Taylor Swift speech after being named "woman of the decade" by Billboard, accuses Soros of "Toxic Male Priviledge" (1 Viewer)

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
In the speech, Taylor complains that women have to overcome so much more than men in the music industry. That they have critics that discuss quality of voice, who she is dating, whether she is writing her songs and even critics that discuss her music. She later goes on to discuss how women have dominated the music industry the last decade and attributes that dominance to women working so much harder to get there.

This all leads up to the point where she calls out a team of investors that purchased the rights to her first 6 albums and everything that surrounds them. This wasn't just Swift's songs but a rather large collection of music from numerous artists. She calls out George Soros and the investors as having "toxic male priviledge" because they bought the collections of several female artists. Taylor has been outspoken about it, has refused to quit performing the songs that she doesn't own the copyright to and her fans have responded with mass death threats to Soros, his family and those of the investors. Despite this, Taylor continues to be outspoken.

I'm not a musician but as someone that is a content creator we have the same basic rights and ways to earn a living. I'm approached at least a dozen times a year by people wanting to either buy my video library or sign me to an exclusive contract. These offerings look like a big chunk of money, sometimes they offer me what it takes me a couple years to make. It's very tempting but at the end of the day I know they are offering this because it's an investment and they plan to make more money off the residual sales than what I'm being paid. They are also taking a risk because they may not make more money off of those sales. On the flip side, I have the right to choose whether I want to take the lump some or hold on to my work. I may make more, I may make less. Unfortunately for me, this isn't even 1% of the scale on the Taylor Swift Financial outcome. I've never sold a single piece of video for exclusive rights. I've turned down huge sums to hold my copyright and will continue to do so unless some absurd number comes along.

The dream for musicians for the longest time was to get signed by a record label. It was that moment where a struggling band or musician would be infused with money, better equipment, better managers, better support on and behind the scenes. The amount of marketing that went into a musicians work after being signed was thousand fold and then you hit the jackpot with the best recording studios and producers. You had groups of highly talented professionals to guide you through each note, each lyric to try and make albums explode. The big thing though, was getting that music into the hands of radio stations and music television stations. When Taylor was first signed at 16 and went from young girl who could sing to really wealthy international superstar there were no complaints from her. She was very happy to sign the contract and make all the money. 15 years later when she is one of the wealthiest women on the planet it's suddenly a problem that she signed the contract that put her in the position she is in today and now wants the rights to her music back. I understand that she wanted the right to buy her music back and she wasn't given that opportunity. I also understand that if a record label is for sale that it becomes much harder to sell if you start removing rights to a huge portion of the labels earnings. At no point did Taylor try to buy the whole label. In other words, take someone like Taylor's music out of the transaction it kills the whole deal.

So is Taylor using women's right movement to try and obtain financial gain? Treating music like a commodity dates back centuries and has impacted both men and women for a very long time. So is George Soros and the investors buying the music using Toxic Male Priviledge because this transaction includes a few women or is Taylor using the movement for financial gain?

I personally didn't care for Taylor claiming that music critics are a women only problem. Try telling Nickelback, every boy band ever, Justin Bieber, Vanilla Ice and so many others that music critics are a female only problem.

Anyway, thought this would make an interesting debate. Here is the speech.

I don't even know where to start with all that.

The amazing thing is George Soros is the boogie man for everyone. He funds people walking from South America, trying to steal from poor Taylor. You name it he is the boogie man! Just amazing the tin foil hat suff about him.

I have never been a fan of hers but the huge amount invested in her from day one is staggering. It is all a risk they took it.

One screw up and everything you invested could be gone. One bad incident one wrong stance. Just ask if the Dixie chicks stuff is worth anything now? That is the gamble.

I understand she is making a point yet she could now take the capital she has and invest in others giving out way better contracts than the industry standards.

It is one thing to voice your concerns it is another to put your money on the line.

Is she or is she cashing checks and crying? I don't know I don't follow her in the least.

Didn’t her dad buy her way into a music career?

She is annoying, she can’t sing and her music is dumb.

Yep her daddy owns swift trucking. Then merged with Knight trucking.

So yes Taylor's daddy owns the largest trucking company in the country. Like 23k trucks!

The unfortunate thing about all of this is that we will lose/ignore a substantive discussion bc the story will be 90% about Taylor Swift and 9% George Soros
It has to be a Taylor Swift type, bc all but the top 5 female artists can too easily be ignored

What the article describes is the same thing that Walmart does to local commerce
While there may be a brutal efficiency that helps some financially, the long term effect is a drastic diminishment of quality and ‘native’ culture

In the ultra world of irony, one of these teenage girls is complaining about privilege, one is a billionaire global star and the other is just in this picture because we all know she didn't have a chance regardless of talent level.
1576347111987.png1576347437478.png

The unfortunate thing about all of this is that we will lose/ignore a substantive discussion bc the story will be 90% about Taylor Swift and 9% George Soros
It has to be a Taylor Swift type, bc all but the top 5 female artists can too easily be ignored

What the article describes is the same thing that Walmart does to local commerce
While there may be a brutal efficiency that helps some financially, the long term effect is a drastic diminishment of quality and ‘native’ culture
I absolutely agree but it's the decision of the person making the music. It's a fork in the road, one is the easy way, the other you own all your content and fight an uphill battle that may never be won.

If someone came to me today and offered me a lucrative 7-8 figure contract for my content then they would own it. I don't think I could recoup that amount of money in my lifetime. With that said, it would have to be an overwhelming amount for me to consider it. I also know I can't complain if that company then is sold to another bigger company. It's quite simple, I sold the rights and can't use it anymore. To complain about it a decade later and try to justify my complains by using a rights movement would be career suicide but in this case, it's actually working for Swift.

Yep her daddy owns swift trucking. Then merged with Knight trucking.

So yes Taylor's daddy owns the largest trucking company in the country. Like 23k trucks!

Her dad is (or was) a broker for Merill Lynch. Still obviously well off enough to buy her career, though.

Well this will be fun. My Dad can’t stand her or George Soros. Going to present this to him and see what type of quandary that puts him in. ?

He loathes Soros more I believe. All he has against her is that he thinks she’s a pop celebrity with no talent and we all know her family as they’re from Hendersonville (I went to high school there) and her family is not nice. They were wealthy before she made it big. Didn’t treat people well. But hell that area is full of people like that, famous musicians who aren’t nice.

Yep.
And he is not at all a nice human being. And that is firsthand.

However I’d be remiss if I didn’t admit that I actually think her songs are catchy as heck. Not sure if she aerials writes them tho, lyrically or musically.

Nothing new under the sun.

Rich heirs complaining about money when they have no concept of it.
Louis XVI, anyone?

Women work harder than men in the music industry.
[FLASHBACK - 1920s] In a national radio interview, world renowned baritone Lawrence Tibbett was asked who the best musicians are. Without a second's hesitation, he answered, "Sopranos...because they have to be. No one else has that kind of competition to overcome."

Also, Taylor Swift. Shut up. You only have a career because your family bought you into it. Such things need to be said by someone who actually had to make their own way for their success.

How about we discuss toxic rich kid privilege?

I’ll stand up a bit for Taylor. Her publishing deal screwed her over big time. She’s a talent and she should have control of her content - it continues to be a problem in the music biz that upcoming artists get screwed. But at the same time, the label takes a substantial risk on the new artist - and if the new artist is that confident, do your own deal or hold out for the right deal.

I don’t think she sucks - I think she’s got a lot going on. But you sign the deal you sign.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom