Quinton Patton and Markus Wheaton also make sense.

Ok considering Sproles was one of the best backs I have ever seen in college makes Austin nothing like him. Because he is little and fast does not give any similarity that is just crazy. Austin is a pure slot reciever in a Percy Harvin mold and no where near Sproles.

Austin is probably a 2nd rounder and we don't have a 2nd round pick.

Ok considering Sproles was one of the best backs I have ever seen in college makes Austin nothing like him. Because he is little and fast does not give any similarity that is just crazy. Austin is a pure slot reciever in a Percy Harvin mold and no where near Sproles.

Austin was a RB when he arrived to West Virginia, and has shown the ability to run the ball really well when he is giving those opportunities. He's not going to come in here and carry the ball 15 times a game, just as Sproles does not. In 13 games, Sproles carried the ball 48 times. That's less than 4 carries a game. Austin is a guy who can handle that load.

Now, maybe you do not know much about Austin and see him "only" as a WR. But the bottom line is he does much more than that; he's a consummate satellite player just like Sproles, just like Bush. Put on his tape against Oklahoma when he played exclusively as a runner and tell me he could not handle three carries a game.

C'mon man!:jpshakehead:

Austin was a RB when he arrived to West Virginia, and has shown the ability to run the ball really well when he is giving those opportunities. He's not going to come in here and carry the ball 15 times a game, just as Sproles does not. In 13 games, Sproles carried the ball 48 times. That's less than 4 carries a game. Austin is a guy who can handle that load.

Now, maybe you do not know much about Austin and see him "only" as a WR. But the bottom line is he does much more than that; he's a consummate satellite player just like Sproles, just like Bush. Put on his tape against Oklahoma when he played exclusively as a runner and tell me he could not handle three carries a game.

C'mon man!:jpshakehead:

Ok he came as a rb? Why didn't he stay a rb? Sproles absolutely dominated in college at rb. No comparison at all!! You actually have to do more than be able to run with a ball and be fast in the NFL. Mark my words he will never be in a position like Sproles. Ever! Not arguing about something this stupid.

Ok he came as a rb? Why didn't he stay a rb? Sproles absolutely dominated in college at rb. No comparison at all!! You actually have to do more than be able to run with a ball and be fast in the NFL. Mark my words he will never be in a position like Sproles. Ever! Not arguing about something this stupid.

:worthy::worthy::worthy: Wait, my bad! I did not know that I was arguing with God since you seem to know everything, including the future! My apologies, Lord. Please do not hold this against me on Judgment Day!:9:

Austin is probably a 2nd rounder and we don't have a 2nd round pick.

This is what we need to focus on.. The reality is with so many limited draft picks this year and our defensive switch we might take 1 offensive player and all our other picks will be defensive. Expect any offensive guys to come from fa..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom