Taysom gets a REAL contract extension 4yr-40 million 22 GTD at signing with QB raise clause. (2 Viewers)

I don't know if in the 19 pages of this thread if this has been mentioned but I keep seeing 10M per year like it's gospel... do we even know the structure of that contract lol?
For all we know he could have a huge base salary in year 4, non guaranteed, that he's never going to get. Look at Kamara's contract for example : 5 yr(s) / $75,000,000
But it's really more like a 4 yr(s) / $52,600,000 contract. His cap hit goes from 14M the previous 3 years to 25M in his last year, almost all of it in base salary and none of it guaranteed.

1637675360485.png

Would you guys still be mad if it's more like a 3 year 7M per year contract? I'd be happy with a contract like that personnally.
That's fine but why do we keep playing this mystical contract game with him? Last year it was the 140 mil contract and now it's the 90 mil contract. If Sean wants him to be the starter then name him the starter.

That's fine but why do we keep playing this mystical contract game with him? Last year it was the 140 mil contract and now it's the 90 mil contract. If Sean wants him to be the starter then name him the starter.
I actually think it's the opposite after stewing angrily over this for the last 12 hrs (lol)....the $95M QB clause is a guarantee that he doesn't play QB...it freaking better be.

His cap charge next year if he walked was going to be $8.9M.

With this deal $2.225M of the old signing bonus is still charged, a salary of likely $1.1M, and whatever the new signing bonus is divided for no more than 5 years. If that new bonus is $22.5 that would be $4.5M. That adds up to 2.225+1.1+ 4.5 = $7.825M as the new cap charge next year for an overall savings of $1.075M. It is possible that the $22.5M guarantee isn't all signing bonus so the savings could be a bit higher.

I don't know if in the 19 pages of this thread if this has been mentioned but I keep seeing 10M per year like it's gospel... do we even know the structure of that contract lol?
For all we know he could have a huge base salary in year 4, non guaranteed, that he's never going to get. Look at Kamara's contract for example : 5 yr(s) / $75,000,000
But it's really more like a 4 yr(s) / $52,600,000 contract. His cap hit goes from 14M the previous 3 years to 25M in his last year, almost all of it in base salary and none of it guaranteed.

1637675360485.png

Would you guys still be mad if it's more like a 3 year 7M per year contract? I'd be happy with a contract like that personnally.
This ^^^^ will probably get ignored, but it is an outstanding observation.

If you say so. He's going on 32 and there is no other team doing this, the just get people to play those positions.
I agree with the age thing but for context, both Taysom and Emmanuel Sanders had the same amount of overall snaps (559) last year. Sanders was playing on a 2yr 16M contract with 10M garaunteed, only playing 1yr, bringing down 8M of that.

So saints paid 8M for 1 yr of services from a 33yr/old #2 receiver. Now, 10M (if that) for a legitimate 31yr/old #2 QB/Flex TE/slot WR/RB/ST coverage ace doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

I don't love it, either. I feel like 7M-8M probably was the sweet spot.

Last edited:
I agree with the age thing but for context, both Taysom and Emmanuel Sanders had the same amount of overall snaps (559) last year. Sanders was playing on a 2yr 16M contract with 10M garaunteed, only playing 1yr, bringing down 8M of that.

So saints paid 8M for 1 yr of services from a 33yr/old #2 receiver. Now, 10M (if that) for a legitimate 31yr/old #2 QB/Flex TE/slot WR/RB/ST coverage ace doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

I don't love it, either. I feel like 7M-8M probably was the sweet spot.
Okay. Why now?

I hadn't factored in his age, but that's a great point. How many TE/RBs are still playing at a high level at 34, which he'll be in the middle of this deal? And Hill has a serious injury history. Can he still fill his joker role three seasons from now? Can he handle an expanded role to justify his pay? I have my doubts.

To me, this contract just makes no long-term sense unless we think he can become the QB, and if we think that, he has to start this year.
to be fair he took 4 years off after college so it wasnt all taking hits on his body

Im not terribly great with Math, but does this account for the nearly 9 million in prorated bonuses from his last contract? That money still needs to be accounted for because the $2.225 million per year for 4 years is already in his bank account.
Nobody knows the structure of his contract extension at the moment and base their opinion on that 4 years 40M number. My point is that this number could very well be a little bit inflated.

Nobody knows the structure of his contract extension at the moment and base their opinion on that 4 years 40M number. My point is that this number could very well be a little bit inflated.
It's a 22 million GTD deal. This is the number to focus on not... The 95 or 40 million.

Hopefully that's the case. Maybe his contract is like Kamara's where he can be cut to save 25mil in 2025 with 0 dead money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom