Taysom (contract) (1 Viewer)

dutar76

7th year itch
Reaction score
I'm not a Taysom hater by any stretch of the imagination. I love that he's a Saint, I love what he brings to the team, and I love that we were able to keep him in New Orleans this past offseason. But I have a serious question. (This has nothing at all to do with the fumble.)

It's a long season and it's a small sample size, but through 3 games Taysom has:

Run 7 times for 27 yards
Caught 2 passes for 15 yards
Thrown 1 pass for 38 yards
Made zero TDs

I know he plays special teams, blocks, and makes defenses pay attention when he's on the field. But is
that enough to justify 2 years 21 million? Even counting him as a 2nd string QB, (if he actually is or not is highly debatable),
top tier back ups make 6 or 7 million per year max... and those that make that much are extremely rare. I'm curious how
folks feel about us dedicating that much cap to a special teams player who averages around 3 touches per game.

Like I said, not hating on Taysom at all. I'm really glad we have him. Just pondering whether or not that contract was a
huge overpay or not. I kinda think it is. BUT, I do still hope that he becomes a much larger part of our offense.

His salary isn’t a problem. How we utilize him is. People wanted to crap on Hill’s not throwing on that one play (and instead rushing it for 7 yards), but he didn’t throw deep just like Brees didn’t want to throw deep. There is an extreme lack of confidence in our wrs.

As to Hill, we need to change up his looks. Everyone knows exactly what play we are going to run by where he lines up on the field. It’s extremely predictable, and very unimaginative from one of the games most imaginative play callers.

I'm not a Taysom hater by any stretch of the imagination. I love that he's a Saint, I love what he brings to the team, and I love that we were able to keep him in New Orleans this past offseason. But I have a serious question. (This has nothing at all to do with the fumble.)

It's a long season and it's a small sample size, but through 3 games Taysom has:

Run 7 times for 27 yards
Caught 2 passes for 15 yards
Thrown 1 pass for 38 yards
Made zero TDs

I know he plays special teams, blocks, and makes defenses pay attention when he's on the field. But is
that enough to justify 2 years 21 million? Even counting him as a 2nd string QB, (if he actually is or not is highly debatable),
top tier back ups make 6 or 7 million per year max... and those that make that much are extremely rare. I'm curious how
folks feel about us dedicating that much cap to a special teams player who averages around 3 touches per game.

Like I said, not hating on Taysom at all. I'm really glad we have him. Just pondering whether or not that contract was a
huge overpay or not. I kinda think it is. BUT, I do still hope that he becomes a much larger part of our offense.

If he's the same part-time player he's always been this year and an entry-level starting QB next year the numbers are fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom